Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why the double standard: Mayweather and Rigondeaux?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why the double standard: Mayweather and Rigondeaux?

When Mayweather puts on a technical clinic with little offense its acknowledged as masterful by even casual fans and he's the biggest money fighter in the sport. When Guillermo Rigondeaux puts on a technical masterclass and schools a fighter he gets ignored if not criticized by fans and commentators, and gets booted off HBO for not being fan friendly enough.

What makes Floyd's fights so much more exciting than Rigondeaux's?

Originally posted by stuff jones View Post
    I can't tell you what entertainment is supposed to mean to you on a personal level but the general public sees a big difference between what Floyd is doing and what Rigo does. If you don't get it then you just don't get it. The fact that Guillermo has had a total of 1 interesting guy in the ring with him doesn't help his public image either. Floyd can find known guys and create drama to raise interest in the duel. Again, if you don't see the difference then you have to accept that the public generally sees something that you don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
      I can't tell you what entertainment is supposed to mean to you on a personal level but the general public sees a big difference between what Floyd is doing and what Rigo does. If you don't get it then you just don't get it. The fact that Guillermo has had a total of 1 interesting guy in the ring with him doesn't help his public image either. Floyd can find known guys and create drama to raise interest in the duel. Again, if you don't see the difference then you have to accept that the public generally sees something that you don't.
      That's a cop out answer. Do you or do you not see a difference in how entertaining they are in the ring?

Comment

Both have been equally as dominant, one of them has shown far more
        versatility in the ring, sitting in the pocket, walking his opponents down, fighting in the clinches, variating his attack more. To put it more simple, Floyd changes the script a lot more. The fact that people would even ask this really goes to show that some of you guys aren't that analytical.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor_Tenma View Post
          Both have been equally as dominant, one of them has shown far more
          versatility in the ring, sitting in the pocket, walking his opponents down, fighting in the clinches, variating his attack more. To put it more simple, Floyd changes the script a lot more. The fact that people would even ask this really goes to show that some of you guys aren't that analytical.
          Rigondeaux fought more aggressively and excitingly vs Donaire than Floyd has in years.

Comment

he needs to trash talk more like mayorga

Comment

When Mayweather puts on a technical clinic with little offense its acknowledged as masterful by even casual fans and he's the biggest money fighter in the sport. When Guillermo Rigondeaux puts on a technical masterclass and schools a fighter he gets ignored if not criticized by fans and commentators, and gets booted off HBO for not being fan friendly enough.

Rigo and Mayweather are two completely different styles. If you can't see that i don't know where to begin.

Comment

Originally posted by ElMeroChingon View Post
                Rigo and Mayweather are two completely different styles. If you can't see that i don't know where to begin.
                I'm talking about similar entertainment levels, not similar styles. Both are very technical, defensive fighters that don't often let their fist go and hence don't offer the typical fan friendly fight.

Comment

Originally posted by ElMeroChingon View Post
                  How are they "completely" different?

Comment

I'm talking about similar entertainment levels, not similar styles.
                    WTF? Is that seriously the question? Mayweather is one of the biggest sports personalities on earth. No offense to his fans but Rigo has absolutely zero personality in regard to how he's seen by the American public and his mug don't help. You couldn't have picked an area in which they are more polar opposites.

Comment

Working...
                    X