No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Leo Santa Cruz and the Sub-Rigo Youth Movement at 122

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Leo Santa Cruz and the Sub-Rigo Youth Movement at 122

The question of the best Jr. Featherweight in the world isn’t a question at all. Measure it by lineage, his WBA “Super” and WBO belts, or just the simplest of eye tests. 122 lbs. is World Champion Guillermo Rigondeaux (13-0, 8 KO) and everyone else, at least in the ring.

Everyone else will have their chances to close the gap.

Below Rigondeaux are four fighters in particular just beginning to sniff their primes. In them, boxing has a fascinating assortment of more crowd-pleasing fighters with box office upside Rigondeaux may never have. They make up a youth movement in the class. Rigondeaux, at 33, may have relatively few fights as a professional but he counts already as elder statesman.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Rigo is the king. I'm glad everybody is aware of it. He said to El Nuevo Herald he is considering moving up to 126. He is small for this weight but is his best move.

Comment

Originally posted by racostaa View Post
      Rigo is the king. I'm glad everybody is aware of it. He said to El Nuevo Herald he is considering moving up to 126. He is small for this weight but is his best move.
      I hate that Rigo's gotta do that. He's a tiny guy. But, a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do....

Comment

When I read the article title I already knew who it was written by. Can't wait to read it.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Surprised there isn't about 15 pages already talking about how boring Rigo is and how they hope all these guys fight each other, and say "piss on" aka DUCK Rigo. This is boxingscene. Where ducking is applauded to keep frauds relevant.

Comment

Originally posted by hitking View Post
            Surprised there isn't about 15 pages already talking about how boring Rigo is and how they hope all these guys fight each other, and say "piss on" aka DUCK Rigo. This is boxingscene. Where ducking is applauded to keep frauds relevant.
            Rigo's something of a rarity around here. Even the haters respect his skills.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
              Rigo's something of a rarity around here. Even the haters respect his skills.
              That's true for the most part. I respect his boxing ability and skill always said I have. He's the top guy at 122, but I dislike his lack of wanting to take more chances against clearly inferior opponents, is what makes him "boring" to me. Some of my favorite fighters are "slick" but what Rigo lacks to me and probably a lot of others is effort to do anything but play a super safe route, even when the opponent is far far far beneath him.

Comment

To be honest I don't think any of these fighters are in the same stratosphere as Rigo. He unified the division, won the lineal title and beat who many thought was a top 5 pound for pound fighter with ease. He's accomplished everything he possibly can at 122. Its time to win that second division title.

Comment

Originally posted by Grimgash View Post
                  That's true for the most part. I respect his boxing ability and skill always said I have. He's the top guy at 122, but I dislike his lack of wanting to take more chances against clearly inferior opponents, is what makes him "boring" to me. Some of my favorite fighters are "slick" but what Rigo lacks to me and probably a lot of others is effort to do anything but play a super safe route, even when the opponent is far far far beneath him.
                  That tendency is far more frustrating to me, I assure you. I was yelling at the TV when Rigo wouldn't move in early to dispatch a clearly frightened Rico Ramos. It was an opportunity to look good. It's not too often a "champion" will lay down like that. Agbeko was out of it, too. It's interesting how professional fighters are so intimidated by "El Chacal." I mean, he's awesome, but he's not Mike Tyson. Fighting Rigondeaux must make these guys feel like they're fighting the invisible man.

Comment

I wonder if there's any chance whatsoever that any of these fighters end up fighting Rigondeaux. I'm sure they're willing, but I don't know the promotional situations.

Comment

Working...
                    X