• should freddie roach train yuriokis gamboa

What cha think?
    yes
    60.47%
    no
    39.53%

Originally posted by Cotto's ahas View Post
    What cha think?
    Absolutely Not. Freddie Roach does not teach fighters defense and he does not teach them how to be smart. He needs either Ronnie Shields, or Naazim Richardson.

Comment

He should hire Terrance Crawford.

Comment

No i think he needs someone to improve his defense more than anything. But to be honest id take freddy in a heart beat over what he has right now which is nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by BrushMyHair View Post
          Absolutely Not. Freddie Roach does not teach fighters defense and he does not teach them how to be smart. He needs either Ronnie Shields, or Naazim Richardson.
          I totally agree, but I would add Floyd Sr., Roger, Eddie Mustafa Muhammad, Teddy Atlas, and Buddy McGuirt.

I've talked to a lot of boxers and been to a lot gyms and I'll have to say most boxers in Vegas told me that Eddie Mustafa Muhammad is a defensive genius. I like Teddy Atlas because his offensive scheme has built-in defense. Buddy McGuirt is the analyst and he makes great defensive adjustments in fights. Ronnie and Naazim are good as well. The problem is that most fan don't know enough about boxing to appreciate the talents of the trainer. Not to mention, often times a person can't really see it unless they've seen the work with fighters in the gym. I've personally seen Jeff Mayweather and Eddie Mustafa. Eddie's a master at what he does.

Gamboa's problem was not adjusting to Crawford's adjustment. If he's gonna fight tall fighters, then I would say he needs Teddy Atlas because Cus DeMado had a really complete short man's game. Once Crawford switched to south paw, he exploited Gamboa's left hand being down. Gamboa should've raise his hands; jabbed to get inside; quick jab to the body; pop back outside and make Crawford chase him; use faints to throw off Crawford's timing which would set up shots and counter shots. It was an awesome fight, but had Gamboa fought a better game plan and stuck with it, it would have really been more interesting seeing a highly skilled fight in which both fighters could've hurt each other with either hand.

Comment

He was training with Floyd Sr for the TC fight, specifically to work on keeping his hands up.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchAndShoot View Post
              He was training with Floyd Sr for the TC fight, specifically to work on keeping his hands up.
              That was a bit for a video he wasn't really being trained by Floyd sr. Wish he was tho anybody really.

Comment

I think it would be a good fit.. Roach does good we explosive fighters like yuri

Comment

Originally posted by BrushMyHair View Post
                  You can't teach someone to be "smart" ring IQ is what makes a boxer great.

I can agree that roach isn't a defense minded coach but your other criticism is unfounded.

Comment

Yes, I was thinking Roach would be a perfect fit.

Teaching an offensive fighter defense is not the cure, never has been. Very rarely do we see a fighter all of sudden learn a defensive approach in the middle of their career..

Cautious offense is much more well suited. Get back to basics. Gamboa needs someone to tell him that he doesn't need to jump in with high risk to get his punches off. He's more than capable, as seen in the early rounds of the fight.

Gamboa needs someone who will cater to his offensive style in a methodical manner, which is Roach. Freddie will give him the best tools to be successful with his offense.

As much hate as Roach gets on here, there's a brilliant method to his madness.

Comment

Working...
                    X