No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Brandon Rios Closes The Book on Conditioning Coaches

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deanrw View Post
    Back then is was all just the basics, Pounding the bags, sparring, jump rope, running and situps. They just fought more, and most stayed in shape between fights, except Duran hehe
    Duran had great discipline between fights during the 70s.

Comment

Didn't read anything here, but I've been saying that conditioning coaches are a dime a dozen. Pacquiao just proved that he didn't need Ariza. (It's Roach who insists that he needs one.) Conditioning coaches were distractions to Pacquiao. As you have seen, he was in perfect physical condition and it looked like he could go for five more rounds in the Rios fight. I recall that he was always out of breath in many of his fights when he was with Ariza. Maidana, who seemed to need it the most, didn't do well with Ariza.

Bottom line is fighters need to take control over their conditioning. It's their bodies.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
        I will say this, fighters of old, I mean in the 60's and before, never seemed to get tired.

They didn't do all this fancy weight lifting, strength and conditioning, nutritional stuff and yet managed to fight for 15 rounds.

Is it people nowadays or are we over training? What is it?
        I have also noticed this, it is a combination of both i believe. Genetically, boxers might be getting bigger physically but i believe they are getting worse genetics. Size is the only thing that is improving with modern fighters.

Strength, Speed, Stamina, heart, and Chin is getting worse.

There are some exceptions today.

But what is revealing is that it is modern boxers from USA etc that are slipping.

The eastern Europeans are better than ever. They punch harder than their American counterparts and have better stamina. They also do their training the old fashioned soviet way.

The food you Americans eat probably has something to do with it. There is too much ***** in food nowadays.
        Last edited by Kid-Chocolate; 07-09-2014, 12:09 PM. Reason: mistake

Comment

Originally posted by Box-Office View Post
          I guess the word you're looking for is road work.
          Fighters of today run as well.

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
          I don't understand it myself, bro. Maybe it was just a different attitude they had back then. The very best fighters still get into great shape.
          I don't know either, you think it could be something we are eating? The chemicals, the steroids?

IDK

Comment

Originally posted by Kid-Chocolate View Post
            I have also noticed this, it is a combination of both i believe. Genetically, boxers might be getting bigger physically but i believe they are getting worse genetics. Size is the only thing that is improving with modern fighters.

Strength, Speed, Stamina, heart, and Chin is getting worse.

There are some exceptions today.

But what is revealing is that it is modern boxers from USA etc that are slipping.

The eastern Europeans are better than ever. They punch harder than their American counterparts and have better stamina. They also do their training the old fashioned soviet way.

The food you Americans eat probably has something to do with it. There is too much ***** in food nowadays.
            You could be right.....

Comment

Fighters of today run as well.

I don't know either, you think it could be something we are eating? The chemicals, the steroids?

IDK
              Yeah, search on the internet and you will find that western food contains a lot of Chemicals and the containers themselves deposit chemicals in food.

Comment

He also lost to Abril what happened there???

Comment

GMOs didnt exist back then so food actually helped and gave real energy too, thats something to take into thought, i think this has alot to do with the increase of PEDS/TRT use... the food is just not enough

Comment

I will say this, fighters of old, I mean in the 60's and before, never seemed to get tired.

They didn't do all this fancy weight lifting, strength and conditioning, nutritional stuff and yet managed to fight for 15 rounds.

Is it people nowadays or are we over training? What is it?
                    It's selection bias, we tend to only remember the greatest fighters from the past, but I'm sure there were plenty of guys with crap stamina.

Comment

The way to bounce back from a defeat is definitely to be weaker and in worse condition.

Comment

Working...
                      X