No announcement yet.

Name the pioneers of their style

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Young Money View Post
    Maxie Rossenbloom, he was the pioneer of the Joe Calzaghe slap style.
    Lol, Joe is definitely indebted to Slapsie Maxie

Comment

Originally posted by Rudiamonds View Post
      Tyson search and destroyes style
      Have you never heard of Jack Dempsey??

Comment

Originally posted by Pudgemeister View Post
        Carl Lewis perfected Floyds style

Florence "Flo-Jo" Joyner was the first pioneer of Floyd's style.

Comment

Pancho Villa, the great Filipino fighter may have led the way in the rule of going to the neutral corner when you knock down your opponent. This rule was not in place when Villa fought but Villa known for being clean fighter use to go to a neutral corner when knocking down his opponent.

Comment

Bill Richmond maybe be considered the first pioneer of boxing. He first decided to use footwork, rather than just stand there and trade, he used his footwork and dodge the punches making his much opponents missed. Using this method he was able to beat much bigger moments.

Comment

Gene Tunney, he was one of the if not the first boxer to study the tapes of his opponent. He done this for the Dempsey fights and probably gave him the edge over Dempsey. Nowadays all top class boxers or their trainer study the tapes.

Comment

Boxing is pretty old, I doubt anything new in terms of technique has been invented by anyone you could have seen on tv, heard on radio, or there is even a historical record of.

Comment

Roy jones is one of a kind.
                  Cant be duplicated.

Flash elorde and his amazing footwork that
                  Ali inherited

Comment

Originally posted by violaandme View Post
                    I don't know who the brooklyn Dodgers were named after for dodging trollies but floyd has become an expert at dodging any real threats
                    Floyd pioneered random blood and urine testing in boxing.

And only one guy who's name starts with a P and ends in 'man' has been dodging it since it was first announced.

Comment

i think joe gans is often credited with "creating" the jab. not that he was the first fighter to throw a straight punch with the lead hand but rather understanding the value of using it to control range, pace, to set up other punches and keep your opponent at bay. gans was also a prominent feinter, wouldnt say he invented the feint since that like the jab is impossible to track. but he did take it to another level.

corbett was one of the pioneers of technical boxing in a time when most ppl fought like rock em sock em robots, especially in the HW division. jack johnson brought it to another level, they both relied on the jab and movement unlike the other HWs of that time. only corbett was praised for it though, johnson being black was accused of fighting cowardly while corbett was given credit for fighting smart.

kid gavilan made the bolo punch popular. archie moore had a very special style that few fighters have used since, i cant think of anyone before him boxing in the same manner although i could very well be wrong.

ali didnt invent his style, but he was the first to use it in the HW division and has been mimicked countless times since so i think he deserves some props.

as does james toney, floyd mayweather and bernard hopkins. they far from invented their respective styles but they did bring back some lost arts of boxing and floyd of course is the most mimicked fighter today, so in a sense they brought the old school back.

Comment

Working...
                      X