Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much credit do you give Rocky Marciano for beating Joe Louis?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyways.....Louis was pretty much a shell of himself, but he was still a highly rated heavyweight at the time. I say like 6-7.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
      Get outta here......Mosley was one of the biggest and most anticipated fights at that time and EVERYONE......EVERYONE said Floyd would duck him. His last time out, he TKO'd Margarito and was THE REAL #1 Welterweight.

Talk about re-writing history.

Mosley was rated for what he did 16 months earlier to a brickless Margarito that had just been caught cheating. Just to remind you that the fight happened in January 2009. A few months earlier, that same Mosley struggled against Mayorga and pulled it out late in the fight.

Fast forward to May 2010.
      Mosley hadn't fought for 16 months, was soon approaching 39 and was way past his prime. Mosley didn't do much of anything after January 2009. Mosley was no longer the same fighter. He gave it his all in the 2nd round and was completely gassed out after that. I never saw Mosley like that ..... he was a shell of himself.

Floyd said "My game plan will take into consideration that Mosley is now OLD" ..... now you know why Floyd no longer ducked Mosley!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ADP02 View Post
        Mosley was rated for what he did 16 months earlier to a brickless Margarito that had just been caught cheating. Just to remind you that the fight happened in January 2009. A few months earlier, that same Mosley struggled against Mayorga and pulled it out late in the fight.

Fast forward to May 2010.
        Mosley hadn't fought for 16 months, was soon approaching 39 and was way past his prime. Mosley didn't do much of anything after January 2009. Mosley was no longer the same fighter. He gave it his all in the 2nd round and was completely gassed out after that. I never saw Mosley like that ..... he was a shell of himself.

Floyd said "My game plan will take into consideration that Mosley is now OLD" ..... now you know why Floyd no longer ducked Mosley!!!
        Floyd never ducked Mosley to being with......Floyd was begging to fight him in 2005-2006. This either shows your lack of knowledge on the subject, your bias......or most likely both.

Guys like you aren't even fans of the sport....you spend your entire time here bashing one guy. Have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
          Floyd never ducked Mosley to being with......Floyd was begging to fight him in 2005-2006. This either shows your lack of knowledge on the subject, your bias......or most likely both.

Guys like you aren't even fans of the sport....you spend your entire time here bashing one guy. Have fun.
          My lack of knowledge? OK, so which division was Floyd in 2005 and which division was Mosley? Thanks for the laugh .... all smoke and mirrors by Floyd.

In 2006, Shane had fought in July AT 154 and wanted to do it a few months later than when Floyd wanted the fight. Who was a bigger name, Shane or Baldomir? So why couldn't Floyd wait a month or two to get the fight on IF YOU SAY THAT HE REALLY WANTED SHANE? Thanks for the laugh .... all smoke and mirrors by Floyd.

Floyd said he wanted to retire. Who was a bigger name to retire with, Shane or Baldomir? So why couldn't Floyd wait a month or two to get the fight on IF YOU SAY THAT HE REALLY WANTED SHANE? Thanks for the laugh .... all smoke and mirrors by Floyd.

From late 2006 to 2010, Shane called out Floyd but Floyd instead fought 2 guys that were at 130 and 140 instead. Why Marquez and not Shane? lol... Thanks for the laugh .... all smoke and mirrors by Floyd.

From late 2006 to 2010, there are plenty of videos stating that Floyd was NOT interested in Shane once Shane wanted Floyd. Thanks for the laugh .... all smoke and mirrors by Floyd.

Floyd fought Mosley only when Floyd admitted that
          "Shane is now old and we will take that into consideration for our game plan"

Last edited by ADP02; 04-26-2014, 02:12 AM.

Comment

Come on man, are you seriously going to turn this into another thread about Floyd Mayweather?

****ing Pac tards.

Comment

Originally posted by Fantastic One View Post
              I'm curious, which one should get more credit.....Rocky over Louis or Floyd over Gatti?
              Not a good comparison. First and foremost Gatti was never an ATG. He was a good boxer (a contender) with a decent punch who had an ATG chin and determination.

That determination got him a belt but he lost to Angel Manfreddy and Ivan Robinson. Neither Manfreddy nor Robinson are anywhere close to HOF material let alone ATG status. The best fighters Gatti beat after that was Gamache (and that was a joke because Gatti out weighed him by something like 20 pounds) and Mickey Ward who was a top 10 contender.

Gatti was way past any prime he ever had when he faced Mayweather.

Louis on the other hand was an ATG, arguably the best heavyweight ever (definitely TOP 3). He was past prime, that's true. But he was still fighting and beating top contenders.

Was Louis prime? No. But I think he would still be able to take any heavyweight out there today not name Klitschko. He would have embarrassed Arreolla, Stiverne, Solis, Chisora. David Haye's speed might have made it close, and might have outpointed Louis.

Does beating Louis make Marciano an ATG? Hell no. Does his win over Louis equal Schmelling I or Frazier's win over Ali? Hell no. But it means something.
              Last edited by bklynboy; 04-26-2014, 08:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fantastic One View Post
                I'm curious, which one should get more credit.....Rocky over Louis or Floyd over Gatti?
                Which one do you think?

Obviously Marciano.

Still, same thing I said with Lewis and Tyson, none deserve too much credit.

What's funny is all 3, Gatti, Louis and Tyson were ranked #1 in their respective divisions at the time but all were shells of themselves.

Comment

He deserves credit for the way he went about it but certainly not as much as he would have if Louis was a younger champion, obviously.

Great topic btw. Good job TS.

Comment

Originally posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
                    0.....For the same reasons I don't give Holmes credit for beating Ali. There's certainly some things Marciano is deserving of credit for but beating the washed-up shell of Louis isn't one of them.
                    Uhhmmm, Louis was younger and had a lot more left in the tank than Ali did.

The two wins are not camparable.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
                      That should be to Marciano's detriment, he was at time getting outlanded and out boxed by an aged fighter on the verge of being shot. This fight shows us just how Marciano built his time at the time, by fighting aged fighters and getting outboxed but having enough heart, grit and power to win. That is in no ways an insult, it's incredible how Marciano was probably the most limited heavyweight pre-1980s yet managed to become one of the greats.

No, Tyson gets 000000000000000000 credit, Holmes was so fat and old in that fight it's laughable.
                      Marciano always got the job done with heart, determination and punching power. There's definitely something to be said for that.

Comment

Working...
                      X