Collapse
No announcement yet.

Article: Martinez cannot sleep at night, seeing psychologist after Cotto defeat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is a dangerous situation to be in. The people around him need to keep him out of the ring.

Comment

Makes me admire how strong mentally pac is. Hes in a higher place than martinez when he got ktfo by marquez. His rival for years. The problem with martinez is that he has no life outside of boxing. Ofcourse, itll make moving on harder. Itll make you think about it all the time. He also said a lot of stuffs before the fight that would make him bite his pillow every night starting from the loss. If hes not that mentally ready, he should not make a comeback. He put every bit of his pride in that fight. Cotto took his soul. Just like pacquiao took delahoyas.

Comment

Originally posted by dibzvincent143 View Post
        Makes me admire how strong mentally pac is. Hes in a higher place than martinez when he got ktfo by marquez. His rival for years. The problem with martinez is that he has no life outside of boxing. Ofcourse, itll make moving on harder. Itll make you think about it all the time. He also said a lot of stuffs before the fight that would make him bite his pillow every night starting from the loss. If hes not that mentally ready, he should not make a comeback. He put every bit of his pride in that fight. Cotto took his soul. Just like pacquiao took delahoyas.
        Wtf? How is this relevant

Now that *******s are in.....here come the Floyditios in 1...2...3

Comment

Originally posted by JaguaresMx View Post
          Huge warning signs against Murray.

Like RJ, his style had an expiration date.

Call it a day champ. It was fun but your body betrayed you.

When your body won't respond to your mind, its.over
          Very true. good post

Comment

Originally posted by dibzvincent143 View Post
            Calm down nuthugger. Martinez is older and maybe there is something else there from getting punched for years. He might have suffered concussion or his equilibrium is still thrown off. This may not be a mental thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
              Then you would have never gotten than money or fame. The reason that Martinez is who he is, and so are all of the great athletes, is because of this obsession with being the best.

One of the hardest thing that a champion can deal with is defeat, especially one as talented and prideful as Martinez. I have seen amateur standouts freeze in their first fight, lose and never fight again.

It's a very tough sport, and these fighters have huge ego's. When that ego is broken, it's one of the hardest things to deal with.

Exactly! could not say it better myself. People do not realize how revealing it is when they say things like: "well heck if I had a ____ dollars I would just relax. When a person says that it means that they will not amount to much when compared to people who really put their best foot foward and keep trying to become better. Of course the flip side of that is the ego driven impulsiveness. But as James Baldwin once said "you have to go which way your blood beats." One thing is for sure...Martinez is prolly not counting his millions right now.

Comment

Originally posted by JaguaresMx View Post
                Wtf? How is this relevant

Now that *******s are in.....here come the Floyditios in 1...2...3
                yeah like floyd, having to stay at the top and....Just kidding!

Seriously though it has been my observation that Cotto traditionally has been chronically underrated. He has done some good things over the years to adapt to changes such as learning how to box more (Mosley fight), and trying to improve from a technical perspective. But Cotto has always been good technically, he has always been a pressure fighter who saw results, including with a great body attack.

Some would argue that the Mayweather Cotto fight was closer than it appeared....I don't have an opinion about that. In general Cotto has been a lot better than he gets credit for and Marvella might have drank the koolade on that account. It did not help that Martinez has a very athletic approach to boxing and that Cotto really had a lot more experience in boxing than Martinez. I never thought Martinez was that good! But thats 50 50 hindsight.

Comment

Sad to hear. Reminds me of hattons downward spiral after pac. Hopefully sergio can overcome this.

Comment

Originally posted by Fetta View Post
                    Calm down nuthugger. Martinez is older and maybe there is something else there from getting punched for years. He might have suffered concussion or his equilibrium is still thrown off. This may not be a mental thing.
                    Its not a mental thing and hes seeing a psychologist? I just used the most famous example i could have that can probably relate to his situation right now. And for me that is pac, because it was a far worse loss. Martinez was never winning the fight since round 1. Its mental, he couldnt move on.

Comment

He should retire. It's over.

Comment

Working...
                      X