The Official Miguel Cotto-Sergio Martinez Master Thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jas View Post
    How much was margarito vs cotto?
    Don't know what their fight night weights were, but here are some excerpts from a Dan Rafael article leading up to the fight:

Although the division limit is 154 pounds, Cotto, who will be making his second title defense, insisted on a catchweight. He was obviously hoping to force the bigger Margarito to shed as much weight as possible before they meet Dec. 3...

According to Sergio Diaz, Margarito's co-manager, the camps had agreed to fight when Cotto insisted on making the bout at 150 pounds with the stipulation of a weight check on the day of the fight, for which the fighters could not exceed 160 pounds.

"When we met with [Top Rank's] Bob Arum to negotiate the fight, no catchweight was spoken about," Diaz told ESPN.com. "So Bob was as surprised as we were that Cotto was asking for 150 pounds. Then Bob spoke with Cotto and got him to 152. Then it was presented to us and we went back and forth and we finally settled at 153. They were also asking for a next-day weigh-in where Antonio couldn't weigh more than 160. That was another issue we were going back and forth about. So we threw out 153 pounds with no second weigh-in."

Diaz said the negotiations got to the point where there was serious concern that the fight wouldn't be finalized because of the differences over the weight.

"There was no reason for a catchweight," Diaz said. "This is a junior middleweight title fight, but that is what Cotto wanted and Bob was worried it wouldn't get done because of the issue. We weren't going to accept ultimatums, but we wanted the fight and said, 'Let's work on this.' We weren't going to do 150 or 152 or a next-day weigh-in. Enough with the demands. Bob finally came back at 153 and no next-day weigh-in. I spoke to Tony and he said, 'Let's do it.'

Given his past record, and the weight he carried today, I don't see Cotto weighing much more tomorrow than he did this afternoon. He really didn't drain, which is partly why he looked so good at the weigh-in. Sergio, on the other hand, had to drain. He'll re-hydrate and come in significantly heavier tomorrow night. Bad news for Miguel, if you ask me.

Comment

• Margarito or Martinez - who hits harder and who is naturally bigger guy?

Comment

• Originally posted by mathed View Post
        Cotto applies pressure early trying to land the left to the body with wicked intentions. Martinez gets trapped on the ropes in the first and people get all excited thinking Cotto is doing damage but Martinez counters with a jab as Cotto throws a left to the head and then spins off the ropes to safety...
        You missed your calling, Math.

The only critique I can offer is, the crowd never goes "silent for the most part." As Sergio claims, one Argentine makes as much noise as ten Puerto Ricans. lol

And did you really have to write in a line about Cotto taking a knee? lol

Comment

• Is there some sort of Cuban vs Puerto Rican rivalry ?

Comment

• that's the best I've ever seen cotto at a weigh in. I'm just hoping this thing is competitive.

Comment

Cotto applies pressure early trying to land the left to the body with wicked intentions. Martinez gets trapped on the ropes in the first and people get all excited thinking Cotto is doing damage but Martinez counters with a jab as Cotto throws a left to the head and then spins off the ropes to safety.

As the second commences, Martinez establishes distance and lands a few crisp jabs that are telling. Cotto cuts the distance again and goes to the body, landing a couple shots, again the crowd goes wild. Martinez re-establishes distance, pumps a few jabs and follows with the first flush left down the middle and it appears to stun Cotto. Immediately Cotto ceases forward movement and starts to retreat.....round ends.

Cotto is cautious in the beginning of the third and tries to impose his way with the jab. Martinez counters over the jab and Cotto tries to rush him into the ropes of the incredibly undersized ring that was built especially to fit Cotto's strengths. Again the crowd goes wild and the announces act like Cotto is dominating Martinez. Sergio again counters Cotto but with the left uppercut this time and he spins off the ropes.

In the corner between rounds, it is obvious that Cotto's confidence is waning and he appears to have swelling under his left eye from Martinez' counter jabs. The fourth begins and Cotto tries to jab his way in again but this time, Martinez leads with a straight left and tags Cotto flush and again, he appears to be hurt and begins to retreat. Sergio traps him this time and unleashes a 5 punch combination while Cotto is against the ropes and Cotto holds on as the round ends.

After the 4th, Cotto's right and left eyes are both showing substantial swelling and his nose appears to be bleeding as well. Roach is asking Cotto what happened to all the work they put in at the gym and Cotto responds, I'm good, he is tiring.

In the 5th, Cotto appears to be waiting for Martinez instead of being the aggressor. Sergio starts throwing the 1-2 in succession and tags Cotto several times as Cotto appears to go into retreat mode. The crowd is now noticeably silent for the most part. Cotto lands a solid left and the crowd goes crazy but Sergio ties up. Once broken up, Cotto attempts to crowd Sergio who sticks Cotto with a solid jab and Cotto's legs appear to give a little, he again goes into retreat mode.

After the 5th, Roach is pleading with Cotto to be more aggressive and to punish Martinez who he claims is finished. The commentator's have now jumped to Martinez' side claiming that Cotto appears to be breaking down.
              Sergio has a small mark on the right side under his eye but otherwise, he is untouched.

The 6th starts and Sergio comes right at Cotto and unleashes a 7 punch combination that has Cotto reeling against the ropes. He tries to tie up but Sergio drills him with a left uppercut and Cotto takes knee. He gets up on the count of 8 and attempts to attack. There is some back and forth action and Cotto tries to work in close quarters to the body but Sergio counters Cotto with a sharp right hook as Cotto swings wide for a power hook and Cotto stumbles backwards towards the ropes. Sergio traps him and unleashes another 5 punch combination that Cotto blocks the majority of and then the bell rings.

Roach tells Cotto he is going to throw in the towel if he doesn't show him something in the next round. The 7th round starts and Cotto tries to attack but gets up-ended by Sergio's jab on several occasions. Cotto tries to throw a haymaker mostly out of frustration and Sergio catches him exposed with a straight left that drops Cotto. He gets up on the count of 8 again and Sergio immediately closes the gap to pummel him with a 10 punch combination and Roach throws in the towel to save his man further punishment.

All hail to the REAL MW king and Cotto exits stage left with no post fight interview.
              Sounds realistic damn. I do not know Cotto looked slow and very bad against Trout. Martinez is the favourit.

Comment

• Originally posted by jas View Post
                Hey el angel, break it down! I would love to hear some analysis for real. Who you give edge to in these categories?

Power:
                Speed:
                Defense:
                Mental:
                Styles:
                Recent performances:
                Size:
                Footwork:
                Boxing skill:
                I'll give a full analysis tonight jas and full breakdown. Need my computer and not my phone lol.

But your categories, POWER, SPEED, SIZE, to Sergio.

MENTAL, DEFENSE, STYLES, RECENT PERFORMANCES, and BOXING SKILL to Cotto.

I see the FOOTWORK as even. Sergio moves a lot, but he is off-balance ALOT and is why he gets dropped by lesser fighters at times.

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
                I've said all I really have to say, bro. The good big man is gonna beat the good little man. That's the long and short of it.
                No worries CGNYC. I know you know your stuff. Best of luck to Lara against Canelo. I'm sure I'll get you to break that one down with me

Comment

• Originally posted by AntonTheMeh View Post
                  that's the best I've ever seen cotto at a weigh in. I'm just hoping this thing is competitive.
                  Can't you just nuthug him a little bit Anton? Damn

Comment

Cotto applies pressure early trying to land the left to the body with wicked intentions. Martinez gets trapped on the ropes in the first and people get all excited thinking Cotto is doing damage but Martinez counters with a jab as Cotto throws a left to the head and then spins off the ropes to safety.

As the second commences, Martinez establishes distance and lands a few crisp jabs that are telling. Cotto cuts the distance again and goes to the body, landing a couple shots, again the crowd goes wild. Martinez re-establishes distance, pumps a few jabs and follows with the first flush left down the middle and it appears to stun Cotto. Immediately Cotto ceases forward movement and starts to retreat.....round ends.

Cotto is cautious in the beginning of the third and tries to impose his way with the jab. Martinez counters over the jab and Cotto tries to rush him into the ropes of the incredibly undersized ring that was built especially to fit Cotto's strengths. Again the crowd goes wild and the announces act like Cotto is dominating Martinez. Sergio again counters Cotto but with the left uppercut this time and he spins off the ropes.

In the corner between rounds, it is obvious that Cotto's confidence is waning and he appears to have swelling under his left eye from Martinez' counter jabs. The fourth begins and Cotto tries to jab his way in again but this time, Martinez leads with a straight left and tags Cotto flush and again, he appears to be hurt and begins to retreat. Sergio traps him this time and unleashes a 5 punch combination while Cotto is against the ropes and Cotto holds on as the round ends.

After the 4th, Cotto's right and left eyes are both showing substantial swelling and his nose appears to be bleeding as well. Roach is asking Cotto what happened to all the work they put in at the gym and Cotto responds, I'm good, he is tiring.

In the 5th, Cotto appears to be waiting for Martinez instead of being the aggressor. Sergio starts throwing the 1-2 in succession and tags Cotto several times as Cotto appears to go into retreat mode. The crowd is now noticeably silent for the most part. Cotto lands a solid left and the crowd goes crazy but Sergio ties up. Once broken up, Cotto attempts to crowd Sergio who sticks Cotto with a solid jab and Cotto's legs appear to give a little, he again goes into retreat mode.

After the 5th, Roach is pleading with Cotto to be more aggressive and to punish Martinez who he claims is finished. The commentator's have now jumped to Martinez' side claiming that Cotto appears to be breaking down.
                    Sergio has a small mark on the right side under his eye but otherwise, he is untouched.

The 6th starts and Sergio comes right at Cotto and unleashes a 7 punch combination that has Cotto reeling against the ropes. He tries to tie up but Sergio drills him with a left uppercut and Cotto takes knee. He gets up on the count of 8 and attempts to attack. There is some back and forth action and Cotto tries to work in close quarters to the body but Sergio counters Cotto with a sharp right hook as Cotto swings wide for a power hook and Cotto stumbles backwards towards the ropes. Sergio traps him and unleashes another 5 punch combination that Cotto blocks the majority of and then the bell rings.

Roach tells Cotto he is going to throw in the towel if he doesn't show him something in the next round. The 7th round starts and Cotto tries to attack but gets up-ended by Sergio's jab on several occasions. Cotto tries to throw a haymaker mostly out of frustration and Sergio catches him exposed with a straight left that drops Cotto. He gets up on the count of 8 again and Sergio immediately closes the gap to pummel him with a 10 punch combination and Roach throws in the towel to save his man further punishment.

All hail to the REAL MW king and Cotto exits stage left with no post fight interview.
                    This is why I like Mather. He's not all talk when it comes to his favorites and he knows them very well.

I'll have my response ready in short order.

Comment

• Originally posted by El Angel View Post
                      No worries CGNYC. I know you know your stuff. Best of luck to Lara against Canelo. I'm sure I'll get you to break that one down with me
                      Shit, that one's tougher to predict, IMO. Closer to 50-50.

Comment

Working...
                      X