Collapse
No announcement yet.

HBO Sports President Talks Rigondeaux

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very glad to read this. Yes, Rigondeaux has talent, nobody can deny that. However, we fans do not take time out of our day to sit down and get bored. When we sit down to watch TV/content, we want to be entertained. There are hundreds of channels battling for out attention trying to put out the most entertaining content possible, and you expect HBO to rival them by putting the boring Rigondeaux on air. Rigondeaux is as boring as television could get down there with the news.

Reality is, we fans (at least my kind, which are the majority) want to see action and feel excitement when we sit down to watch sports, specially when it comes to combat sports. Rigondeaux doesn't deserve another TV spot, I hope he keeps getting rejected by networks and promoters because in all honesty, he deserves it.
    Last edited by The Problem Child; 12-20-2013, 01:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PBP View Post
      He doesn't need either. The best fighters at 122 and below are not in the US. He needs to travel. That's where the money is.
      And you're right. But I'm being selfish. I want to see Rigo on U.S. networks. lol

Comment

As brilliant and masterful as Rigo is, he's a difficult sell to the casual public. Hell, some boxing fans here don't/can't even appreciate his style.

However, I still think it's incredibly harsh of them to try to blacklist Rigo. At least slash his paycut and throw him on the undercard for an exciting main event. I'm really hoping Golden Boy would be interested in picking him up because they can line him with some great fights with fighters who won't dare fight like cowards in the manner that Agbeko aka Clottey Jr. did.
        Last edited by _original_; 12-20-2013, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
          And you're right. But I'm being selfish. I want to see Rigo on U.S. networks. lol
          Lol. Yeah I agree. But at the same time I would love to see him take on some international champions in Japan and Europe too in front of bigger crowds.

Comment

Originally posted by Elotero View Post
            I think GBP would do better with Rigo than TR. TR is just dropping the ball with this guy. At least there could be a LSC vs Rigo match or even a Mares, Ponce, Jhonny fight. Whats the best TR can do for him? Pit him against a 2- 0 Lomachenko? Pfft..

Rigo is my favorite fighter and its a pleasure to watch him apply his craft. Folks make it seem like he's a combo of John Ruiz, Paulie and Ishe Smith, lol.

I agree, if GBP takes him on, they have many more possible match-ups to offer. The question is, are they willing to take him on?

Comment

Originally posted by PBP View Post
              He doesn't need either. The best fighters at 122 and below are not in the US. He needs to travel. That's where the money is.
              Frampton in N.Ireland

Moreno in Panama

Kiko in Spain

We'll see?

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post

I agree, if GBP takes him on, they have many more possible match-ups to offer. The question is, are they willing to take him on?

rigondeaux isn't fighting santa cruz or mares, if that's what you're implying. i wouldn't hold my breath for it, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Golovkin View Post
                  Very glad to read this. Yes, Rigondeaux has talent, nobody can deny that. However, we fans do not take time out of our day to sit down and get bored. When we sit down to watch TV/content, we want to be entertained. There are hundreds of channels battling for out attention trying to put the out most entertaining content possible, and you expect HBO to rival that by putting the boring Rigondeaux on air. Rigondeaux is as boring as television could get down there with the news.

Reality is, we fans (at least my kind, which are the majority) want to see action and feel excitement when we sit down to watch sports, specially when it comes to combat sports. Rigondeaux doesn't deserve another TV spot, I hope he keeps getting rejected by networks and promoters because in all honesty, he deserves it.
                  Bro, do you know how popular the news is? They even created several dedicated cable news channels years ago. lol I'm not denying that the average fan finds Rigo boring, but I think you're overestimating your handle on what's appealing and what's not.

Comment

HBO and Top Rank are doing everything wrong with Rigo. They should never put him as the main event. I like his style. He is a great boxer. I'd watch any of his fight but some fans do not appreciate his style. Throw some cash for KO. You have to build him up. Tell everyone he should be the p4p #1. You can't have the commentator always talking how boring the fight is. The have to praise his boxing skill.

Comment

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
                      As brilliant and masterful as Rigo is, he's a difficult sell to the casual public. Hell, some boxing fans here don't/can't even appreciate his style.

However, I still think it's incredibly harsh of them to try to blacklist Rigo. At least slash his paycut and throw him on the undercard for an exciting main event. I'm really hoping Golden Boy would be interested in picking him up because they can line him with some great fights with fighters who won't dare fight like cowards in the manner that Agbeko aka Clottey Jr. did.
                      A paycut is not good enough..I hate to say this becaue again I'm a purist but there are limits to even a purist..he is boring.

He needs to be punished until he changes his style and approach to boxing. You know he should be punished...because he knew what was at stake especially after the ridicule he received from the fight he had prior and Arum had to pull out all the stops to get him this date and he still delivered the same boring performance.

Even with the fans booing, he didn't care...he already got our money and said to himself "I'm going to fight my boring style and win"

Sometimes it isn't about just winning, it's about how you win especially when you are fighting an opponent not in your league.

Punishment is in order, let him fight off US television until El Chacel and his moronic manager realizes that fighting on HBO is a privilege....NOT A RIGHT!!!
                      Last edited by Queen_Leia; 12-20-2013, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X