Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

breaking down this heavyweight era and others: Why today stinks!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the worst aspect the HW climate post lennox lewis has been that the two best fighters, hall of famers both, cannot fight each other.

if those two weren't brothers they'd have fought each other three times.

next is the conditioning of the contenders. other than the klitschkos, most of these guys are grossly overweight, and can't box for 12 rounds without a ton of rest.
    Last edited by New England; 12-05-2013, 04:41 PM.

Comment

HW division died after after the Forman, Lewis, Holyfield, Tyson, etc. era ended.

It doesn't have **** to do with countries of origins. The fights are trash, the fighters are trash, everything about the division is trash now. My grandpa would turn in his grave if he was aware of what it became.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

Neither Thompson or Gomez were in the year end ranking the year the fought Vits and Wlad respectively. As pointed out in my opening post some fighters were ranked at the time of fight, but if not at the end of year they weren't counted. Its the same for the other fighters I used. I know for a fact Joe Louis fought more than 20 top 10 rated contenders, yet he only has 19 on my list. The formula is fair and its objective.
        What matters was at the time of the fight and not this end of the year stuff. I don't think it's fair because it takes away the true accomplishment of a boxer in any era and any weight. It's very flawed.

Comment

Originally posted by TonitosWay View Post
          HW division died after after the Forman, Lewis, Holyfield, Tyson, etc. era ended.

It doesn't have **** to do with countries of origins. The fights are trash, the fighters are trash, everything about the division is trash now. My grandpa would turn in his grave if he was aware of what it became.
          HW division never died, guys you like just aren't dominating.

It has a lot to do with countries and origins. Most people love to follow their own based on something(flag, race,etc).

Comment

Originally posted by Fantastic One View Post
            What matters was at the time of the fight and not this end of the year stuff. I don't think it's fair because it takes away the true accomplishment of a boxer in any era and any weight. It's very flawed.

Than I'll tell you what to do...go get every monthly issue for The Ring all the way back to 1935 and we can do it your way. Unfortunately I don't have that access. This way is fair to very fighter involved as everyone has been ranked the SAME EXACT WAY. Personally I think you just don't like the results and what they prove. The formula I used is unbiased, deal with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Fantastic One View Post
              HW division never died, guys you like just aren't dominating.

It has a lot to do with countries and origins. Most people love to follow their own based on something(flag, race,etc).
              This is a load of bull. Real boxing fans don't care where a fighter is from. See Kovelov, Pac, GGG, Duran, JCC, Trinidad, Hatton, Cotto and countless others as proof. This is just a crutch you need to feel better about you favorite fighters being in a piss poor era.

Comment

Vitali and wlad could fight in any era and be successful, no doubt..

But after them there is a tremendous drop in talent..

That is what is hurting the division more than anything- povetkin and haye were suppose to be the biggest threats to the klits, and both got beat by wide margins in non-competitive fights..

I think this era is slightly better than the ruiz-byrd-brewster era but its still not very good..

There is alot of fun matchups in this division though if the top guys would just fight each other.
                Fights i wanna see
                wlad-fury
                vitali-stiverne
                stiverne-arreola 2
                wilder-chisora
                price-mitchell
                pulev-perez
                adamek- wilder
                ruiz-glazkov

Some good entertaining fights to be made, they just have to make'em and i think alot of excitement would return to the division

Comment

Expanding on my research and after having dan_cov pick both Vits and Wlads 3 best wins each I've used the same formula for these guys with the exception of counting losses as well as wins as it shows a willingness to fight top comp, win or lose.

Wlads top 3 opponents

Byrd - has fought 7 top 10 fighters not including either Klit. He's fought Povetkin, McCline, Golota, Oquendo, Holyfield, Tua and Ibeabuchi.

Chagaev - Has fought 3 top 10 fighters not including either Klit. He's fought Povetkin, Valuev and Ruiz.

Povetkin - Has fought 1 top 10 fighter not including either Klit. He's fought Chagaev.

That is 11 top 10 fighters fought for Wlads 3 best wins.

Vitaly's top 3 opponents

Sanders - has fought 0 top 10 fighters not including either Klit.

Juan Carlos Gomez - has 1 top 10 opponent not including either Klit. He's fought Virchis.

Adamek - Has fought one top 10 opponent not including the Klits. He's fought Arreola.

That is 2 top 10 fighters fought for Vits 3 best wins.

I'll be doing Holmes, Tyson and Louis in the near future to keep proving my point. Today's era is TERRIBLE!

Comment

Than I'll tell you what to do...go get every monthly issue for The Ring all the way back to 1935 and we can do it your way. Unfortunately I don't have that access. This way is fair to very fighter involved as everyone has been ranked the SAME EXACT WAY. Personally I think you just don't like the results and what they prove. The formula I used is unbiased, deal with it.
                    I would love to have every issue of Ring Magazine all the way back then to be honest. It's not fair at all because some boxers are getting criticized unfairly over something that's not fully accurate. To be honest I rather have something fully accurate and having the Klitschko brothers being at the far end of the rankings than a touch up and them being at the top of it.

This is a load of bull. Real boxing fans don't care where a fighter is from. See Kovelov, Pac, GGG, Duran, JCC, Trinidad, Hatton, Cotto and countless others as proof. This is just a crutch you need to feel better about you favorite fighters being in a piss poor era.

Real boxing fans? How many are those? 1% or less in my opinion.

Comment

The bad thing about Wlad/Vitali that a lot of their best wins haven't even aged well.

My biggest regret in life is not buying a bunch of tomatoes months in advance so I could let them rot and wait for the KBros to announce their next fight so I can go and throw rotten tomatos at them

Comment

Working...
                      X