Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which one of the fabulous 4 would give Ray Robinson the most trouble?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Doctor_Tenma View Post
    All of them would, I'm not even sure he gets past Hearns. As for the most trouble I'd say Hagler.
    i think he does to hearns, what srl did to hearns...

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor_Tenma View Post
      All of them would, I'm not even sure he gets past Hearns. As for the most trouble I'd say Hagler.
      He'd handle Duran the easiest I feel.

Comment

Originally posted by Holywarrior View Post
        Hagler and it's not even close.
        Crazy statement here, it all depends on what weight. At 147 Robinson goes to hell and back to try and beat SRL, it'd be a close fight, they could probably split a trilogy somehow.

At MW, SRL would have a bit of a chance, Haerns gets some points for his power but yeah, at 160, Marvelous would really be the biggest threat. His mix of power, aggression, terrific chin and skill level would hurt Robinson. I think, in the end, Robinson pulls out a win but not without some hard pain.

Duran on the other hand would get battered into submission at 147, dropped a few times and eventually stopped, maybe the 11th or 12th rounds.

Hearns at 147 has the power to trouble SRR but I can't see his own chin taking what Robinson can dish out, people tend to forget Robinson had immaculate timing and super power to go with it, especially at welter. Hearns gets stopped.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Child View Post
          The question was who would pose the biggest problems for SRR. Hearns might present some issues but SRR was 5'-11" so the height advantage wouldn't be all that big.
          i'd say srl @ 147 and hagler @ 160...both those guys could box and brawl and win...plus both had excellent chins and great stamina...

hearns would have height and reach, but was only a threat when guys couldn't take the vaunted right hand, and robinson by all accounts had a granite chin...plus he could snatch a body, and that was always a hearns weakness...

interesting tidbit manny steward always felt hagler could beat robinson @ 160

Comment

Originally posted by djtmal View Post

interesting tidbit manny steward always felt hagler could beat robinson @ 160
            I didn't know that^^^^

Comment

Originally posted by Ephesians View Post
              I didn't know that^^^^
              well, i know he says it on an hbo telecast...i would have to dig up the tape to call exactly which one, but i know he has online interview where he rates marv, here's a clip i just found:

STEWARD: I believe that “Marvelous” Marvin Hagler is the best middleweight ever. I know we all look at Ray Robinson. I think Ray Robinson was pound-for-pound the greatest fighter period when covering all divisions, but when you just focus entirely on the middleweight division I would have to say that “Marvelous” Marvin Hagler was the best. I thought that Ray Robinson’s greatest days, which we didn’t have film for, was when he was welterweight. We saw him fight for the middleweight title for the first time when I think he was about 30 or 31 years old then when he fought LaMotta. Even though he had some great wins and was winning fights and losing fights and regaining titles, I think that Marvin Hagler’s consistency as a middleweight champion and as a middleweight coming up where he was fighting all of those tough fights in Philadelphia, and on the road, and Ray Seales and all of those type of Olympic fighters, and winning, winning, winning, winning without any fanfare. Then as a professional champion I thought he was a consistent performer in every way.

The loss to Ray Leonard, which was still controversial, was the only loss during his reign that he experienced. He was just consistent. A lot of times we talk about Carlos Monzon. I think that Marvin’s great chin, his work ethic, and consistent style of fighting would have been a problem for Monzon because I don’t think Monzon fought that many great fighters that were in their prime. I mean I was very impressed with the Nino Benvenuti fight and maybe one or two others, but Hagler fought so many good fighters, young fighters, old fighters. In Philadelphia I saw him put on one of the best boxing clinics ever when I saw him beat Bennie Briscoe. I went over there just personally to see that. It was phenomenal and even though Bennie had slipped a little bit it was still a great display of boxing skills.

I watched Marvin since 1973. That was the first time I saw him in the National Golden Gloves. He lost in the tournament and he came back a few months later in the National AAU and he fought at 165 even though he was really nothing more than a 156 pounder, and he was a small one at that. He won the National AAU Championship and that was the same year that Ray Leonard was in the tournament and Aaron Pryor and all of those fighters. I saw him turn professional without any great fanfare and I followed him very closely and he just amazed me how he was continually winning fights, and especially fighting some of the guys in their home towns. I just think his consistency in his performances in the middleweight division was the same as Ray Robinson was in the welterweight division. That makes Hagler, in my mind. the greatest middleweight champion.

Comment

Hearns Height, reach, speed, and power would have spelled fits for SRR at 147.

Comment

Originally posted by richardt View Post
                  Hearns Height, reach, speed, and power would have spelled fits for SRR at 147.
                  again, i think hearns shaky chin, and stamina would fail him against robinson...nobody even knew hearns could box, until srl creamed him in the early rounds of their first fight...lol

Comment

Between Hagler and Leonard. Leonard in his prime could match Robinsons Speed and a prime Hagler could match in power. Either would have been great fights

Comment

Gots to be Hagler.

Comment

Working...
                      X