No announcement yet.

How does Mikey Garcia look now that

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by garfios View Post
    so when Gamboa did the exact same thing he was ducking rios...
    When people say Gamboa ducked Rios, I do this

Comment

Originally posted by Adamjr91 View Post
      When people say Gamboa ducked Rios, I do this
      garcia has being ducking Gamboa for years now...

Comment

When Arum is involved and leaking stuff against a fighter refusing to re-sign with him, it's hard to tell fiction from fact.

One thing that is fact (and it's a post I've made many times but worth repeating, I think) - when Mikey breaking through as a prospect, and Gamboa was a big name being pushed as a star for HBO, Mikey would regularly say Gamboa was the one fight he wanted badly - he would expose Gamboa's flaws. I remember watching Mikey saying this on video (and with a quiet conviction meaning you knew he was serious).

A few years later, when Mikey became the guy with the HBO push, and Gamboa was on the outside looking in, and with little leverage......Mikey suddenly started very reluctant to make the fight.

Now, this reversal might reveal more about how ALL hungry, young fighters become risk-averse once they hit the big time (and isn't just specific to Mikey) - but I can't help but feel very frustrated how someone becomes very reluctant to another fighter they were dying to fight a couple of years ago - in a fight that would now would be extremely interesting and exciting, and which BOTH these guys need right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Garcia's Dad
          When Arum is involved and leaking stuff against a fighter refusing to re-sign with him, it's hard to tell fiction from fact.

One thing that is fact (and it's a post I've made many times but worth repeating, I think) - when Mikey breaking through as a prospect, and Gamboa was a big name being pushed as a star for HBO, Mikey would regularly say Gamboa was the one fight he wanted badly - he would expose Gamboa's flaws. I remember watching Mikey saying this on video (and with a quiet conviction meaning you knew he was serious).

A few years later, when Mikey became the guy with the HBO push, and Gamboa was on the outside looking in, and with little leverage......Mikey suddenly started very reluctant to make the fight.

Now, this reversal might reveal more about how ALL hungry, young fighters become risk-averse once they hit the big time (and isn't just specific to Mikey) - but I can't help but feel very frustrated how someone becomes very reluctant to another fighter they were dying to fight a couple of years ago - in a fight that would now would be extremely interesting and exciting, and which BOTH these guys need right now.
          Garcia had a chance to fight Gamboa at 126 and they turned it down too. So I suggest you stop repeating your post.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

My opinion hasn't changed of Garcia, One of the best young champs in the game . Don't think he ducked Gamboa I think his contract has a lot to do with the fight not being made and not wanting to sign an extension. There has to be reason most notable Top Rank fighters aren't willing ir wanting to sign extensions.

People on this site are crazy everyone's a duck and should fight for pride and nickels.

And as far as the Salido fight he didn't quit he pistol whipped Salido for what 9 10 rds knocked him down like 5 times and Salido got cheap and out of desperation headbutted him and broke his nose. He could have fought on but Robert knew they where so far up just end it and take the belt. Nothing wrong with that.

Comment

Originally posted by PACnPBFsuck View Post
              "Garcia-Gamboa is not going to happen because, frankly, who the **** is Gamboa? Why should he be getting as much money as Garcia? He hasn't fought on HBO. He ****ed me in the Rios fight. What kind of **** is this? What, 50 Cent singing songs? It's not going to happen."

You're right, those are the kindest words I've ever heard in my life.

I have no idea where you got that version of the quote from i read different, but its of no consequence as i have said Bob is two faced. Bob never mentions money in the quote i read, but if you took a second before replying and read me you would know I have said before I believe Bob did implode the fight on purpose in my opinion because Gamboa told everyone he was willing not only to take less, but as less as Mikey wanted it to make the fight like a day later this exact quote was on sweet science.

"It's not gonna happen," he said. "Who the eff is Gamboa? He effed me in the Rios fight," Arum said, referencing a late-inning pullout by the Cuban a few years ago
              Here's the source for the exact quote i read:

http://www.thesweetscience.com/news/...llowerdibella-

I never heard that version you quoted, but it is a known fact now that Mikey was being misled, because everyone was saying different that what he was saying, and the only two real possibilities now that the truth is known and out there for sure is that what happened was either a duck, or he was being taken advantage of then realized it. Kind of ironic and funny considering is the same guy screwing him over as Gamboa when he turned away from the fight with Rios, but just like then although i'm irked the fight didn't happen knowing how shady Bob is I am one of the few giving Mikey the benefit of the doubt . Nobody likes being misled and getting taken advantage of.

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
              Isn't it ironic? The Crawford fight, while excellent, concerns us more than a Garcia fight. It just kills me that, after all that garbage, sweating to make the Mikey fight a reality, the Crawford fight was signed, sealed and delivered in record time. WTF? Did things really have to be so damn complicated with Mikey? Doesn't look that way from where I'm standing...which brings us back to the TS's original question....
              Indeed depending of whether Gamboa wins or looses he came out winning out of that mess. Still i cant get over how much of a midget he looks next to Crawford im much more worried about this fight (no offense to mikey fans) here's to Mini Tyson Gamboa showing up

Comment

Originally posted by DannYankee09 View Post
                I have no idea where you got that version of the quote from i read different, but its of no consequence as i have said Bob is two faced. Bob never mentions money in the quote i read, but if you took a second before replying and read me you would know I have said before I believe Bob did implode the fight on purpose in my opinion because Gamboa told everyone he was willing not only to take less, but as less as Mikey wanted it to make the fight like a day later this exact quote was on sweet science.

Here's the source for the exact quote i read:

http://www.thesweetscience.com/news/...llowerdibella-

I never heard that version you quoted, but it is a known fact now that Mikey was being misled, because everyone was saying different that what he was saying, and the only two real possibilities now that the truth is known and out there for sure is that what happened was either a duck, or he was being taken advantage of then realized it. Kind of ironic and funny considering is the same guy screwing him over as Gamboa when he turned away from the fight with Rios, but just like then although i'm irked the fight didn't happen knowing how shady Bob is I am one of the few giving Mikey the benefit of the doubt . Nobody likes being misled and getting taken advantage of.
                http://www.boxingscene.com/arum-no-g...-gamboa--75559

Comment

It really hurts mikey...

The gamboa fight was his launching pad to bigger fights vs manny, jmm, etc...

But mikey ducked the fight and Crawford came right in and will get huge props and make himself a big name with a victory over gamboa...

Comment

Like i said he imploded hes not even saying Gamboa would get more money just even money so even his bull**** talk was not right, he was just imploding the fight because his spot was blown,just look how easy and quick Crawford vs Gamboa was made the trouble was not Gamboa in there the dude was basically begging for it and we both know it, look how happy this bastard looks behind the guy he made it sound he had a grudge against.

Your boy got lied to and was being manipulated, and Gamboa never got offered 2 million dollars he was on twitter talking about ill fight you for whatever and 450k and basically begging for it. If you think that 2million **** is true you are smoking some bad weed my friend . **** think about it does that even make sense?? Just use common sense dude what's more likely Gamboa got offered 2 million dollars and Mikey (the bigger draw ) 750k or Bob was getting smoke blown up Mikey's ass

Comment

All it says is that Crawford didn't have a choice. He has to get less than Gamboa as he is stll relatively unproven.

Comment

Working...
                      X