No announcement yet.

Cleverly: 'I Want A Rematch with Kovalev!'

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Koba-Grozny View Post
    Just a bog standard Bachelors degree a 2-2 I think, though Pure Maths is one of the few degrees that ain't been 'dumbed down' too badly.

Yeah Clev, I'm sure everything was going to plan right up until you stepped into the ring and had the snot beaten outta you for 3 rnds.
    I dunno why people have to be so negative.
    I suspect he is better educated and has achieved more than yourself in boxing.
    There are some truly stupid fans on here. Saying how he got exposed and is rubbish etc etc. And yet the same fans proclaim Kovalev is one of the best abotu at the moment.

All, that said I don't think it's a good idea to go back this way so quickly but it's his decision.

I have nothing but respect for someone who has integrity and wants to avenge his defeat and perhaps retire if not. If he only wants to be at the top and he isnt good enough for that then I wouldn't be grudge him leaving boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by TGD View Post
      100% this. The fighter in him wants to make amends, which is natural. He needs good advice right now. Take the time to build himself back up, steadily increasing the quality of opposition along the way.
      Agreed. He might not want that though.

Comment

Originally posted by The Weebler I View Post
        He should go in another direction.
        In the direction of WBA Light Heavyweight Beibut Shumenov 13-1 (8KOs)

Comment

An immediate rematch is just plain stupid and, besides, who's gonna pay to see this? Fans want to see Kovalev face Stevenson, Hopkins, Pascal; not some guy he already convincingly beat

Cleverly has to enter a 'rebuilding' phase of his career. Like some other posters stated, go fight on the domestic scene and build yourself up again

Comment

So he's still concussed would appear

Comment

Originally posted by Funky_Monk View Post
              I dunno why people have to be so negative.
              I suspect he is better educated and has achieved more than yourself in boxing.
              There are some truly stupid fans on here. Saying how he got exposed and is rubbish etc etc. And yet the same fans proclaim Kovalev is one of the best abotu at the moment.

All, that said I don't think it's a good idea to go back this way so quickly but it's his decision.

I have nothing but respect for someone who has integrity and wants to avenge his defeat and perhaps retire if not. If he only wants to be at the top and he isnt good enough for that then I wouldn't be grudge him leaving boxing.
              Fair 'nuff, he ain't better educated but has sure as hell done more than I ever will in boxing.

P'Haps it did come across as unduly harsh, but he genuinely seems to believe he was doing OK in that fight. I gave him props at the time for taking it, and applaud his decision to continue boxing (and believe he could be good enough to one day gain another belt), but an immediate Kovalev rematch is a very bad idea.

For the record, I've never said Clev got exposed or anything similar (in fact in studying his fights pre 9/17 got a lotta respect for his style and workrate) I am however one of those who reckon Kovalev may be the best LHW in the world right now.
              Last edited by Citizen Koba; 10-04-2013, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Everyone criticised Cleverly for not looking for challenges and now people complain when he says he wants to avenge his loss.

He won't be rematching Kovalev any time soon. HBO are looking to make Kovalev-Stevenson soon. Cleverly needs to rebuild steadily. He was kinda thrown in at the deep end with Kovalev - it looked like man against boy.

Comment

I can't see why there would be an immediate rematch. Kovavlev doiminated. Cleverly needs to take a comeback fight 1st. Kovalev is on to bigger and better things.

Comment

Working...
                  X