Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bermane Stiverne vs. Deontay Wilder

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think what happened to Stiverne was that he might have peaked early in training camp, he was saying before the fight that he was ready a month before the fight, so a month ago he probably would have been more sharp, but I suspect that is why he says he didn't feel as sharp in the ring as he felt in the gym. In any case, I give Wilder props, he showed that he is certainly legit. I was impressed by how he utilized and worked behind the jab. However, he has to improve his defense, also improve his footwork, and stamina a bit. He can't beat Klitschko or Tyson Fury right now, but it will be interesting to see who he fights next.

Comment

• Going to be interesting what route Vlad takes now with Wilder having a piece of the heavyweight crown. Deontay's saying unification. Would be shocked if that fight took place. I remember reading that Vlad's camp sent Wilder home after 1 day of sparring.

Respect to the brothers. Great ambassadors for all sport, but must be a little refreshing for the heavyweight division after over a decade of Klitschko dominance.

Comment

• Good win for Wilder

Comment

• I can't take anything away from Wilder.

He proved he can take a shot, go the distance and control a decent, dangerous fighter with a rock solid chin.

Stiverne's plan was clearly to hope Wilder ran out of gas in the second half of the fight, and while he did slow down, Stiverne never increased the pressure and take any momentum.

It is kind of sad for me that the coveted WBC HW belt is contested between two pretty average boxers - Wilder was protected and will now be the cash cow for sometime.

Wilder has a very decent jab, long reach and real power in the right hand but his inside game is weak and his 'hooks' or haymakers are just plain ugly.

Tyson Fury would be an interesting opponent, as would David Haye (more movement than Stiverne).

In 18 months Anthony Joshua could be a hell of a fight...

Comment

• dammit, only when i lay in bed did i have the clear mind to realize this fight would go the distance with wilder outboxing stiverne

Comment

• i tuned in from the 6th round onwards and wilder essentially won all the rounds with the exception of maybe 1. he fought a smart fight, that 1-2 won him the fight. is he ready for wlad? hell no

also i never realised how light wilder was, he is only 220lbs for a guy that tall. when he gets hit by fury or wlad there is going to be massive weight difference

Comment

• I take my hat off to Wilder,he can box.He used his height and reach to perfection last night,great stuff.The heavyweight division is starting to look a little decent now,first time in a very long time.

Comment

• Wilder needs to keep building that stamina (more road work and more sparring rounds).

I am interested in fights vs. Tyson Fury, Alexander Povetkin, and Wladimir Klitschko.

Comment

• To the 6 that picked Wilder by decision...

Comment

• I give Wilder an A- for his performance. He boxed and fought at a nice measured pace. He used his height and reach well and fought pretty good on the outside. He had his spots where he hurt Stiverne but he didn't overcommit and caught with a counter punch (which I though he would). Also, I was very impressefd with Deontay's defense. He used his height and athleticism to move out of the way Stiverne's punches. He also rolled with some of the power shots that did land.

The only crticims I have is that he doesn't have a good inside game and his doesn't have enough variety in his punch output. He's very reliant and comfortable with the jab and right hand. When he had Stiverne hurt on numerous occasions, he just threw the one-two one-two combo, with the occasional left. With the high guard, Stiverne was able to withstand most of those punches.

Overall, this was a good performance and good experience for Wilder. He can only build on it

Comment

Working...
                      X