Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not fighting pacquaio how much will it hurt floyds legacy?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't think it would affect anything to be honest. Boxing moves on and new fights takes over.

Comment

Originally posted by Fetta View Post
      His legacy will be fine. 1st ballot HOF and ATG easily.

This era will be remebered as the "Promotional war" era and those two fall into that category. If anything I think Pac legacy will be hurt cause the one time it was there and ready to go he ran from tests which i suspect will be the norm later on. But time will tell
      nah,,, Additional drug tests are not required for a fight and were unheard of at that time. Floyd will be remembered as the psusy who wouldn't fight without the extra tests

Comment

Originally posted by Motofan View Post
        A few years ago would have said it would hurt his legacy a great deal. Not so much since Pac "lost" to Bradley and was put to sleep by Marquez. Im not even sure a lot of casual fans even know Manny still boxes.
        That just worsens the ducking legacy, he didn't have balls to fight the fighter you're describing. And stop kidding yourself. Floyd believes he will lose. Why else won't he fight him? So the majority of thinking people would logically assume Floyd believes in Pac's skills more than fans like you and me. He's the boxer, therefore fans would believe Floyd more than you and me. Know what I mean?

Comment

Originally posted by Davis40 View Post
          nah,,, Additional drug tests are not required for a fight and were unheard of at that time. Floyd will be remembered as the psusy who wouldn't fight without the extra tests
          Thats what i mean will become the norm and when they look back this will pop up and red flags will be raised and questions will be asked just like they are now. But like i said time will tell so who knows what will happen

Comment

Originally posted by Fetta View Post
            Thats what i mean will become the norm and when they look back this will pop up and red flags will be raised and questions will be asked just like they are now. But like i said time will tell so who knows what will happen
            It's already the norm, I mean it's only 3 years since the fight was discarded by Pac over random drug testing and we already have most of the top fighters either for drug testing or already testing, we are now in the age of why would anyone refuse testing.. In test year time I can see how worse it would look when the facts were how one fighter refuse the request of random drug testing for the fight to happen.

Comment

The sane and logical answer is that yes, it does hurt it a great deal. It also hurts Pacquiao a lot, but Mayweather will always be the one who most perceived to have ducked the fight, in spite of the two of them both being at fault.

How shameful that the two best fighters in their weight class were afraid of fighting one another in the richest prize fight in history. That's one fat asterisk that has to be placed alongside both of their resumes.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray*
                Quote:

Originally Posted by Fetta

It's already the norm, I mean it's only 3 years since the fight was discarded by Pac over random drug testing and we already have most of the top fighters either for drug testing or already testing, we are now in the age of why would anyone refuse testing.. In test year time I can see how worse it would look when the facts were how one fighter refuse the request of random drug testing for the fight to happen.
                less than 1% of all fighters do extra testing, but its the norm?

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Originally posted by tyotfo View Post
                  Good comment but this fight had to be made in 2010.
                  Floyd wont get alot of credit for a win over Pac now, way less than in 2010, but he still needs the win.

I look at it as similar to Lewis-Tyson. Lewis needed that win, even though it was a shadow of Tyson at his best and people will always argue who would have won prime for prime, it was still a big win and while it didnt make or break his legacy. It was the icing on the cake.

Comment

Things have happened in recent times that will change the way people in the future look at the events.

1) Blood testing. At one point people were on the fence about the need to implement random drug testing in a fight; it was the previous issue that stood in the way of their fight. However Pacquiao has since demanded random drug tests in one of his bouts, and random drug testing has been more common place. Years from now people will question why Pacquiao didn't take the drug tests asked of him; not why Floyd asked them of him.

2) The money split. Pacquiao turned down $40,000,000 to fight Mayweather. At the time the offer could have been perceived as an insult, but Pacquiao went on to earn less ( individually) in each of his following fights. This means that the figure offered to him will surpass any individual pay day he has received in his career. If his future financial problems worsen, people in the years to come will view it as a poor man turning down a large sum of money.

Comment

As in all things Mayweather/Pacquiao it depends on who you ask. Mayweather fans will say no. Pacquiao fans will say yes. Those in the middle will not care.

Comment

Working...
                      X