"Alien" Hopkins vs "Krusher" Kovalev Post fight Discussion thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comment

• Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
      The game changer was Kovalev being fast enough and accurate enough to score from the outside, and being smart enough not to get greedy. That's what hurts a lot of guys against defensive fighters, they overstay their welcome and get mugged.

Hopkins looked like the same guy that's been there for the last few years. Still hard to hit, but not that explosive when he steps in. He made some bold attempts to stun Kovalev but he knew there was too much risk in what was coming back.

He needed Kovalev to gas but Kovalev paced himself too well. He took his time and picked his shots and once he could do that it was an uphill struggle for B-Hop.

Kovalev vs Ward or Stevenson are the fights to really look forward to now. It'll be interesting to see how Duva manages Kovalev's career from here on. Will he stay busy and look to build momentum like GGG, or will he defend the titles twice a year and wait for the big fights to come along?
      Hopkins was right about Krusher he is Frankenstein a monster with no master or boundaries.

I think they'll keep him active ala Golovkin he doesn't make enough money per fight to wait around so there will be some Capparello type defenses but that's just the lack of depth at LHW.

Comment

• Originally posted by TotalStud View Post
        Now comes the part where all of the guys saying Hopkins would spank Kovalev with his superior speed and precision and greatness etc suddenly decide he was just an old man and deride the victory as nothing special.

Lose-lose situation for Kovalev, but at least he won in the ring.

I predicted late stoppage or decision for Kovalev. I said before the fight I believed he is the real deal. It was a good win for Kovalev but don't pretend that 49 isn't old because it is. Hopkins was too old for a fighter like kovalev and showed that in the Chad Dawson fights. Hopkins great technique, experience, and intelligence can still beat certain fighters.That is the only thing that kept him from getting knocked out. But he can no longer beat truly elite fighters like Kovalev or even Stevenson in my opinion.

I said this long before so I'm not changing anything. Kovalev is the best fighter at 175 and it's going to take a special fighter to beat him. As of now, I don't see anybody else in that division going past eight rounds with him.

Comment

• Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
          I predicted late stoppage or decision for Kovalev. I said before the fight I believed he is the real deal. It was a good win for Kovalev but don't pretend that 49 isn't old because it is. Hopkins was too old for a fighter like kovalev and showed that in the Chad Dawson fights. Hopkins great technique, experience, and intelligence can still beat certain fighters.That is the only thing that kept him from getting knocked out. But he can no longer beat truly elite fighters like Kovalev or even Stevenson in my opinion.

I said this long before so I'm not changing anything. Kovalev is the best fighter at 175 and it's going to take a special fighter to beat him. As of now, I don't see anybody else in that division going past eight rounds with him.
          I wouldn't go that far, Alvarez, Beterbiev, Stevenson and even Pascal all have a good shot at going past 8, maybe even doing better than that.

Alvarez and Beterbiev looked very impressive in their last fights. Stevenson remains a threat if only because Kovalev is vulnerable to the left hand Pascal has great punch resistance and okay power of his own to fire back.

The division is live, I don't see it as a one horse race.
          Last edited by Weebler I; 11-09-2014, 11:58 AM.

Comment

• LOL

Comment

• Originally posted by Weebler I View Post
              I wouldn't go that far, Alvarez, Beterbiev, Stevenson and even Pascal all have a good shot at going past 8, maybe even doing better than that.

Alvarez and Beterbiev looked very impressive in their last fights. Stevenson remains a threat if only because Kovalev is vulnerable to the left hand Pascal has great punch resistance and okay power of his own to fire back.

The division is live, I don't see it as a one horse race.

You're entitled to your opinion but I think Kovalev stops all of those fighters and probably within eight rounds. I've never been overly impressed with Pascal and he tends to get very tired early and if he does that against Kovalev that's his ass. Not happening.

The main thing is getting the Stevenson fight with Kovalev made. That has been a hurdle so far. Stevenson has the best chance of anybody at 175 but I don't like how he reacts to getting hit hard.
              Last edited by joseph5620; 11-09-2014, 12:27 PM.

Comment

• Did anyone else take note of Sergey's anti-spoiling tactics? He was a bit rough/dirty when he needed to keep B-Hop stable.

Punching once at the bell a few times, holding around the head when BHop would try to maneuver and escape, and I think he's got a couple hit and holds as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
                  You're entitled to your opinion but I think. Kovalev stops all of those fighters and probably within eight rounds. I've never been overly impressed with Pascal and he tends to get very tired early and if he does that against Kovalev that's his ass. Not happening.

The main thing is getting the Stevenson fight with Kovalev made. That has been a hurdle so far.
                  agreed with the pascal part

pascal sucks, and i think unless he catches kovalev, i think kovalev will just beat the sht outta him and stop him, if i have any other doubts about that fight it's whether or not roy jones reforms pascal into something that's not sht, but i dont find it likely

Comment

• Originally posted by Dean_Razorback View Post
                    That has to at least be close to a record. 111 punches? That's not even 10 a round.

Comment

• I think Kov was trying to disrespect Stevenson during the post-fight.

Saying stuff like "Bernard still has chance at world title against Stevenson."

Since Stevenson ducked him the first time, now he has THREE belts and Stevenson looks like a damn *****

Comment

Working...
                      X