Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is there anyway floyd could have beaten leonard?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MurkaMan View Post
    I have always said this same thing. Any non biased fan would say this same thing. At the lw Duran was a beast, but at ww, its a white wash for Floyd. You dont have to be biased for this fighter or the next fighter, to speak about the style match up from a tactical stand point. People just hate giving Floyd the credit he deserves, and people love overrating fighters of a past era.
    no lw jww and ww easy duran pick at 154 its tougher but floyd isnt as fleet footed at 154 and doesnt have the jab that did it for benitez

Comment

• Originally posted by Juof View Post
      Leonard looked lost in the first hearns fight. I think floyd could do the same but leonard would probably beat him by ud.
      Looked lost against a 6'2 fighter who could shut his lights out in a second and had amazing hands and skills to boot.

What does this have to do with the question?

Comment

• Originally posted by intoccabile View Post
        Looked lost against a 6'2 fighter who could shut his lights out in a second and had amazing hands and skills to boot.

What does this have to do with the question?
        yeah..Leonard went on full beast mode..in the final rounds vs Hearns 1

Comment

• hell no
          WW is Floyd's 4th division, Leonard started there
          he's got the speed and power there to blitz Floyd, plus size
          and Leonard could go all in if the boxing wasn't working
          he's proven his chin and finishing skills vs much bigger guys
          Floyd lost to a slower Castillo and much lesser guys put hands on him
          Leonard wins this by KO for sure

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghazan View Post
            Leonard I think beats him and beats him easily. They both have great speed..but Floyd rarely throws more than one or two or at most three at 147. He pot shots whereas Leonard will rip of combos and if he has you hurt he will go hell for leather to finish you...just check out Leonard vs Hearns 1..leonard went on a ferocious onslaught towards the end to Ko a prime Hearns.

Feet I give to Leonard, he was younger at 147 then floyd and I think Floyd may have lost a step or two...

Chin to Leonard too. He took fierce punches of brutal ko artists like Duran,Hagler,Benitez and Hearns and although stunned sometimes never looked badly hurt...Floyd was almost down against Mosely..with respect Mosely's right hand is not in the same league as Hearns.

I think Leonard has that little bit extra in all

What do you think?
            Leonard KO's Jr like he did his daddy. Leonard was not bothered by the shoulder roll, neither was Dundee, they made the Old Mayweather come to Leonard.

Comment

• Originally posted by twosweethooks View Post
              Leonard KO's Jr like he did his daddy. Leonard was not bothered by the shoulder roll, neither was Dundee, they made the Old Mayweather come to Leonard.
              Floyd Sr. never shoulder rolled anywhere as accurately or as cleanly as Floyd Jr.

With that said though, I doubt Floyd would have utilized the shoulder roll as much versus a Leonard. He would've utilized other skillsets for a matchup like that.

Hearns is a bigger threat to Floyd than Leonard.

Comment

• Originally posted by TEKGaming View Post
                Floyd Sr. never shoulder rolled anywhere as accurately or as cleanly as Floyd Jr.

With that said though, I doubt Floyd would have utilized the shoulder roll as much versus a Leonard. He would've utilized other skillsets for a matchup like that.

Hearns is a bigger threat to Floyd than Leonard.
                Cant believe this thread is still going its amazing that anyone could think a little man like Floyd who has never really beaten a great fighter at their peak could concede every advantage to possibly the second best welter of all time and win.
                Leonard stops him by half way, Hearns beats him easier and KOs Floyd in 2 no little man lasts with the power of the Hitman just ask the iron chinned Duran.
                Floyd is great but he is in the right place at the right time. If Tommy Hearns was around today at his peak he would destroy every fighter out there and we would be declaring him one of the 5 best of all time and saying no way Leonard or anyone else beats him. Sadly for Hearns he was around at a golden time of boxing and was competing with other ATGs, unlike Floyd who has dominated a fairly bland era and avoided his biggest challengers completely or until they have slipped.
                Last edited by hogey; 11-07-2013, 07:28 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by hogey View Post
                  Cant believe this thread is still going its amazing that anyone could think a little man like Floyd who has never really beaten a great fighter at their peak could concede every advantage to possibly the second best welter of all time and win.
                  Leonard stops him by half way, Hearns beats him easier and KOs Floyd in 2 no little man lasts with the power of the Hitman just ask the iron chinned Duran.
                  Floyd is great but he is in the right place at the right time. If Tommy Hearns was around today at his peak he would destroy every fighter out there and we would be declaring him one of the 5 best of all time and saying no way Leonard or anyone else beats him. Sadly for Hearns he was around at a golden time of boxing and was competing with other ATGs, unlike Floyd who has dominated a fairly bland era and avoided his biggest challengers completely or until they have slipped.
                  Sorry that some of us like to look at boxing objectively and realistically and not turn history into mythological demi-gods.

Comment

• Originally posted by TEKGaming View Post
                    Sorry that some of us like to look at boxing objectively and realistically and not turn history into mythological demi-gods.
                    I am in the Leonard beats May camp (not devastatingly so), but agree with this statement.

That being said, I think Hearns would easily handle all current WW and only May can give him a match (still favor Hearns)

Comment

• Originally posted by rr00676 View Post
                      I am in the Leonard beats May camp (not devastatingly so), but agree with this statement.

That being said, I think Hearns would easily handle all current WW and only May can give him a match (still favor Hearns)
                      I agree he beats him if they were in the same era but only due to the natural size difference. Floyd started at 130 and Leonard was a natural Welterweight. That being said, if we were to require they fight in prime stages, that is to say, physical prime, we'd have to assume they started their careers at roughly the same time or around the same stage of their individual aging process. Due to that, they never would have been able to fight because Floyd would have been dominating the 130-140 divisions for the most part of Leonard's career.

By the time Floyd was big enough to be at Welterweight, Leonard would be entering past prime and Floyd would still be within his physical prime (Floyd has a longer and more healthy career in terms of age). A fight at that stage would be more even.

Now if we're talking about a theoretical matchup where both happen to be the same size (in terms of natural weight, meaning assuming Floyd fights at WW like he did at 135 in terms of physicality), and both are at physical prime, and at their peak boxing intelligence (meaning both are at the height of their learning experience), I give Floyd the edge by a pretty decent amount.

If we're talking about Hearns at the same theoretical variables, Hearns would be the greater threat to Floyd, way more than Leonard or Hagler. That long jab and the sheer height difference even if Floyd started at Welterweight would be a few of the key variables in such a matchup. I see Floyd losing this match but I would be confident in him winning the rematch.

Comment

Working...
                      X