Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

who deserves to be 2013 fighter of the year? why?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mayweather
    Bradley
    Rigondeaux
    Garcia
    Stevenson

I think these are the 5 candidates. If you were to rank their wins from best to worst:

1. Donaire - Dominant
    2. Marquez - Competitive but Clear
    3. Matthysse - Competitive but Clear
    4. Canelo - Dominant
    5. Dawson - Dominant
    6. Guerrero - Dominant
    7. Provodnikov - Close but clear on points, could argue some questionable calls
    8. Judah - Clear
    9. Agbeko*
    10. Bellew*
    11. Cloud - Dominant

I put an asterisk next to Agbeko and Bellew because you can never overlook anything in boxing. But it depends on what you look for. All 5 fighters are worthy.

Comment

Originally posted by WilkinsOlajuwon View Post
      The fact that you have to dress up Floyd's wins with "dominated two top fighters in their respective division" instead of simply stating the names of who he beat sums up everything about groupies. The Ghost win was trash. Canelo was solid. Floyd is not a lock just because he is popular.

Also, Adonis will be in his 4th fight later this year.
      Look whore, you're just making assumptions here. Floyd is pretty much a lock (and yes popularity is the key factor here) and I'd bet you accounts he's going to win it. I'm not dressing up shit, it's the truth he beat two top fighters, if anybody had those two victories they'd be getting praised right now. But since it's Floyd, those wins don't mean much now. Let's put childish bias aside for a minute and try to be objective here. I'm not saying there's better wins than Rigo's over Donaire, Gonzalez' over Mares, or Garcia's over Matthysse, but it is what it is.

Comment

For me Bradley should be in the mix. He went to hell and back with Provodnikov and totally outboxed & outclassed Marquez. Dude gets my respect.

Others may not agree but I think if Hopkins beats Murat impressively (e.g. by KO) he should also be in the queue. 2013 is the year when he broke his own record to become the oldest man in recorded boxing history to win a world boxing championship, and I believe that was no mean feat.

Comment

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
          Look whore, you're just making assumptions here. Floyd is pretty much a lock (and yes popularity is the key factor here) and I'd bet you accounts he's going to win it. I'm not dressing up shit, it's the truth he beat two top fighters, if anybody had those two victories they'd be getting praised right now. But since it's Floyd, those wins don't mean much now. Let's put childish bias aside for a minute and try to be objective here. I'm not saying there's better wins than Rigo's over Donaire, Gonzalez' over Mares, or Garcia's over Matthysse, but it is what it is.
          You can call Ghost a top fighter till the end of time, but he wasnt and that wont change. Talk about childish bias...no unbiased fan would call Floyd a lock unless they are green or a groupie. It is what it is.

Look at the past winners of FOY, popularity is not always the key factor.

Comment

Originally posted by WilkinsOlajuwon View Post
            You can call Ghost a top fighter till the end of time, but he wasnt and that wont change. Talk about childish bias...no unbiased fan would call Floyd a lock unless they are green or a groupie. It is what it is.

Look at the past winners of FOY, popularity is not always the key factor.
            Guerrero is a top fighter whether you want to accept it or not. Guess you're the green "boxing fan" here because you're not familiar with Guerrero's career apparently. Floyd is a lock because of popularity + 2 good wins, it's not rocket science. I'm also offering a bet that Floyd wins it but you're too pussy to accept it.

Comment

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
              Guerrero is a top fighter whether you want to accept it or not. Guess you're the green "boxing fan" here because you're not familiar with Guerrero's career apparently. Floyd is a lock because of popularity + 2 good wins, it's not rocket science. I'm also offering a bet that Floyd wins it but you're too pussy to accept it.
              Who gives a F about some internet bet? What will that prove? I dont need a fake bet to know what I know.

If Guerrero is so diesel why not just say "Guerrero" instead of "top fighter, proven welter blah blah" if he is so dope his name would be enough--but since he isnt you have to add mustard--just like GB did when they promoted the fight and had Giampa add him to the p4p list. I'm not blind to call Canelo a joke fight, that was a solid win, but Ghost? F that. The top welters are Bradley Floyd and Marquez...maybe Pac. That's it.

A fighter doesnt need to be popular to win FOY. Floyd is unfortunately in the running but he is no way a 'lock' Garcia, Bradley and Adonis all have beefier/equal accomplishments and there is no debate.

Comment

Originally posted by J The UnBiased View Post
                So, beating up 4 low ranked guys you were favored to beat trumps Rigo beating a P4P'er in a fight many felt would be a toss up? Cool
                I recall quite a few people here picking Rosado over Golovkin back in January.

Also, the Macklin fight was pretty much 50/50 going in no matter how you try and spin it. Nearly everybody was in agreement that it would be Golovkin's toughest challenge to date...and he steamrolled him.

Ishida I'll give you based on ranking, but that was a "keep busy" fight, and Ishida is another solid fighter.

Many people here are picking Stevens to upset Golovkin, as well.

Comment

Bradley showed a lot of heart and determination against Ruslan, but that fight didn't warranted that he should be the "Fighter Of The Year" when he had trouble pulling off a convincing victory. He had a good technical performance against Marquez, but he didn't completely outclassed him. I think Bradley should get an award for being a part of the "Fight Of The Year" with Ruslan, but i don't think he should be "Fighter Of The Year" coming off a tough war with Ruslan, and a good technical performance against a 40-year-old JMM.

If Floyd doesn't get it, then i think Rigo or Garcia should get it.

Comment

last time Donaire got it after he beat three bums and a stiff so IŽd expect Deontay Wilder to be frontrunner this year..

Comment

• Garcia beat matthysse and zab. No one deserves it more. All y'all thought swift would be ko'd laying in a hospital bed. Upset baby. Mayweather don't deserve it.

Comment

Working...
                      X