No announcement yet.

Cleverly: 'I Want A Rematch with Kovalev!'

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleverly: 'I Want A Rematch with Kovalev!'

Nathan Cleverly says he wants a rematch with Sergey Kovalev.

The 26-year-old Welshman had hinted at retirement after being stopped in four rounds by the Russian in August's world light heavyweight title fight.

But the Cefn Fforest fighter told BBC Radio Wales Sport he wants the chance to regain his WBO crown.

"There's only one fight I want and that's the rematch - I don't care about the money," said Cleverly. "Am I going to get it? Who knows?"

He added: "I'll try my best to get it, I'll go to America for it. It's not about the money for me - it's not about the pay-day - it's about having that chance to get my title back."

Cleverly suffered his first career defeat at the hands of the big-punching Kovalev, 30, and was also knocked down for the first time in his career.

He concedes that some observers might be surprised at his willingness to face the Russian for a second time, given the nature of his defeat.

"This guy, wow he hits hard you know," admitted Cleverly.

"I've sparred with big punchers before and sparred heavyweights and I've fought good punchers but, this guy, he does hit freakishly hard. But I would still love the opportunity again.

"Everything was going to plan in that fight, and [then] I got caught.

"And when I got caught it spiralled downhill then because I couldn't recover. But hopefully if we get the rematch I'll avoid getting caught with the big punch and maybe take him into my territory.

"If he beats me a second time I'll hold my hands up and congratulate him, but the chance to fight for my world title again - that's what I want next."
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/wales/24358753

Doesn't seem like a good move for Cleverly.

Comment

He won't even last 3 rounds...

Comment

Terrible, terrible for me. Retirement sounded silly after the loss, but if he gets blasted out in a few rounds by Kovalev again, it would be totally reasonable.

Why isn't get fighting Macarinelli for the domestic strap? Youd think Frank would be besides himself trying to make that fight.

Comment

Kovalev en DosRounds

Comment

Makes no sense. Kovalev will beat him bad again.

Comment

This is where his friends should have a word with him, different people deal with fuck ups in different ways, unfortunately one of those ways of dealing with a fuck up is to rush right back into the same fuck up.

His no. 1 priority should be regaining his sense of self/pride outside of the setback.

Comment

He should go in another direction.

Comment

I respect the balls but his head is on backwards.

Comment

Respect but he needs to stay away from Kovalev

Fight BHop instead

Comment

Working...
                    X