Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much credit do you give Rocky Marciano for beating Joe Louis?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Juof View Post
    Joe louis was 75 years old when they fought!
    I don't know how old he was, but he got his ass whooped.

Comment

Originally posted by DreamMerchant12 View Post
      I don't know how old he was, but he got his ass whooped.
      He was 37 or so. The same age as Ali fought Holmes and when Holmes fought Tyson.

Actually I think Ali was 39.

Comment

Originally posted by LarryXXX View Post
        Hell no, no credit
        OK. Fair enough. I give some credit to both. Neither were ATGs but they were still good. For example if Martinez beats Cotto and then GGG beats Martinez I would give GGG credit for the victory. It wouldn't be the same as fighting him 3 years ago - but still a credible win.

However I don't give Calzaghe credit for beating Roy Jones.

Comment

the funny thing is a win over past prime louis is probably better than anything on the current heavyweight champs record

Comment

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
            Anybody saying he deserves 0 credit has no clue what they're talking about and their only information regarding the fight came from watching Coming to America.
            why does he deserve credit for the win?

Comment

Funny how everyone saying they give Marciano no credit have nothing else to offer other than "Louis was 137 years old." (He was exactly one century younger than that, by the way.) On the other hand, the guys giving Rocky credit intelligently spell out why he deserves some props. We all agree the Louis Marciano fought was well past prime, but it was still a solid victory over an an iconic ATG. I say the victory deserves a five, maybe even a six. Joe lost three fights in his career, and was only stopped twice.

Comment

Originally posted by Jakutindi Wauya View Post
                0 credit.
                The guy was way past it then. I give Schemeling the credit for their first fight but not this Marciano guy.
                Oh, really? You give Schmeling credit for KOing a prime Joe Louis, a boxing and sports legend, credit? How gracious of you.

Comment

Originally posted by bklynboy View Post
                  OK. Fair enough. I give some credit to both. Neither were ATGs but they were still good. For example if Martinez beats Cotto and then GGG beats Martinez I would give GGG credit for the victory. It wouldn't be the same as fighting him 3 years ago - but still a credible win.

However I don't give Calzaghe credit for beating Roy Jones.
                  You're right, Calzaghe doesn't get any credit for beating a completely washed up RJJ.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
                    Funny how everyone saying they give Marciano no credit have nothing else to offer other than "Louis was 137 years old." (He was exactly one century younger than that, by the way.) On the other hand, the guys giving Rocky credit intelligently spell out why he deserves some props. We all agree the Louis Marciano fought was well past prime, but it was still a solid victory over an an iconic ATG. I say the victory deserves a five, maybe even a six. Joe lost three fights in his career, and was only stopped twice.
                    You must not have seen Coming to America.

Comment

okay i give him 3/10

Comment

Working...
                      X