No announcement yet.

Martinez: "I can concentrate on Golovkin after I knock out Cotto"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BigZigga View Post
    BS is full of BSers....people who love to write off fighters after a few losses. He's not shot. Not prime, but neither is Maravilla. This is an exciting fight and I don't see it as being a terrible title fight or anything like that. It's a bit of a soft touch but is a competitive fight now imo
    Entertainment-wise I think it'll be a good scrap aswell. As for as lineal title fights go, it's rubbish.

Comment

why is this fight happening? cotto is zab judah.

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
        why is this fight happening? cotto is zab judah.
        And Martinez is an injured 39 years old natural jr. middleweight, right?...

Comment

Originally posted by MDPopescu View Post
          And Martinez is an injured 39 years old natural jr. middleweight, right?...
          so its happening because both guys suck? good reason

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
            so its happening because both guys suck? good reason
            I don't really understand what's your point, but I really like Martinez because of his style and because what he had accomplished in the sport -- rather than because of what he really is to date...

Comment

Those are wise comments from Sergio, who to me is one of the class acts of boxing. After the Cotto fight I would definitely advise him to face Golovkin because he would never have a better shot to beat him. The Cotto fight will require what is left of Martinez, if he's able to win at all. Personally, I think it's a pick em fight.
              Last edited by Boxing Goat; 02-11-2014, 08:56 AM.

Comment

I like Martinez as most of us do...
                ... But I'm afraid that he didn't recover yet... He was so poorly assisted by "his doctors" after the Chavez fight...
                I seem to remember a statement from a month or so back that Maravilla was gonna be back in the Gym 'in a few weeks' or so - but nothing firmer than that.

I'm not sure, but I seem to recall Sergio ain't a really big guy for sparring, perferring to concentrate on conditioning, endurance and speed work. I would imagine there's some room for this to overlap with the physiotherapy required for his injuries anyway. Depending on the type of injury, non load bearing exercises (such as swimming or cycling) could serve both purposes.

I would really hope he is properly recovered (9 months is enough for all but the most severe injuries) and has planned his return date to make sure he also has time for a full camp after complete recovery. After all, exacerbating an incompletely healed injury either in training or in the Cotto fight would presumably end his career.

Comment

Originally posted by Luiz View Post
                  Sergio Vs GGG?
                  ^^^^ This.

Finally a big name willing to step up to GGG.

Comment

Originally posted by Koba-Grozny View Post
                    I seem to remember a statement from a month or so back that Maravilla was gonna be back in the Gym 'in a few weeks' or so - but nothing firmer than that.

I'm not sure, but I seem to recall Sergio ain't a really big guy for sparring, perferring to concentrate on conditioning, endurance and speed work. I would imagine there's some room for this to overlap with the physiotherapy required for his injuries anyway. Depending on the type of injury, non load bearing exercises (such as swimming or cycling) could serve both purposes.

I would really hope he is properly recovered (9 months is enough for all but the most severe injuries) and has planned his return date to make sure he also has time for a full camp after complete recovery. After all, exacerbating an incompletely healed injury either in training or in the Cotto fight would presumably end his career.
                    If he breaks his hand and knee again beating down Cotto I wouldn't blame him for retiring.

Comment

Did anybody see Martinez in a boxing gym lately?

(I just keep on asking this.)
                      He said he's only been training for a few days because he's knee isn't completely healed in the article.

But he's been in the gym.

Comment

Working...
                      X