No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Foolish Pick Opens Door To Super Fight Possibilities

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Foolish Pick Opens Door To Super Fight Possibilities

By Lyle Fitzsimmons - It’s one thing to be wrong.

It’s another thing to be so preposterously wrong that you breathe deeply and thank God for the restraint that kept you from making a really stupid wager on what you saw as a sure thing.

Such was the case with me, Miguel Cotto and Sergio Martinez on Saturday night.

As you might have read in this space last week, I had no doubts heading into the weekend.

The reigning middleweight champion was bigger, stronger, faster, more accomplished and simply itching for the chance to take a few nicely-compensated whacks at a guy he considered an A-side diva.

I got to the Garden, sat inches above an ice-cold slab through undercard bouts that were intermittently titillating and trance-inducing, and waited for my Tuesday morning forecast to be proven prescient.

In fact, as a colleague arrived in the media section just a few seconds before the opening bell and asked who I liked, I dropped my pen, leaned to my right and said, “To be honest, I think Sergio kicks his ass.”

A minute later, the champ was on the floor … and I was frantically texting my wife to promise I hadn’t gone through with the boast I made as I headed for the airport – that I’d “bet the house” on Sergio.

After all, to be proven a fool is one thing.

To be left a homeless fool because of it is quite another.

Still, now that a few days have passed and the initial shock has faded, I actually would have a hard time being happier that Cotto took care of his business. I’ve been a fan of his for many years, have always found him cordial, professional and accommodating with his interviews and have long considered him to be one of the truly decent guys both in and out of the ring.

He may have been a diva, but he certainly proved his point.

And now that he’s done so, my heart’s been set to racing as I ponder what might be next. [Click Here To Read More]

Every martinez fan was proven a fool and though they are too prideful to admit they were wrong, they come up with excuses to stay face!!! The fans like myself who rode with cotto up until the fight look like geniuses are still not given any credit becuz all the crap they talked before the fight like cotto is gonna get murdered blah blah blah are now saying "oh his knee thiz his knee that, he was old" blah blah blah!! Man up martinez fans, this is the internet it aint serious you cant cash that green k, none of that!! B real thats it!! Hate it or luv it i really dont care!!!

Comment

Originally posted by drenlou View Post
      Every martinez fan was proven a fool and though they are too prideful to admit they were wrong, they come up with excuses to stay face!!! The fans like myself who rode with cotto up until the fight look like geniuses are still not given any credit becuz all the crap they talked before the fight like cotto is gonna get murdered blah blah blah are now saying "oh his knee thiz his knee that, he was old" blah blah blah!! Man up martinez fans, this is the internet it aint serious you cant cash that green k, none of that!! B real thats it!! Hate it or luv it i really dont care!!!
      Lol, everyone knew his injuries would give Cotto a shot, and thats what it turned out to be.

Whats your point,

Comment

Originally posted by ElMeroChingon View Post
        Lol, everyone knew his injuries would give Cotto a shot, and thats what it turned out to be.

Whats your point,
        Excuses,excuses,excuses, iam done with you, you are prt of the fans iam talking about!!! All talk before the fight all excuses after the fight!! Take care though.

Comment

NOOOOOO, can we please just have an actual true MIDDLEWEIGHT fight for a MIDDLEWEIGHT title! Pac or Floyd have a plethora of belts and fights floating around in the other weight classes, they don't need to make questionable "history" by fighting a chunky cotto, especially with new fighters that have come out in welterweight like Thurman and Porter etc etc.

Lets see either Canelo or GGG wrest the belt from Cotto then face off eachother, this would be a million times more interesting.

Comment

Floyd Mayweather vs. Miguel Cotto II
            Keith Thurman vs. Marcos Maidana

I think that'd be one hell of a 1-2 punch for a PPV in September.

Comment

I'll admit that I did not see that coming whatsoever. It was sad to watch at the end. Bad for fans of Martinez but good for fans of the sport because of the possible fights that can be made in the future for Cotto. You can put him against any reputable fighter at 154 and 160 and it will sell very well. Bring on Canelo!

Comment

Gotta admit, I picked sergio to win comfortably (injuries or not) . I mean, teddy atlas was picking cotto! That had me certain cotto was done haha

Comment

While he may be a television free agent, Cotto is now promoted by Top Rank, which means, a second fight with Mayweather won't happen. That's too bad, I'd like to see Miguel get a second crack at Floyd.

If Canelo beats Lara, I think Cotto vs Canelo finally gets made, but Canelo is tied to Showtime contractually (I believe). Top Rank would have to work with Showtime to get the fight made (as they did with Pacquiao vs Mosely).

Comment

Originally posted by El Chicano View Post
                    While he may be a television free agent, Cotto is now promoted by Top Rank, which means, a second fight with Mayweather won't happen. That's too bad, I'd like to see Miguel get a second crack at Floyd.

If Canelo beats Lara, I think Cotto vs Canelo finally gets made, but Canelo is tied to Showtime contractually (I believe). Top Rank would have to work with Showtime to get the fight made (as they did with Pacquiao vs Mosely).
                    I don't think hes under contract with Bob Arum. He works with him probably the same way Mayweather worked with GBP. They promoted his shows but he could have left any time he wanted. Cotto can likely do the same.

Comment

Working...
                    X