No announcement yet.

Not Only Does Mike Tyson Not Belong As A Top Ten HW, He's Not Even Close

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Divine Hammer View Post
    i think wlad could have beaten prime tyson.
    prime tyson would have been a stylistic nightmre for wlad. tyson kayos him within 5 rounds and this is coming from a wlad fan. tysons upper body movement and body punching would have doomed wlad

Comment

I really have no problem with people not having Iron Mike outside of their top 10.

I might be in the huge minority on this, but to me, Mikes most impressive performance was against Razor Ruddock in their first fight.

The Spinks and Holmes wins just aren't enough to push him into the upper echelon of top 10. It has always been more what could have been.

Comment

Comment

Mike Tyson is a top-five boxing LEGEND. His name is known the world over. Your pathetic rating system means nothing; Mike transcends the sport. He's a ****ing household name.

Comment

Originally posted by paulf View Post
            Mike Tyson is a top-five boxing LEGEND. His name is known the world over. Your pathetic rating system means nothing; Mike transcends the sport. He's a ****ing household name.
            No need to tell me.

You know what my graduation present from the 6th grade was?

From Glass Joe, to Super Macho Man. With Piston Honda, King Hippo, and Mr. Sand Man along the way. Learning all the patterns. When to use the star punch. When to get the hell out of the way.

I beat the game without the code.

Tyson was just about as big as it got in the sports world back in the 80's.

So I have a problem with him not being in somebodies top 10?

No.

Comment

Originally posted by paulf View Post
              I agree. paper ratings don't mean much. he made his mark by putting even non boxing fans in there seats. will never forget the anticipation before a Tyson fight even tho you knew it wasn't going to last long in most cases. Tyson was a beat atg or not

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
                I think Jersey Joe and Ezzard Charles were great too, but I have a problem with ranking them as top tier heavies when they really spent the majority of their careers in another or multiple other weightclass.
                Pretty much every one of Walcott's fights were at heavyweight.

He had like 5 below heavyweight at the very start of his career.

Comment

I don't know about Holyfield in the top ten all time at HW.

He's more of a P4P great fighter.

I think Holy loses to many HWs of the past, including the ones he "beat" Foreman and Holmes. Look at his HW career in which he was bested by Bowe and Lewis....he was never the man or dominate. We seem to love the guy because of his warrior spirit and the way he reinvented himself over and over again.

Also getting back to Tyson and Holyfield....I think both lose to each other at a certain time in their careers. Tyson beats Holyfield anywhere before 89 and Holy after that. Holy needed that physical strength he developed later by lifting weights with Lee Haney to hold off Tyson on the inside...

Comment

Originally posted by beez721 View Post
                    I agree. paper ratings don't mean much. he made his mark by putting even non boxing fans in there seats. will never forget the anticipation before a Tyson fight even tho you knew it wasn't going to last long in most cases. Tyson was a beat atg or not
                    So did Jack Dempsey. So did Ali and many others.

Comment

Originally posted by bklynboy View Post
                      So did Jack Dempsey. So did Ali and many others.
                      Simply not true!

Nobody OWNED a television back in those days to even watch Dempsey.

Nobody outside of boxing would PAY to fall asleep watching Ali run around barely even fighting for 15 rounds and rarely ever really score a proper knockdown.

You can't compare these 2 cans to Tyson!

Comment

Working...
                      X