Collapse
No announcement yet.

Round by Round Scorecard for Froch v Groves

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

James Degale said he didn't give Froch any rounds at all.

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
      Groves 1,2,3,4,6,7
      froch 5,8

78-73

Froch threw his jab with no confidence at all. He seemed scared of Groves at times I'm sorry to say. I know the Froch diehards will have a hard time agreeing with this as apparently he was dishing out "punishment" to Groves. Something only they can see.
      Groves "not taking any punishment" is pretty much only what you see

Even people who think Groves dominated the fight adknowledge he took plenty of punishment.

His face after the fight, again, is pretty solid evidence.

Funny you used Jim Watt's favourite line of the fight about his jab. That's the first time I've seen that echo'd on here. Froch's jab is always like that, he paws with it then snaps it, alternating. Groves did a good job of taking it away at times that's the difference.

Comment

James Degale said he didn't give Froch any rounds at all.
        Then proceeded to say he gave him the 7th and 8th in the very same interview

Comment

Originally posted by taansend View Post
          I agree with you about Jim Watt - which is why I didn't score the fight live & I watched it again without Jim Watt's commentary. My score of 78-73 to Groves is based on my own opinion.

And if you really think that Froch is the greatest UK boxer ever then you really don't know very much about boxing. Froch is an excellent fighter & I' chuffed to be able to watch him but.... well, anyone with even a little bit of boxing knowledge will tell you he's not the best, or ever close to it.

I truly don't mean this as one of those petty "I've forgotten more than you etc etc blah blah" posts but please learn about British Boxing history before stating stuff like that. It detracts from your posts.
          I'd say Froch is up there somewhere with the best of Britain.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
            Groves "not taking any punishment" is pretty much only what you see

Even people who think Groves dominated the fight adknowledge he took plenty of punishment.

His face after the fight, again, is pretty solid evidence.

Funny you used Jim Watt's favourite line of the fight about his jab. That's the first time I've seen that echo'd on here. Froch's jab is always like that, he paws with it then snaps it, alternating. Groves did a good job of taking it away at times that's the difference.
            Taking punishment indicates that he took more punches that you would expect in a world title fight against an established champion. How many clean punches did he take? How many clean punches did Froch take?

That's just absolutely not true. Froch has a great long jab. Abraham, Kessler fights - you see how he can dominate a fight with his jab. He didn't throw it with confidence against Groves. He just didn't as he knew he'd be countered with a stiff right hand that hurts him.

Comment

Then proceeded to say he gave him the 7th and 8th in the very same interview
              I believe he said he could have given them to Froch.

But round 7 was clearly Groves' anyway. Clearly.

Comment

Originally posted by taansend View Post
                I agree with you about Jim Watt - which is why I didn't score the fight live & I watched it again without Jim Watt's commentary. My score of 78-73 to Groves is based on my own opinion.

And if you really think that Froch is the greatest UK boxer ever then you really don't know very much about boxing. Froch is an excellent fighter & I' chuffed to be able to watch him but.... well, anyone with even a little bit of boxing knowledge will tell you he's not the best, or ever close to it.

I truly don't mean this as one of those petty "I've forgotten more than you etc etc blah blah" posts but please learn about British Boxing history before stating stuff like that. It detracts from your posts.
                I think Froch is most certainly one of Britain's greatest ever tbh.

He's got the best resume of any fighter in Britain relative to his division in the past 30 years, maybe apart from Lewis - but not definitely imo.

Comment

Taking punishment indicates that he took more punches that you would expect in a world title fight against an established champion. How many clean punches did he take? How many clean punches did Froch take?

That's just absolutely not true. Froch has a great long jab. Abraham, Kessler fights - you see how he can dominate a fight with his jab. He didn't throw it with confidence against Groves. He just didn't as he knew he'd be countered with a stiff right hand that hurts him.
                  No, punishment indicates taking plenty of solid shots across 9 rounds and having a face that looks like a complete mess after the fight. Which is exactly what happened to Groves.

How can a guy take "no punishment" and have a face like Groves? Literally doesn't make sense.

Why does it matter how much punches Froch took? What difference does that make to the punishment Groves took?

Go and watch Froch's fight with Taylor, Dirrell, Ward, and any fact actually including the ones you mentioned. He varies his jab, he doesn't throw it with authority every time. He threw his jab like he always does against Groves. The only reason you're saying it is because Jim Watt said it and you're actually repeating what he said word for word.

Groves did a good job at taking away his jab at times by countering it, he also got tagged quite abit with it aswell. Much like Dirrell, Taylor and Ward, Froch's jab looked poor at times in the fight because Groves did a good job of taking it away.

Comment

I believe he said he could have given them to Froch.

But round 7 was clearly Groves' anyway. Clearly.
                    He started with "He won none!" to "Yeah Froch was coming on strong in those rounds, could say he won those rounds"

7 was pretty clear for Groves but that's Degales opinion which was a worthless thing to cite from the get go.

Comment

No, punishment indicates taking plenty of solid shots across 9 rounds and having a face that looks like a complete mess after the fight. Which is exactly what happened to Groves.

How can a guy take "no punishment" and have a face like Groves? Literally doesn't make sense.

Why does it matter how much punches Froch took? What difference does that make to the punishment Groves took?

Go and watch Froch's fight with Taylor, Dirrell, Ward, and any fact actually including the ones you mentioned. He varies his jab, he doesn't throw it with authority every time. He threw his jab like he always does against Groves. The only reason you're saying it is because Jim Watt said it and you're actually repeating what he said word for word.

Groves did a good job at taking away his jab at times by countering it, he also got tagged quite abit with it aswell. Much like Dirrell, Taylor and Ward, Froch's jab looked poor at times in the fight because Groves did a good job of taking it away.
                      It matters plenty, because you are using it to justify what was clearly a bad stoppage - to which you admitted yourself you'd be pissed if the roles were reversed. Or at least a stoppage you said would have come naturally had the fight gone on for 5-10 more seconds - something I don't agree with.

His face didn't look like a complete mess, he had a couple of black eyes. It's an insult to Groves not to give him a couple of black eyes, even in sparring. Now, Froch who sat in the press conference with bruises all over his face and a swollen/partially broken jaw - his face was a mess. Groves looked like a poster boy 24 hours after the fight - which is exactly how you could tell the "punishment" wasn't severe enough to have done any particular damage.

I have watched all those fights plenty enough, and there was a difference in this fight. Against Taylor he didn't even lead with the jab most of the time as he was in stalking mode - he was going for the KO. The situation was similar to the Dirrell fight in that he couldn't really get it off - but he was stalking Dirrell all night as he was running for the hills. In the fight against Groves, Froch was on the back foot, lazily throwing out his jab and clinching his face often as he was afraid of what was coming. It was clear as day, and McCracken even told him between rounds to stay off the jab and hold back as he was getting countered with the right hand too easily.

Jim Watt did say it, and he was right. That doesn't mean I don't know how to think for myself and see when a guy has confidence in his jab or not. I have seen all of Froch's fights more or less so I know how he fights.
                      Last edited by LacedUp; 11-30-2013, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X