Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Lara can not get the fights he wants at 154, why not move to 160?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DLT View Post
    you can request it all you want. You can even call for Floyd to be stripped. My problem is with someone suggesting he's a coward for choosing to fight someone closer to his own size instead. Again, he is also the WW champ so if he chooses to fight there against guys closer to his size then thats fine also
    Slurrrrp Slurrrrrrrrppppp SLurrrrrrrrrrrpppp

Size has nothing to do with weight, it has to do with reach. You want Floyd fighting more of these guys with short arms that can't get to him. The last time Floyd fought someone with a reach advantage over him was Oscar De La Hoya at 73"

Floyd -72"

Guerrero - 70"
    Cotto - 67"
    Marquez - 67"
    Ortiz - 70"
    Hatton - 65"
    Alvarez - 70 1/2"
    Mosley - 71"

So who are all these guys that are bigger than Floyd? In a game of hit and don't get hit, the guy that can actually physically hit you from a distance that you can't hit him is considered the bigger guy, isn't he?

Is it any wonder that Floyd has made a career of potshotting from the outside against guys he has a 5" reach advantage over?

Lets look at the guys at 154... that are so much bigger than Floyd.

Floyd - 72"
    Martinez - 73"(he moved up from 154 and claims he can still make it easy)
    Lara - 75"
    Trout - 72"
    Molina - 70"
    Martirosian - 73"
    Smith - 71"

Now... who needs to start fighting guys his own size?

Comment

• Originally posted by Spray_resistant View Post
      No, he should keep doing it because he is regarded as the best and should be held to a higher standard than other fighters and as long as he is active and wants to retain that status should have to keep proving it, I already explained why at this time Garcia would be a cherrypick.

It seems like you just want to see Floyd keep winning regardless of quality of opposition.
      OK oh smart one so tell me all these great fighters who were regarded as the best that continuously fought guys who outweighed them by 15-20lbs. Find these fighters for me. I've followed the sport long enough to know they don't exist. Furhhermote, he does it and gets no credit for it. A year ago it was "Lara is a overrated running bum, canelo would destroy Lara. Floyd is ducking canelo." Now a year later its " Canelo is a bum, Angulo destroys him, Lara beats him easy, Floyd is ducking Lara.". This is how imbeciles thing and then u pretend as if it didn't happen. I don't expect him to stay undefeated. What I do expect is common sense to know what unrealistic expectations are and for fools to stop moving goal posts because it suits their agendas

Comment

• Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
        Historically, you say?

So Celestine Caballero (73 inch reach) is close to Lara's size also?

Mike Tyson (71 inch reach) smaller than Mayweather? (72 inch reach)

Sandy Saddler (70 inch reach) similar size to Tim Bradley? (69 inch reach)

I think weight might be a good indicator.

Danny Garcia on fight night in his last fight - 150 lbs.

Floyd Mayweather on fight night in his last fight - 150 lbs.

Erislandy Lara on fight night in his last fight - 164 lbs.

It's pretty obvious that Mayweather and Garcia are closer in size as opposed to Lara and Mayweather.
        damn that was brutal ownage

Comment

• Originally posted by DempseyRollin View Post
          OK oh smart one so tell me all these great fighters who were regarded as the best that continuously fought guys who outweighed them by 15-20lbs. Find these fighters for me. I've followed the sport long enough to know they don't exist. Furhhermote, he does it and gets no credit for it. A year ago it was "Lara is a overrated running bum, canelo would destroy Lara. Floyd is ducking canelo." Now a year later its " Canelo is a bum, Angulo destroys him, Lara beats him easy, Floyd is ducking Lara.". This is how imbeciles thing and then u pretend as if it didn't happen. I don't expect him to stay undefeated. What I do expect is common sense to know what unrealistic expectations are and for fools to stop moving goal posts because it suits their agendas
          a year ago wasn't everyone making fun of canelo and his terrible resume?

Comment

• Originally posted by DempseyRollin View Post
            No one is moving goal posts people just want to see legitimate challenges. Right now at 154 Lara is considered a legitimate threat and seeing as Floyd is the champion of the division there is no reason he couldn't fight him because he has already fought and beat other fighters around that size. Plenty of credit to Floyd for his skill to be able to do that he is a great talent but to argue that the champion of a weight class shouldn't take on worthy challengers whoever they may be because they are a bit bigger than him when he has already beaten other quality fighters of the same size makes no sense.

Now we already established he can make 147 again with ease and if fights can be made with worthy challengers like Pac and maybe Bradley then great and if not what is wrong with wanting to see Floyd in potentially competitive fights against bigger guys in a division he is regarded as the best in anyway where he has beaten fighters of equal size?

Comment

• Originally posted by DLT View Post
              you can request it all you want. You can even call for Floyd to be stripped. My problem is with someone suggesting he's a coward for choosing to fight someone closer to his own size instead. Again, he is also the WW champ so if he chooses to fight there against guys closer to his size then thats fine also
              People call him a coward for fighting Khan and avoiding Pacquio though.

Comment

• Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post
                Slurrrrp Slurrrrrrrrppppp SLurrrrrrrrrrrpppp

Size has nothing to do with weight, it has to do with reach. You want Floyd fighting more of these guys with short arms that can't get to him. The last time Floyd fought someone with a reach advantage over him was Oscar De La Hoya at 73"

Floyd -72"

Guerrero - 70"
                Cotto - 67"
                Marquez - 67"
                Ortiz - 70"
                Hatton - 65"
                Alvarez - 70 1/2"
                Mosley - 71"

So who are all these guys that are bigger than Floyd? In a game of hit and don't get hit, the guy that can actually physically hit you from a distance that you can't hit him is considered the bigger guy, isn't he?

Is it any wonder that Floyd has made a career of potshotting from the outside against guys he has a 5" reach advantage over?

Lets look at the guys at 154... that are so much bigger than Floyd.

Floyd - 72"
                Martinez - 73"(he moved up from 154 and claims he can still make it easy)
                Lara - 75"
                Trout - 72"
                Molina - 70"
                Martirosian - 73"
                Smith - 71"

Now... who needs to start fighting guys his own size?
                You just can't be serious

So Mayweather is bigger than Baldomir?

Tommy Morrison (76 inch reach) is close in size to Erislandy Lara (75 inch reach)

You actually believe that Ortiz, Cotto, Mosley and Canelo are smaller than Mayweather?

Comment

Historically, you say?

So Celestine Caballero (73 inch reach) is close to Lara's size also?

Mike Tyson (71 inch reach) smaller than Mayweather? (72 inch reach)

Sandy Saddler (70 inch reach) similar size to Tim Bradley? (69 inch reach)

I think weight might be a good indicator.

Danny Garcia on fight night in his last fight - 150 lbs.

Floyd Mayweather on fight night in his last fight - 150 lbs.

Erislandy Lara on fight night in his last fight - 164 lbs.

It's pretty obvious that Mayweather and Garcia are closer in size as opposed to Lara and Mayweather.
                  Yes, if he put on the muscle he would be able to stay competitive. Saddler fought as high as 130lb, putting on an extra 10 would have happened in this day and age. Tim Bradley is a 140lb fighter, and always will be. He is small for 147.

Eric Morales, 72" moved up to 140lb from 122, same weight as Sadler, and was Competitive with Marco's Maidana and Danny Garcia.

Everyone we are talking about is stylistically a boxer to some degree, none of these fighters are swarming Tyson, Chavez, Frazier type fighters.

Styles make fights, and the style of fighter Floyd fights is heavily dependent on reach.

Anyone that works behind the jab is heavily dependent on reach. If you are at a reach disadvantage, you are going to have a VERY hard time establishing your jab, and everything else comes off the jab.

You think Floyd would have success with the pull counter and jab to the body against someone who had a reach advantage on him? Not quite as likely as when he is fighting someone like Marquez whom he has a sizeable reach advantage over.

Also... taking things to the extreme is pretty dumb.

Floyd isn't Sandy Sadler moving up to fight Lara. He is the 154lb champion being asked to fight another 154lb champion.

Comment

You just can't be serious

So Mayweather is bigger than Baldomir?

Tommy Morrison (76 inch reach) is close in size to Erislandy Lara (75 inch reach)

You actually believe that Ortiz, Cotto, Mosley and Canelo are smaller than Mayweather?

according to him Paul Williams and Wladimir are the same size

Comment

• Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post
                      Yes, if he put on the muscle he would be able to stay competitive. Saddler fought as high as 130lb, putting on an extra 10 would have happened in this day and age. Tim Bradley is a 140lb fighter, and always will be. He is small for 147.

Eric Morales, 72" moved up to 140lb from 122, same weight as Sadler, and was Competitive with Marco's Maidana and Danny Garcia.

Everyone we are talking about is stylistically a boxer to some degree, none of these fighters are swarming Tyson, Chavez, Frazier type fighters.

Styles make fights, and the style of fighter Floyd fights is heavily dependent on reach.

Anyone that works behind the jab is heavily dependent on reach. If you are at a reach disadvantage, you are going to have a VERY hard time establishing your jab, and everything else comes off the jab.

You think Floyd would have success with the pull counter and jab to the body against someone who had a reach advantage on him? Not quite as likely as when he is fighting someone like Marquez whom he has a sizeable reach advantage over.

Also... taking things to the extreme is pretty dumb.

Floyd isn't Sandy Sadler moving up to fight Lara. He is the 154lb champion being asked to fight another 154lb champion.
                      Who's asking him to fight Lara though? Hardly anyone in general terms. The fighters that have been brought up have been Manny Pacquaio, Danny Garcia, Marcos Maidana, and Adrien Broner (before he got beat). Not even Amir Khan -- his name only came up because of rumor, Khan, and Golden Boy trying to push the agenda.

But Lara? Nope. Trout? Nope.

Comment

Working...
                      X