No announcement yet.

Trinidad v Vargas: Rewatched

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trinidad v Vargas: Rewatched

So today's the anniversary of this great fight and I decided to watch it, it was closer than I remember it to be and damn, those Tito low blows were a game changer....as well as crooked King talking to the commission in between rounds.

How about that round 10?? How the fuk can it be justified for Nadey (the ref) to take away a point from Vargas.

Heres my card:

Round 1 10-7 Tito
    Round 2 10-9 Tito
    Round 3 10-9 Tito
    Round 4 10-7 Vargas
    Round 5 10-9 Vargas
    Round 6 10-9 Vargas
    Round 7 9-9
    Round 8 10-9 Tito
    Round 9 10-9 Tito
    Round 10 10-8 Tito
    Round 11 10-9 Tito (could've gone either way, picked Tito's aggression)
    Round 12 KO

Great, great fight, it had it all. What do you all think of it and how does it compare to everything we've seen since?

Great fight,,,

I love how vargas talked so much **** in the build-up about how he was this tough mexican and that oscar ran from tito, and how he was going to show he was the best, and then ding round 1, first left hook from tito detonated vargas into orbit, then vargas gets up and tells the ref, "im fine" then tito crushes him with another left hook..

Vargas showed huge heart, but tito is one guy you dont want to get into a firefight with, he is the rare puncher that gets stronger as the fight goes on

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
      Great fight,,,

I love how vargas talked so much **** in the build-up about how he was this tough mexican and that oscar ran from tito, and how he was going to show he was the best, and then ding round 1, first left hook from tito detonated vargas into orbit, then vargas gets up and tells the ref, "im fine" then tito crushes him with another left hook..

Vargas showed huge heart, but tito is one guy you dont want to get into a firefight with, he is the rare puncher that gets stronger as the fight goes on
      That sums up the fight, a lot of punchers, including Foreman who happened to commentating, often tired towards the end and lost their fire, yes Foreman had the Moorer fight but watch the Ali/Young/Holy fights, Foreman in the championship rounds lost that edge in power and faltered. The same can be said of Tyson.

Tito was a bit like Marciano, deadly even till the very last bell, no matter what the scorecards said.

Comment

one of the best fights ever. from the shock of round 1. to the comeback in round 4. to the brutal finish.

round 9 was the best. "i'm not the type of fighter who'll run, i'll stand with him, i'll trade with him, i'll stay with him all the way!". classic lampley.

Comment

Watched it yesterday. One of the few times a big fight lives up to expectations, doesnt happen very often.

Comment

Low blows in this bout are so overblown. I think the second time, an incredulous Tito waved his arms in the air and told Vargas to get up. It would be one thing if Tito was ever seriously hurt by Vargas but he wasn't.

Comment

Watched this fight again about 2 months ago, made me re-appreciate how good Fernando Vargas was and how hard Tito hit. Vargas was caught cold by the much more experienced Tito, but almost fought his way back in ala JMM-PAC 1. Tito showed his experience sinking a few shots low when he was being hurt and Feroz showed inexperience when he was hurt. Some of the shots Tito landed, no wonder Vargas was never the same after. The definition of a prime stealing fight.

Comment

remember that was 20 year old vargas,,,,

can you imagine canelo vs tito,,,,, it would be a massacre,,,,

that is why i have never been impressed with canelo,, total hype

Comment

Originally posted by ShamrockXpress View Post
                  Watched this fight again about 2 months ago, made me re-appreciate how good Fernando Vargas was and how hard Tito hit. Vargas was caught cold by the much more experienced Tito, but almost fought his way back in ala JMM-PAC 1. Tito showed his experience sinking a few shots low when he was being hurt and Feroz showed inexperience when he was hurt. Some of the shots Tito landed, no wonder Vargas was never the same after. The definition of a prime stealing fight.
                  Yep, Tito stole Vargas's prime, way too early for him, imagine if Vargas had waited a couple years or if the fight hadn't happened at all, we may be speakin of Vargas as one of the best at light middle ever. Kid had it all but this took too much from him.

Comment

I don't get why people say Tito was hurt so he hit Vargas with low blows.

Tito was never hurt!!! It was one of the many flash knockdowns he experienced throughout his career. The only guy that ever hurt him was Hopkins when he knocked him down and was out on his feet when his father stopped the fight. He had no reason to hit Vargas with low blows on purpose.

...and yeah, it was a great fight.

Comment

Working...
                    X