Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Carl Froch Offer Joe Calzaghe The £10 Million To Come Back And Fight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No one is going to offer £10 mill, no one!

Comment

I'd watch the **** out of that fight and so would all of you

Comment

42 yr olds who have been retired for 6 years do not come out of retirement and fight world champions or anyone else who is half decent no matter how good they used to be in 2008. At his best Calzaghe was a different level to Froch and would have completely outclassed him, now it would be a meaningless fight.

Comment

Originally posted by hogey View Post
          42 yr olds who have been retired for 6 years do not come out of retirement and fight world champions or anyone else who is half decent no matter how good they used to be in 2008. At his best Calzaghe was a different level to Froch and would have completely outclassed him, now it would be a meaningless fight.
          Good post.

Comment

Not 42 but longer retired and in terrible shape, James J. Jeffries came out of retirement 6 years after his last fight and fought straight away against the world heavyweight champion Jack Johnson.

Thought you would know that considering your display pic is an oldie
            Last edited by MBE; 06-05-2014, 06:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MBE View Post
              James J. Jeffries came out of retirement 6 years after his last fight and fought straight away against the world heavyweight champion Jack Johnson.

A very different time and place than today. I do though know plenty about the Jeffries v Johnson fight and the fact he got completely outclassed proves the point. Jeffries was also 7 years younger than Calzaghe and had 23 less fights.
              We cant really use something that happened 104 years ago as a guide for the 2014 boxing world because it has no more relevance than us saying because Bob Fitzsimmons won the Middleweight, Light Heavy and Heavyweight titles then so should GGG.
              Last edited by hogey; 06-05-2014, 06:32 AM.

Comment

A very different time and place than today. I do though know plenty about the Jeffries v Johnson fight and the fact he got completely outclassed proves the point. Jeffries was also 7 years younger than Calzaghe and had 23 less fights.
                Jeffries was always going to get beat by Johnson had he retired or not.

My point remains that a former great champion can come out of a retirement and go straight into a world title fight.

A modern example is when Vladimir klitschkos team attempted to lure Lenox Lewis out of retirement for his demanded 50million. He replied that the figure had gone up to 100 million, but the point is the offer was made by the champion.

Comment

Not 42 but longer retired and in terrible shape, James J. Jeffries came out of retirement 6 years after his last fight and fought straight away against the world heavyweight champion Jack Johnson.

Jeffries was always going to get beat by Johnson had he retired or not.

My point remains that a former great champion can come out of a retirement and go straight into a world title fight.

A modern example is when Vladimir klitschkos team attempted to lure Lenox Lewis out of retirement for his demanded 50million. He replied that the figure had gone up to 100 million, but the point is the offer was made by the champion.
                  All due respect mate your point is a 104 year old proof that middle aged men should not come out of retirement. I was not saying it cant happen i was saying it should and would not. Lewis was smart enough to realise this himself again cementing the point that only a fool would do it. People also talking about Vitali coming back should also remember he is 42 the same age as Calzaghe and he returned to boxing at the same year Calzaghe actually retired after having 12 fights more.

Comment

No. I respect Joe's accomplishments, but I never liked his style, and I don't think anyone really misses him. Froch has a lot of options as it is (Jr., GGG, Ward II, Kessler III, DeGale). There's no need to drag Joe out of retirement.

Comment

i don't want to see it, but it's up to calzaghe.

when a fighter is horribly off the deep end, i don't think he should even be allowed to choose to come back. joe was fading, but he never took a pasting in his career. his speech is fine. by all accounts he's still mentally fit.

prime calzaghe won't lose a round to froch. he'd just be too fast. if he does lose a round, it would probably be a two point round. he'd get back up, finish the round, and go back to boxing froch's doors off.

Comment

Working...
                      X