Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So why was Marvin Hagler never told to move up in weight to challenge himself?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why didn't Floyd stay at 147 and fight Margarito?

Anyway I seem to remember Hagler being offered a fight with Michael Spinks, but he refused opting to stay at MW as there where still big money fights to be made. I honestly dont think that Hagler, being relatively short, fancied his chances against the fearsome Spinks.

Comment

Anyone know what Floyd walks around at?

I used to think he was too small for middleweight but seeing how easily he handled Canelo who outweighed him by 15 pounds has got me interested.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
        Why didn't Floyd stay at 147 and fight Margarito?

Anyway I seem to remember Hagler being offered a fight with Michael Spinks, but he refused opting to stay at MW as there where still big money fights to be made. I honestly dont think that Hagler, being relatively short, fancied his chances against the fearsome Spinks.
        Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
        I HATE Floyd. I want him to lose so badly my gut hurts. But moving up to fight Ward or GGG is ridiculous and something only a biased hater would want to see Floyd do. Give credit where its due. The guy is an azzhole, but he's an undeniably great fighter who has already come far enough up in weight and beaten good competition.

Oh, and Hagler was criticized when called out by Micheal Spinks.
        Soooo why was Hagler never called a ducker?

Comment

Originally posted by WilkinsOlajuwon View Post
          I've always said Sergio--for years now.

But I do not agree that "all" of us want floyd to go up and challenge himself. I think just as foolishly as uneducated haters call for him to fight Ward, foolish defenders act like small men never fight big men.
          Their reaction is that you are holding those men, who were in their 20's and hadn't moved up yet or moved up 7 or 14lbs, with floyd who is 36 and has moved up 24 lbs.

Can you at least see the difference?

Also, posters always point out Duran. Duran didn't "move up" he ate, drank and smoked himself out of LW. Duran was more like Joan Guzman than he was say floyd/hagler/bhop who are in tremendous shape.

Comment

Originally posted by BamBam_ View Post
            He just said he was criticized. What do you want, people to make a 150 threads a day about it like they do with Floyd?

Its not gonna happen so just let it go.

Comment

Because there was no internet back then. Every idiot in the world now owns a computer and thinks they know it all. Hagler was a ducker and neither is Floyd.

Comment

Hagler was too small for 175 and would have been destroyed there.

I'm sure if 168 was a more established weight-class he may have given that a go but that's the highest weight he'd ever have a chance at.

Hagler absolutely cleaned 160 during his pre-title run and early defences and it's that dominance and longevity that makes him great. When the whole Fab Four saga began there were a few other fights against the likes of McCallum and Graham that could have been made but I understand why Hagler chose a name fighter like Leonard.

Comment

Originally posted by arakawa dunn View Post
                  their reaction is that you are holding those men, who were in their 20's and hadn't moved up yet or moved up 7 or 14lbs, with floyd who is 36 and has moved up 24 lbs.

Can you at least see the difference?

also, posters always point out duran. Duran didn't "move up" he ate, drank and smoked himself out of lw. Duran was more like joan guzman than he was say floyd/hagler/bhop who are in tremendous shape.
                  checkmate!

Comment

Leonard duran hearns........thats why.
                    $$$$$ and legacy fights.

Comment

I dont recall the specific circumstances, but I do remember Hagler getting critisism. On the other hand he fought Hearns, Durán, Mugabi and Leonard, so it's not like he was cherrypicking his way through divisions as others(!) gets critisized for doing.

Comment

Working...
                      X