Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you remember when you first heard about Mayweather and Pacquiao?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know I was late, but I first heard about Mayweather in 2007/2008 after the Hatton fight. I then went on youtube and was able to watch most of his fights. I first heard about Pacquiao around the same time.

Comment

I heard about Mayweather in 2007 through the 24/7 De La Hoya-Mayweather show.

I vaguely knew who Manny Pacquiao was. But I distinctly remember Pacquiao stopping De La Hoya in 2008.

I saw Mayweather-Hatton at a friend's house. Then I saw Pacquiao-Hatton on the internet. At that moment I wanted to see Pacquiao-Mayweather.

The fight didn't happen, so I stopped following until 2011-2012.
      Last edited by punchr; 04-10-2014, 09:50 PM.

Comment

I learned who Floyd was playing Knockout Kings 2000 on my N64. Didn't really know him as a fighter, but his record in the game was an unbeaten 18-20 some odd fights so I figured he must be kind of a big deal.
        I'd heard about Manny around the time of the Barrera/Marquez 1 fights where my father had asked me if I knew about this speedy little Filipino just kind of in passing mention. Been following him since then.

Comment

Mayweather 1986, Pacquiao a long time after that............ Rockin'

Comment

da fuq....there are some people under 20 years old here

Comment

i first heard of Floyd in the Olympics..i used to really care about Olympic boxing in the 90s...i thought he would be a good pro but i never thought he would blow up the way he has..i remember watching those games with my my boxing bud and telling him 'hey check it out, there's another Mayweather coming up'

we both didn't think he would be as successful as Roger

the first time i heard of Manny was when i took a trip home in the 90s...my cousins have always been HUGE boxing fans and they knew i was as well...this was at the pinnacle of my Roy and Pernell nuthugging days...they showed me the Sasakul fight and my first thought 'this wreckless dude got lucky' didn't think much of him until he showed up for the Ledwaba fight...i was like 'goddamn this mother****er actually got out of Philippines and got a major fight in the US...i hope he doesn't get his ass kicked too bad'

i was on the bandwagon ever since after the 1st round...we've had some good fighters before...guys like Salud and Espinoza but this guy was different...then everything really blew up after the Barrera fight...that was the first fight ever where i put money on such a big underdog

from the first moments i saw those two, i NEVER EVER in my life thought that they would hold boxing hostage the way they do now

Comment

I remember Floyd from before the Olympics, I remember there being a story on the local news about him just before the trials then followed him all the way through today.

Manny I remember from the Lewis-Tyson under card, wrecking that dude. I didn't really follow him though but I recognized him going into the Barrera fight and was excited to see that fight then followed him after that and went back to see what he did beforehand.

Comment

I knew who Pacquiao was before I could read. When I was a kid growing up he was already famous in Philippines.

I knew Floyd when I was a teen and I heard my uncles talk about him, the guy that nobody could hit and could see every punch.
                  Last edited by DARKSEID; 04-10-2014, 11:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by IST-ra-GLEr2 View Post
                    I knew Floyd when he fought in the Atlanta games when he won the bronze. Pacquiao when he destroyed ledwaba in an Oscar de la Hoya undercard. It was against castillejo if I'm not mistaken.

Comment

I agree with others here about Olympic boxing. Back int he 90s when I was young I used to know the entire Olympic boxing team, I still remember Floyd and Vargas, they were highly touted. i think it was because NBC or ABC still covered the amateur finals on TV to make the Olympic team.

Funny thing about that 96 team was when Vargas said he idolized De La Hoya, man he went from looking up to Oscar to hating him.

Also last class I really cared about was the one with Brian Viloria I think it was the 2000 games, he was called the Hawaiian punch and had a baby peach fuzz mustache on and he denied being Filipino which was funny because when pacman became popular in 2004 he started claiming to be Filipino before he referred to himself as Hawaiian American lol. And Jermain Taylor was on the team too.
                      Last edited by hectari; 04-10-2014, 11:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X