Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why doesn't Kovalev go fight for Showtime?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jas View Post
    HBO said they do not rule anyone out.

Showtime only have worked with gbp recently

hbo have worked with various promoters
    http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id...hip-golden-boy

When did they make up?

Comment

Originally posted by Holywarrior View Post
      http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=640416

also, ggg's team made offer to schaefer and schaefer an open trade/bidding war between the 2 networks knowing full well ggg is tied with hbo

Comment

Originally posted by jas View Post
        http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=640416

also, ggg's team made offer to schaefer and schaefer an open trade/bidding war between the 2 networks knowing full well ggg is tied with hbo
        That's Quillen though, Quillen is being babysat for Canelo. Kovalev has nothing but incentive to go to Showtime now that he has name recognition.

Comment

I don't think it's good idea to jump into Showtime right now, when you've got Haymon then GBP fighters fighting for TV dates with lesser exposure. These guys pretty much have priority, depending on how he losses it'll dent his marketability.

HBO is wide open, and has less amount of competition with more exposure. If the money is the same why jump?

It wasn't his fault the Stevenson fight went down.

He has over a million people watching his fights to help build/hype his name up; it doesn't hurt during negotiations.

Unless, Showtime is willing to dish out nice minimum guarantee for a number of dates, I wouldn't jump.

Build enough hype and string together some impressive wins, and fights will come to you. He doesn't need to jump ship and chase those fights.

Comment

Im positive kov has a contract with HBO. I remember Duva said it was contigent on kov beating cleverly. Before he fought Cleverly, he was going to fight Hopkins on Showtime as his mando, but Espinoza regected the fight because he wanted to protect his cashcow.

Comment

(1) Kovalev has a multi-fight deal with HBO.
              (2) Main Events have a good working relationship with HBO.
              (3) Hopkins and Stevenson don't want to fight him anyway.
              (4) Stevenson isn't even a long-term Showtime fighter (as per his promoter).
              (5) After Hopkins-Stevenson, there will only be one champ which might not be a Sho fighter (Hopkins).
              (6) Almost all the other fighters on the division are able to fight on HBO.
              Last edited by Weebler I; 05-21-2014, 09:46 PM.

Comment

I'm sure Kovalev would go to Showtime if he could. Especially since he would probably make more money there than that chump change offer HBO put on the table. But this is Duvas call. Main Events is a small outfit and can't afford to be burning bridges with HBO. Duva has other fighters to think about. And she doesn't want to be stuck on NBCSports for the rest of her life.

Comment

The trend of Larry's post is always for a non-black fighter to bow down to the black fighter. Farrakhan never fails with his views

Comment

Originally posted by LarryXXX View Post
                    All the other champions are on Showtime...so why stay with HBO??
                    Why doesn't Manny? Then I can watch Floyd batter him for 12 straight.

Comment

Are you serious here Larry? Why should Kovalev chase fighters to another network who already showed much interest in avoiding him already?

Will he have to sign with Haymon also? This is just getting silly

Comment

Working...
                      X