Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ricky Burns Appreciation

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've always enjoyed watching his fights. It's a shame the nonsense Warren belts and questionable decisions generate hate for him. It's not his fault.

Comment

Always got respect for someone who maximizes his talent with hard work and dedication to the sport.

Shame he became a figure of hate in the last few years as he personally has not deserved it

Comment

We need more boxers like Burns.
        He's not the best nor would he ever claim to be.
        I have no idea why people hate people so much if they have a short reign as champ.
        Same could be said for Cleverly.
        People hate on those who dodge or quit both comments I can't stand then hate on those that don't too.
        What makes really great boxers is the masses below them, who without there would be no sport pretty easy to be a fan of a long reigning world champ or an untested talented prospect.
        Just my two pence

Comment

He lost twice at domestic level which everyone seems to ignore. So I don't see why he can't drop back down there.

He overachieved winning two world titles. He was never anything special. Tough, plenty of heart, decent boxer but should really have never won two titles.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cyclone View Post
            Agreed, unmerited hate but what more do you expect from people who mock a man who didn't quit with a broken jaw in a fight?
            No respect, no class what so ever and absolutely zero understanding of what its like to fight through adversity.

Ricky Burns clearly wasn't the greatest of our era but he was a good champ whilst he had his run and as you said he holds some very good wins on his record, nothing to be ashamed of.

His downfall is the injury he sustained of the broken jaw after that happened he should of retired there and then, not everyone can return after such a bad injury look at Victor Ortiz?
            The only difference is Ortiz quit during the fight because of it which I can't really blame him none of us have suffered that sort of punishment, to be hit on your jaw when its already broken that must hurt ALOT!

But sure let the ******s pop in with their
            "He lost to Beltran doe, he suck doe"

He is easily one of the nicest pro-boxers I've ever met down to earth and not stuck up ass like others.
            Originally posted by Funky_Monk View Post
            We need more boxers like Burns.
            He's not the best nor would he ever claim to be.
            I have no idea why people hate people so much if they have a short reign as champ.
            Same could be said for Cleverly.
            People hate on those who dodge or quit both comments I can't stand then hate on those that don't too.
            What makes really great boxers is the masses below them, who without there would be no sport pretty easy to be a fan of a long reigning world champ or an untested talented prospect.
            Just my two pence
            You 2 are spot on!

Ricky had immense heart, even now, at this stage in his career where he seems to be clearly physically shot, he has no quit in him.

For anyone who has ever boxed and suffered a hand, wrist or jaw injury, knows how painful it is, to fight through it at the world level is just amazing.

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
            He lost twice at domestic level which everyone seems to ignore. So I don't see why he can't drop back down there.

He overachieved winning two world titles. He was never anything special. Tough, plenty of heart, decent boxer but should really have never won two titles.
            Yes, but for the last few years he was fighting at world level against good opposition and at times winning well.

Going down to domestic level won't exactly be like facing Gonzalez, Beltran, Martinez etc.

Also, his original loss came against Alex Arthur, a guy with a heck of a resume...you may call him domestic but he was one of the leading super feathers in Europe, winning all the important titles except a full world title. That's not bad.

And why do you say he should never have won two titles ? His first world title win was over an undefeated Roman Martinez, a guy who just gave one of the new golden boys Mikey Garcia a tough, tough fight. Burns beat a version who was clearly better and in his prime.

His second (full) title win came against Paulus Moses, who was by no means a push over. The fact that Burns boxed him almost to a shut out is oft forgotten.

What we have to remember is, Ricky was not a great fighter but he reached very near the top of his weight class, and did so in some exciting, fun fights with great heart and determination. Can't fault him for that.

Comment

When I say he should have never won world titles at two weights, I'm giving him credit because he's overachieved for his talent level which is not particularly high.

Comment

i'll def tell my grandkids about him.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
                  And why do you say he should never have won two titles ? His first world title win was over an undefeated Roman Martinez, a guy who just gave one of the new golden boys Mikey Garcia a tough, tough fight. Burns beat a version who was clearly better and in his prime.
                  1) Martinez didn't give Mikey a tough fight. Outside of round 2, it was a walk in the park for Mikey.

2) I don't know why you think that Burns beat a better version of Martinez. As far as I know Rocky is still in his prime, and you could also say he had less experience and was untested at the time.
                  Last edited by Loque-san; 06-28-2014, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Yeah, lets appreciate mediocrity! hooraaa!

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
                      You 2 are spot on!

Ricky had immense heart, even now, at this stage in his career where he seems to be clearly physically shot, he has no quit in him.

For anyone who has ever boxed and suffered a hand, wrist or jaw injury, knows how painful it is, to fight through it at the world level is just amazing.

Yes, but for the last few years he was fighting at world level against good opposition and at times winning well.

Going down to domestic level won't exactly be like facing Gonzalez, Beltran, Martinez etc.

Also, his original loss came against Alex Arthur, a guy with a heck of a resume...you may call him domestic but he was one of the leading super feathers in Europe, winning all the important titles except a full world title. That's not bad.

His second (full) title win came against Paulus Moses, who was by no means a push over. The fact that Burns boxed him almost to a shut out is oft forgotten.

What we have to remember is, Ricky was not a great fighter but he reached very near the top of his weight class, and did so in some exciting, fun fights with great heart and determination. Can't fault him for that.
                      Wasn't really a tough fight for Garcia he won quite easily I'd say, other than getting a flash knockdown early.

Burns has done great in his career considering what he brings to the table. Two weight Champion, outstanding really. He's the epitome of an overachiever.

Shame the Broner fight never happened would liked to have seen that.

Comment

Working...
                      X