No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Foolish Pick Opens Door To Super Fight Possibilities

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ElMeroChingon View Post
    Lol, everyone knew his injuries would give Cotto a shot, and thats what it turned out to be.

Whats your point,
    Nope, even with not being 100 percent, Martinez was still 'gonna slaughter cotto'.

You were wrong!

Comment

Stylistically, Cotto would've beaten a healthy Martinez anyways

Cotto struggles when you back him up ala Pacquiao or Margarito, Martinez likes to fight off the back foot and has his hands too low with is dumb against a guy who leads with a left hook

The only question was will Cotto's power carry up to 160. The answer is a definitive yes.

Comment

Originally posted by kingstip9 View Post
        Gotta admit, I picked sergio to win comfortably (injuries or not) . I mean, teddy atlas was picking cotto! That had me certain cotto was done haha
        I went to the fight but once I saw teddy picked cotto I thought for sure Martinez would win, even a broken clock is right twice a day

Comment

I also like many crashed on this one since I had picked Martinez to win by KO.. Even with Martinez's past injuries I Thought he was too big & with his southpaw stance(that has always given Cotto trouble)& speed, power & weight advantage it was all in the bag for Martinez, but it was Martinez that got bagged. At least with this victory the drought is over & We finally have a world champ. A lot people have the misconception that because one thinks one guy is gonna win(in this case Martinez) that they automatically want the other guy to loose(in this case Cotto) & it's not like that.(I got a lot of heat from My own peeps for picking Martinez to win) But gotta say that it wasn't the same Martinez from 3 or 4 fights ago that fought Chavez jr & Macklin, this Martinea was more flat footed, stable(wasn't as jumpy) & was not accurate at all with his punches & after the first knockdown was dragging his feet. Cotto on the otherwise was on point, great shape, very accurate & had not been seen like that since his victory over Mosley.

Comment

Originally posted by swizz View Post
            I went to the fight but once I saw teddy picked cotto I thought for sure Martinez would win, even a broken clock is right twice a day
            Teddy Atlas is one of the worst at picking fighters to win, I actually thought he picked Cotto on purpose so he would loose cause in past fights that Cotto won he picked the other guy. This is the first time in a long while I see someone that Teddy picked win.

Comment

Originally posted by drenlou View Post
              Every martinez fan was proven a fool and though they are too prideful to admit they were wrong, they come up with excuses to stay face!!! The fans like myself who rode with cotto up until the fight look like geniuses are still not given any credit becuz all the crap they talked before the fight like cotto is gonna get murdered blah blah blah are now saying "oh his knee thiz his knee that, he was old" blah blah blah!! Man up martinez fans, this is the internet it aint serious you cant cash that green k, none of that!! B real thats it!! Hate it or luv it i really dont care!!!
              I'm convinced some of you are just stupid sometimes. Myself as an example. I'm a fan of both fighters, through and through. You don't have to be a fan of one fighter to presume he wins young un. Martinez was the betting favorite for a reason. A sensible reason at that. To insinuate the masses that picked Martinez were simply (Martinez) fans is utterly ******ed.

Now while (you), and the legion of clueless idolaters of certain fighters might pick your guy simply because you walk around carrying their nutts on your shoulders, other might be a fan of the sport and choose fighters based on more conventional wisdoms. Like in this case, Martinez was supposed to be bigger, stronger and faster. A safe bet. Cotto simply chose to be great that night and upset the apple cart. It happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Apache View Post
                I'm convinced some of you are just stupid sometimes. Myself as an example. I'm a fan of both fighters, through and through. You don't have to be a fan of one fighter to presume he wins young un. Martinez was the betting favorite for a reason. A sensible reason at that. To insinuate the masses that picked Martinez were simply (Martinez) fans is utterly ******ed.

Now while (you), and the legion of clueless idolaters of certain fighters might pick your guy simply because you walk around carrying their nutts on your shoulders, other might be a fan of the sport and choose fighters based on more conventional wisdoms. Like in this case, Martinez was supposed to be bigger, stronger and faster. A safe bet. Cotto simply chose to be great that night and upset the apple cart. It happens.

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
                  By Lyle Fitzsimmons - It’s one thing to be wrong.

It’s another thing to be so preposterously wrong that you breathe deeply and thank God for the restraint that kept you from making a really stupid wager on what you saw as a sure thing.

Such was the case with me, Miguel Cotto and Sergio Martinez on Saturday night.

As you might have read in this space last week, I had no doubts heading into the weekend.

The reigning middleweight champion was bigger, stronger, faster, more accomplished and simply itching for the chance to take a few nicely-compensated whacks at a guy he considered an A-side diva.

I got to the Garden, sat inches above an ice-cold slab through undercard bouts that were intermittently titillating and trance-inducing, and waited for my Tuesday morning forecast to be proven prescient.

In fact, as a colleague arrived in the media section just a few seconds before the opening bell and asked who I liked, I dropped my pen, leaned to my right and said, “To be honest, I think Sergio kicks his ass.”

A minute later, the champ was on the floor … and I was frantically texting my wife to promise I hadn’t gone through with the boast I made as I headed for the airport – that I’d “bet the house” on Sergio.

After all, to be proven a fool is one thing.

To be left a homeless fool because of it is quite another.

Still, now that a few days have passed and the initial shock has faded, I actually would have a hard time being happier that Cotto took care of his business. I’ve been a fan of his for many years, have always found him cordial, professional and accommodating with his interviews and have long considered him to be one of the truly decent guys both in and out of the ring.

He may have been a diva, but he certainly proved his point.

And now that he’s done so, my heart’s been set to racing as I ponder what might be next. [Click Here To Read More]
                  Way to man up Lyle! And I agree the Mayweather fight is the likely scenario.

Great atmosphere that night at the Garden but I could have did without the Vazquez jr fight.....total dud.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Apache View Post

Clearly an example of a "butthurt" fan who picked against cotto for stuid reasons like his size disizAdvantage rather then judging both fighters based of their skillset, even thoigh he will try to convince others size was not the real reason!! Man up becuz yu were badly wrong , but to you it just "happens"!!! Okay now.....

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
                      By Lyle Fitzsimmons - It’s one thing to be wrong.

It’s another thing to be so preposterously wrong that you breathe deeply and thank God for the restraint that kept you from making a really stupid wager on what you saw as a sure thing.

Such was the case with me, Miguel Cotto and Sergio Martinez on Saturday night.

As you might have read in this space last week, I had no doubts heading into the weekend.

The reigning middleweight champion was bigger, stronger, faster, more accomplished and simply itching for the chance to take a few nicely-compensated whacks at a guy he considered an A-side diva.

I got to the Garden, sat inches above an ice-cold slab through undercard bouts that were intermittently titillating and trance-inducing, and waited for my Tuesday morning forecast to be proven prescient.

In fact, as a colleague arrived in the media section just a few seconds before the opening bell and asked who I liked, I dropped my pen, leaned to my right and said, “To be honest, I think Sergio kicks his ass.”

A minute later, the champ was on the floor … and I was frantically texting my wife to promise I hadn’t gone through with the boast I made as I headed for the airport – that I’d “bet the house” on Sergio.

After all, to be proven a fool is one thing.

To be left a homeless fool because of it is quite another.

Still, now that a few days have passed and the initial shock has faded, I actually would have a hard time being happier that Cotto took care of his business. I’ve been a fan of his for many years, have always found him cordial, professional and accommodating with his interviews and have long considered him to be one of the truly decent guys both in and out of the ring.

He may have been a diva, but he certainly proved his point.

And now that he’s done so, my heart’s been set to racing as I ponder what might be next. [Click Here To Read More]

Much Props to the author! Great read.

Comment

Working...
                      X