No announcement yet.

Greatest Junior Welters of the last 24 years

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greatest Junior Welters of the last 24 years

So, this is a top 10 list of the greatest light welterweight fighters of the last 24 years, from 1990 to the present day. I was going to make one with an earlier time frame but...that required too much research lol

So here goes:

1. Julio Cesar Chavez Sr.
    Titles Held: WBC and IBF
    Defences: 17

Clearly one of the greatest fighters ever, fearsome, aggressive, powerful and with a titanium chin, much of CHavez's reign at the weight were in his latter years. A time when he wasn't as great as he had been at lightweight and super featherweight, yet, the fact that he was the leading fighter of his generation at the weight just go to show how great he was. The losses to Randall and Oscar do subtract a little from his run.

2. Kostya Tszyu
    Titles Held: Wbc, WBA and IBF
    Defences: 13

Tszyu could easily have been ranked as the very best 140 pounder I've ever seen but he suffered a horrendous KO loss, in his prime to a good but far from great fighter. His comeback was impressive and the run he had till the beating from Hatton was spectacular. Much of the second half of his career was hampered by injury and although he never had the longevity of Chavez, he made up for it with quality.

3. Ricky Hatton
    Titles Held: Lineal Championship, IBF, IBO and WBA
    Defences: 5

I'm discounted Hatton's run with the WBU title but it was a prety good run in itself, beating guys like Ben Tackie, Vinch Philips and Ray Oliviera is impressive for a man still in his early twenties. The fact that he looked dominant adds to the wins but his crowning moment will always be the stoppage of Tszyu. It was a brutal, rough and ugly fight but he eventually wore out the older champion and made him quit. He would stamp his authority one last time against Paulie Malignaggi, a final great performance.

4. Oscar De la Hoya
    Titles Held: WBC
    Defences: 1

The Golden Boy is often remembered for his title reigns at welterweight and light middleweight but some of his most impressives performances came at 140lb. He was impeccable at the weight, big, strong, fast and destructive, if only he could have stayed there a bit longer. A short but savage reign at the weight, filled with quality takes him into the top 5.

5. Timothy Bradley
    Titles Held: WBC and WBO
    Defences: 6

One of the most gifted fighters of his generation, Bradley earned his first title overseas against a well respected champion in Junior Witter. I remember watching that fight i#and it was a complete performance. Quick, aggressive and determined, Bradley used this throughout his reign, beating stand outs such as Peterson, Holt and Alexander. That final fight left a bad taste in the mouth, with neither man being truly effective and his admitted ducking of Amir Khan takes the shine off of an otherwise great legacy at the weight.

6. Miguel Cotto
    Titles Held: WBO
    Defences: 6

One of the most fearsome fighters at the weight, Cotto had immense power and looked to be an unstoppable knock out artist. He also showed a vulnerability against Torres but bounced back to win by stoppage. Big fights never materialised at the weight but watching Cotto at the weight just made you think, "who can beat this guy?". The prospect of a Hatton fight was mouth watering but it never happened.

7. Amir Khan
    Titles Held: WBA and IBF

One of Britain's brightest lights, Khan solidified his place as a leading light welter by beating the durable and underrated c#titlist Kotelnik, then continued to dismantle Paulie Malignaggi and go to war with the division's most feared punches, Marcos Maidana. It was an impressive run, taking into account the one sided unification of Judah. Khan would possibly place higher if he hadn't lost to Peterson and suffered at the hands of Danny Garcia.

8. Danny Garcia
    Titles Held: Lineal Champion, WBC and WBA

Garcia has his fair share of detractors but what he did to Amir Khan and then followed that up with a lopsided points victory over Lucas Matthysse solidifies his legacy as a top 140 pounder. Remember, Matthysse was thought of as the wrecking ball of the division and Khan was thought of as a step too far. Garcia doesn't too anything spectacular outside of impressive power but he is well schooled and a thinking fighter. The man at 140lb right now.

9. Manny Pacquiao
    Titles Held: Lineal Champion and IBO
    Defences: 0

Pacquiao is here because of one punch, one devastating, career handing hook which knocked Hatton, he reigning champion at the weight, into the middle of next week. It was brutal and beautiful in equal measure and just gets you thinking, what more could he have done at 140?

10. Devon Alexander
    Titles Held: WBC and IBF
    Defences: 2

The lasting image of Alexander at light welterweight is him quitting in the biggest fight of his career but maybe he should be remembered for his stoppage of Juan Urango, an accomplished fighter or his domination of Junior Witter. In terms of skill and speed, few in the division have come close to Alexander.

How is Amir khan higher than Danny Garcia? Also what weight did Julio fought Sweet Pea?

Comment

I'd put Zab Judah over Devon Alexander.

Comment

the list is really messed up as far as rankings..Who made this list??

Comment

Ben Tackie, Vince Phillips and Ray Olivera is "impressive" ???

I'm not a fanboy, nor am I a Floyd detractor; but seriously try to be reasonable and compare that to N'dou, Corley, Bruseles.
          Last edited by racer59; 07-05-2014, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Bradley should be in the top 4 on that list.....Alexander over Bradley, lol, wut?

EDIT**** My bad, I didn't even see Bradley on the list. Well, the list isn't that bad, pretty accurate imo. I figured I would admit to my mistake rather than erase my post.

Comment

smfh @this list :*******:

Rule #1: If you're going to compile a list of great boxers - At the very least, you must be objective and unbiased.

In essence, if you harbor fanboy sentiments don't even bother, because your attempt will just end up being a public fail.

Comment

Originally posted by Slick Veteran View Post
                How is Amir khan higher than Danny Garcia? Also what weight did Julio fought Sweet Pea?
                Khan's wins over Maidana, Kotelnik, should have gotten the nod over Peterson , Judah and Paulie are superb. All these guys were either current, past or future champs.

Garcia has great wins over Khan and Matthysse but he lacks depth and he almost got outboxed by Harrera. He faced an almost shot Judah whereas Khan faced a better version.

Originally posted by Evil Abed View Post
                I'd put Zab Judah over Devon Alexander.
                It was close between those guys but Judah was so up and down but Alexander looked good except for the bradley fight. dunno what happened to him there.

Originally posted by racer59 View Post
                Ben Tackie, Vince Phillips and Ray Olivera is "impressive" ???

I'm not a fanboy, nor am I a Floyd detractor; but seriously try to be reasonable and compare that to N'dou, Corley, Bruseles.
                Those fights add depth to Hatton's resume but his crowning jewel is beating up Tszyu, that surpasses any and everything Floyd did at welterweight. His only title win, if we can can call it that, was against a shot Gatti. It's not even close between Hatton and Floyd at 140.

Originally posted by mathed View Post
                Bradley should be in the top 4 on that list.....Alexander over Bradley, lol, wut?

EDIT**** My bad, I didn't even see Bradley on the list. Well, the list isn't that bad, pretty accurate imo. I figured I would admit to my mistake rather than erase my post.
                LOL good good

Originally posted by arraamis View Post
                smfh @this list :*******:

Rule #1: If you're going to compile a list of great boxers - At the very least, you must be objective and unbiased.

In essence, if you harbor fanboy sentiments don't even bother, because your attempt will just end up being a public fail.
                who am I being a fan boy to? You don't believe Chavez should be one? You don't think Tszyu should be there?

Maybe you think khan doesn't deserve a spot? I'm guessing that's what's hurting your feelings. Maybe you think Kotelnik, Paulie, Maidana and Judah got ribbed against him. Am I right?

Or what else, Pacquiao shouldn't be there? Hatton? Maybe Oscar?

LOL gtfo with your bull****

Comment

Khan has better wins than Hatton at 140 imo.

Hatton has the single best win though.

Comment

Originally posted by Andre Wardttke View Post
                    Khan has better wins than Hatton at 140 imo.

Hatton has the single best win though.
                    Pretty much but it's not all about resume, Hatton was a serious battering machine in the division, in his prime.

Prime Hatton v Khan at 140...Khan gets stopped inside 6.

Comment

Working...
                    X