Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So why was Marvin Hagler never told to move up in weight to challenge himself?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yall make great points about there being no internet back then lol

The whole reason I made this thread is becuz people have soooo much crap to say about floyd becuz they don't like him (and that is their right) but when it comes to other boxers they don't wanna say ANYTHING

U know what I mean?
    Last edited by BamBam_; 09-18-2013, 02:57 PM.

Comment

I actually don't criticize fighters taking on anyone just one division below them because unless your jumping a couple divisions to fight some above or below you I think it's 'skills' are gonna win the fight, not the weight... But Floyd has no business at 160
      Last edited by Ekscape; 09-18-2013, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
        I dont recall the specific circumstances, but I do remember Hagler getting critisism. On the other hand he fought Hearns, Durán, Mugabi and Leonard, so it's not like he was cherrypicking his way through divisions as others(!) gets critisized for doing.
        if that happened today a segment of NSB would call it 2 blown up ww, a blown up JMW and a blown up LW. Thats of course after saying he was ducking SPinks.

Comment

Originally posted by Arakawa Dunn View Post
          if that happened today a segment of NSB would call it 2 blown up ww, a blown up JMW and a blown up LW. Thats of course after saying he was ducking SPinks.
          I guess it depends upon the timing of the Spinks offer. When was it? Who did Hagler fight instead? Thats information needed. We dont need information about Floyd cherrypicking easy Baldo instead of fearsome Marg. We know that already.

Comment

It's always interesting to see how people judge boxers differently lol

Comment

Hagler was also fortunate enough to have boxers who were perceived as posing a legitimate threat to him. John Mugabi was never anything more than a good, solid contender, but he had been built up on network television and had scored devastating knockout after devastating knockout - and there's nothing a casual fan loves more than a guy who can turn your lights out at any point in the fight. Same thing with Tommy Hearns, who had just violated and destroyed a living legend who had just given Hagler fits seven months earlier.

Right now, the only guy who is perceived as posing any legitimate threat to Mayweather is Golovkin. That's simply the standard to which Mayweather is held. The fact that his closest perceived threat is two weight classes above his own is a major compliment.

Comment

Originally posted by Arakawa Dunn View Post
                So true

Comment

Originally posted by BamBam_ View Post
                  EXACTLY!!!

They wouldn't stop until they got to cruiser and Heavyweights
                  they did the same with pac. started at 108 and ppl wanted him to fight sergio at 154

Comment

Originally posted by BamBam_
                    Quote:

Originally Posted by arakawa dunn

their reaction is that you are holding those men, who were in their 20's and hadn't moved up yet or moved up 7 or 14lbs, with floyd who is 36 and has moved up 24 lbs.

Can you at least see the difference?

also, posters always point out duran. Duran didn't "move up" he ate, drank and smoked himself out of lw. Duran was more like joan guzman than he was say floyd/hagler/bhop who are in tremendous shape.

checkmate!
                    If Duran did all of what you said, and still won at 168, you just proved how much of a badass he was. He didn't need to be in tremendous shape to kick ass.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Originally posted by Twako View Post
                      they did the same with pac. started at 108 and ppl wanted him to fight sergio at 154
                      I remember Sergio saying he would come down to 154 to fight him but I wasn't one of the people pushing for that

Comment

Working...
                      X