No announcement yet.

The Official Miguel Cotto-Sergio Martinez Master Thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by VintageProblem View Post
    I'm not sure if it's still around but I remember watching a video of the Cotto/Margarito 2 Los Angles press conference where Ellie Secbach asked Cotto if he'd consider fighting Martinez.

Cotto: "you think Sergio Martinez is going to help make me money?"

He then proceeded to laugh and then everyone else started laughing and he pretty much made Secbach look like an idiot
    1:50

Comment

• Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
      Maybe. Will it be enough? Martinez looks considerably bigger. That's quality weight, too.
      He looks taller but at the moment he was only 3 pounds bigger which isn't much. Also as I stated before Martinez fights in a bad posture/slouching position, the height isn't even an issue. The weight behind the punches might be, but I think Cotto comes in at 160 tomorrow and Martinez at 170. Which would be the biggest he ever weighed into a MW fight he's always 167 or 168.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beater_of_ass View Post
        He looks taller but at the moment he was only 3 pounds bigger which isn't much. Also as I stated before Martinez fights in a bad posture/slouching position, the height isn't even an issue. The weight behind the punches might be, but I think Cotto comes in at 160 tomorrow and Martinez at 170. Which would be the biggest he ever weighed into a MW fight he's always 167 or 168.
        I agree, the height probably won't be an issue. (Although reach very well might be.) I'm talking about weight. Cotto weighed in at 155 and Martinez at 158.8. I don't know if Miguel is coming in at 160, otherwise he would've weighed more at the weigh-in. There was no need to cut down to 155, since the catch-weight is 159. Sergio, as we both know, had to cut. There could be a weight disparity of as much as fifteen pounds. That's a big difference in solid weight.

Comment

• A Martinez KO is +280 on Bovada.com
          A Cotto KO is +250 on Bovada.com

These odds are really weird coming from Vegas. It's like they know Martinez's knee is ****ed up to the point he won't be able to move around. Also has Martinez even sparred for this fight?

Comment

• I'm not sure of Sergio can pivot like he wants to with that knee.

I'm starting to think cotto by decision or Martinez ko

Comment

• Beautiful night tomorrow night for Cotto fans!! It will be a very enjoyable experience watching Martinez get beat up senseless hopping around on one leg lmao. **** that guy.

WAR COTTOOOO!!!!!!

Comment

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...onxbFqg#t=2833

Comment

lol I don't get what you guys read into this stuff. I guess everybody sees what they want to see in those stare-downs/weigh-ins.

For what it's worth, here's my take: The stare-down means nothing at all to me. Miguel stared and Sergio tilted his head a couple of times. Is that supposed to mean someone is scared or confident? I guess it does to some dudes....

What matters is the weight and conditioning. Cotto looked solid as a rock, but so did Martinez. During the promos, with street clothes on, they appeared closer in size. At the weigh-in, shirtless and barefoot, the size difference was quite clear. These men are almost five pounds of solid muscle apart, and the difference is likely to be more come tomorrow night. That means something.

On a side note, I was getting a laugh out of Sergio. He was clearly enjoying himself. Martinez was definitely invoking the "Maravilla" rock star persona. Miguel was all business. But again, it means nothing. The fans read what they want into it.
                  staredown and weighins matter a lot, i have made bets based on them and never lost

Comment

• Is that the lightest Sergio's ever weighed in at middleweight? I was expecting him to tip the scales at exactly 160lb, why would he go through the strenuous task of cutting an extra 2lbs?

Comment

I've said all I really have to say, bro. The good big man is gonna beat the good little man. That's the long and short of it.
                      there's been many exceptions to a good big man beating a good little man

Greb Fulton
                      Greb Brennan
                      Greb Miske
                      Dempsey Willard
                      Walker Uzcudun
                      Louis Baer
                      Fitzsimmons Corbett
                      Armstrong Garcia
                      Duran Barkley
                      Chavez Sr Taylor
                      Sam Langford Harry Wills
                      Sam Langford Sam McVea