Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did we miss out on the best of Manny at 140 and 135lbs?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did we miss out on the best of Manny at 140 and 135lbs?

He only went out once each at these weights and completely destroyed his (admittedly tailor made) opponents.

I think these would have been his best weights had he hung around there for a while. He was high enough up the weight scale that he wasnt cutting much weight and his speed was much better than his opponents, but low enough that his power was still very good and he didnt have to compete with crazy height and reach disadvantages.

Obviously i understand why he had to go to 147 (and i respect the decision to test himself up there) but anyone else a little curious as to how he would have looked on a proper run at these weights?

(couldnt find full Hatton fight)

Judging by how well he did at the babby weights as well as at 147, I bet he would have been an absolute demon at 135 or 140.

Comment

No. I think at that point in his career it wouldn't have been in his best long term interest to fight guys like Zahir Raheem or Joan Guzman at LW, for example or to fight a Corley at JWW.

Many of these fights would have been ugly affairs where manny likely wouldn't get a KO, which IMO would've hur his "brand" and derailed the push HBO was giving him to be theheir apparent to floyd.

Comment

No one would've ****ed with PAC at those weights.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
          No. I think at that point in his career it wouldn't have been in his best long term interest to fight guys like Zahir Raheem or Joan Guzman at LW, for example or to fight a Corley at JWW.

Many of these fights would have been ugly affairs where manny likely wouldn't get a KO, which IMO would've hur his "brand" and derailed the push HBO was giving him to be theheir apparent to floyd.
          Putting aside long terms interests, promotional branding and such... do you think Pacquaio was a better fighter at 147lbs than he would have been at 135/140?

Comment

Originally posted by Kingjames6 View Post
            No one would've ****ed with PAC at those weights.
            LOL

JMM>>>

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
              Putting aside long terms interests, promotional branding and such... do you think Pacquaio was a better fighter at 147lbs than he would have been at 135/140?
              No. Manny as a fighter is a fighter. Had he fought the guys I mentioned I think he would've won (maybe not raheem given his skill set), just not in the fashion he did.

Since I don't rate a fighter based on KO v UD but on winning and losing, Assuming he won, I'd say he was just as good as he was at 147.

Comment

if Manny Pacquiao would've hung around those weights a bit longer, We'd prolly be getting ready for Pacquiao-Marquez VII at 147.

Comment

I have to beg to disagree with you bro, PAC has fought his way to P4P recognition and imho he was no heir to anyone even to floyd, it was Oscar's miscalculation the pushed PAC to stratospheric stardom, the golden boy effect, which floyd was also a benificiary...

would anyone here choose to watch pac vs zahir, guzman, corley or the one he actually fought after oscar, hatton, cotto, marquez etc....

Comment

No. Manny as a fighter is a fighter. Had he fought the guys I mentioned I think he would've won (maybe not raheem given his skill set), just not in the fashion he did.

Since I don't rate a fighter based on KO v UD but on winning and losing, Assuming he won, I'd say he was just as good as he was at 147.
                    I dunno i think MP has a better chance against Joan Guzman and Zahir Raheem ay the smaller weights than he does against 147lb version of those fighters. Which is why i think he was better relatively at 135/140 than he ended up being at welterweight (though he was still very good at 147).

Comment

Working...
                    X