No announcement yet.

Arum: "Mayweather-Maidana didn't even hit 800,000, it lost a lot of money"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jermaine83 View Post
    and the more stacked the undercard, the more it benefits us fight fans so enjoy instead of moaning.. would you rather watch *****e undercards..? lol..WOW!
    no i rather get faded joke around with some friends until the main event comes on LOL!!

Comment

Originally posted by House of Stone View Post
      so pac basically by himself does about the same numbers as floyd plus stacked undercard
      Not just a stacked undercard. The most expensive card ever made according to Schaefer himself.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
        You guys that are happy this has happened are idiots. We need to support boxing, no matter if it's a fighter you dont' like. If boxing doesn't turn a profit, then guess what, they won't put it on as frequently.

I want ALL fights to do well.
        PPV isn't good for the sport. It means significantly fewer people will watch the fight. The less PPVs we have the better.

Comment

The truth in this quote.

Schaefer, Golden Boy Promotions CEO, reckons Mayweather's fight on 3 May against Marcos Maidana at the MGM Grand will be "the most expensive pay-per-view card we have ever put together and I believe the most expensive card ever put together in the sport of boxing". He adds pointedly: "I want to thank Floyd Mayweather for making this card happen.".

Straight from thr horses mouth. Most expensive card lol

Comment

Originally posted by Evol View Post
            floyd vs maidana had the most expensive under cards. even the man promoting it said so LOL.
            YES. but my point is it these decent undercards benefit the fans, dont it?
            Why you moaning.. so what if it was expensive.. Floyd still getting more than us or any other athlete so why rejoice cause his PPV MAYBE did 900,000? that's what i dont get.
            Pac did less than that in his last 2 fights but i dont give a crap cause his pay check exceeds mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
              PPV isn't good for the sport. It means significantly fewer people will watch the fight. The less PPVs we have the better.
              Are you serious?

PPV is the only thing that boxing has left...lol

Let's be real here for a second, boxing is not the world wide sport it once was. It's not on the front page of the news anymore, it's a fringe sport that is mostly watched by the hardcore fans.

Once upon a time it was on Wide World of Sports and now it's relegated to ESPN on Friday nights, and the pay channels.

We need good PPV numbers so companies like Showtime and HBO continue to want to invest money in these shows.

Comment

Why you moaning.. so what if it was expensive.. Floyd still getting more than us or any other athlete so why rejoice cause his PPV MAYBE did 900,000? that's what i dont get.
                Pac did less than that in his last 2 fights but i dont give a crap cause his pay check exceeds mine.
                The superstars of the sports get paid excessively. The unknown ones building names are left to get chump changed that's why.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
                  Are you serious?

PPV is the only thing that boxing has left...lol

Let's be real here for a second, boxing is not the world wide sport it once was. It's not on the front page of the news anymore, it's a fringe sport that is mostly watched by the hardcore fans.

Once upon a time it was on Wide World of Sports and now it's relegated to ESPN on Friday nights, and the pay channels.

We need good PPV numbers so companies like Showtime and HBO continue to want to invest money in these shows.
                  I don't believe so.

Ross Greenburg, then president of HBO Sports, called the expansion of pay-per-view "the biggest economic issue in boxing", stating "I can't tell you that pay-per-view helps the sport because it doesn't. It hurts the sport because it narrows our audience, but it's a fact of life. Every time we try to make an HBO World Championship Boxing fight, we're up against mythical pay-per-view numbers. HBO doesn't make a lot of money from pay-per-view. There's usually a cap on what we can make. But the promoters and fighters insist on pay-per-view because that's where their greatest profits lie."

"It's a big problem," Greenburg continues. "It's getting harder and harder to put fighters like Manny Pacquiao on HBO World Championship Boxing. If Floyd Mayweather beats Oscar, he might never fight on HBO World Championship Boxing again. But if HBO stopped doing pay-per-view, the promoters would simply do it on their own [like Bob Arum did with Cotto-Malignaggi in June 2006] or find someone else who will do it for them."

Former HBO Sports President Seth Abraham concurs, saying, "I think, if Lou (DiBella) and I were still at HBO, we'd be in the same pickle as far as the exodus of fights to pay-per-view is concerned."

Comment

i dont care really i dont.. i was only replying to u cause u said floyd vs maidana had a decent under cards only. so thats why i said decent only but it was the most expensive ever LOL.

Comment

• In a perfect world, there would be no PPV's

Boxing would be shown on network TV with no commercials and no censorship

But boxing is a business. If a network loses money they have to cut back their annual boxing budget. The same thing happened to HBO a few years ago when they were still working with GBP. These networks don't have unlimited amount of funds in their boxing budget.

Comment

Working...
                      X