No announcement yet.

Whitaker vs Duran at 147..who wins

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excellent post.

Pea is a boxing god and top five all-time great in my opinion. He beats Duran where Floyd would lose to Duran. He is the greatest defensive fighter to ever get into a boxing ring and his jab was punishing as well. His legs where amazing and that would be the difference. You couldn't even hit Pea with a jab consistently. I laugh at those who feel that Floyd is a better defender. He gets hit with jabs and bodyshots on a regular basis. If he fought higher level of opposition, you would see who the better defender really was.

Comment

Whitaker.

Duran is perhaps the greatest lightweight ever. He is an all-time great as well. I KNOW he would beat Floyd up but he isn't beating Pea. PERIOD! We are talking about the greatest defensive fighter to ever step into the squared circle. You could barely hit him with anything. Not a jab, not body shots, not even an elbow. It would have been exciting but Duran gets out-pointed fairly easy. You tards picking Duran are doing so because??????

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post

Duran has confirmed on multiple occasions he quit because he was frustrated.

One of those occasions comes from his autobiography "hands of stone"

Hands of stone page 205...Ray Arcel was there said Duran quit because he was sick of Ray not fighting him like a man....There were no cramps, nothing. His exact words were No quiero pelear con el payaso...Which means I do not want to fight with this clown.....Howard Cosell who doesn't know spanish created the myth that Duran only said No Mas.....Meyran..the referee also said Duran said this in broken English.

Carlos eleta also said No mas was never mentioned.... Oh Aqui..In Durans own Autobiography...he refuted ever telling his corner he had stomach cramps...page 204 Hands of Stone....Freddie Brown made up the story about Stomach Cramps...He told reporters....

Page 207...Eleta arrives at the hospital to justify that there would not be serious problems with Duran. "Duran didn't have anything wrong with him, There were no stomach cramps. He just simply was not prepared for that fight. Leonard was beating him and Duran said that nobody will knock me out".

Duran says there were no stomach cramps, Eleta says there wasn't, Arcel says there wasn't. Freddie Brown who was always with Duran, claimed Roberto did not have cramps and that after he quit, he made up the cramps story to protect Duran.

If anybody disputes this, they can read the book on their own.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
          One of those occasions comes from his autobiography "hands of stone"

Hands of stone page 205...Ray Arcel was there said Duran quit because he was sick of Ray not fighting him like a man....There were no cramps, nothing. His exact words were No quiero pelear con el payaso...Which means I do not want to fight with this clown.....Howard Cosell who doesn't know spanish created the myth that Duran only said No Mas.....Meyran..the referee also said Duran said this in broken English.

Carlos eleta also said No mas was never mentioned.... Oh Aqui..In Durans own Autobiography...he refuted ever telling his corner he had stomach cramps...page 204 Hands of Stone....Freddie Brown made up the story about Stomach Cramps...He told reporters....

Page 207...Eleta arrives at the hospital to justify that there would not be serious problems with Duran. "Duran didn't have anything wrong with him, There were no stomach cramps. He just simply was not prepared for that fight. Leonard was beating him and Duran said that nobody will knock me out".

Duran says there were no stomach cramps, Eleta says there wasn't, Arcel says there wasn't. Freddie Brown who was always with Duran, claimed Roberto did not have cramps and that after he quit, he made up the cramps story to protect Duran.

If anybody disputes this, they can read the book on their own.
          You read the entirty? It's a great read.

There's a Documentry that came out a while back, I forget the name, where he talked about the frustration of that fight and that he thought to himself "Forget this, I gave Leonard a rematch so he will give me one." During the fight.

Duran has elluded to this a list of times since the second fight.

Comment

Originally posted by GOD-FR33 View Post
            Duran is perhaps the greatest lightweight ever. He is an all-time great as well. I KNOW he would beat Floyd up but he isn't beating Pea. PERIOD! We are talking about the greatest defensive fighter to ever step into the squared circle. You could barely hit him with anything. Not a jab, not body shots, not even an elbow. It would have been exciting but Duran gets out-pointed fairly easy. You tards picking Duran are doing so because??????
            How many fights of his have you seen? Pea was dropped quite a few times in his career, and while he was difficult to find, especially when he played defense alone, he could certainly be caught, hurt and/or dropped.

McGirt dropped him twice. Hurtado dropped him twice. Mayweather dropped him. He could be hit.

Anyway, its a pick em fight for me. Duran would be faster, with better combos and counter punching, than just about anyone else Whitaker faced and it would give him trouble, but its always difficult to keep landing consistently on Pea. Duran might hurt him, drop him, possibly even a couple of times, but its a hard fight for both.

Also, as SBleeder said, it depends which Duran showed up. By the time he got to 147 people were already writing him off because he had come in out of shape for fights there and looked lacklustre and flat, but he also only lost 1 fight at 147 to the second or third greatest welter ever, and he also beat him too. If its the best version then very, very few fighters in history beat him. Whitaker could arguably be one of them, but the Duran from Montreal was something else.

I'd pick Duran from Montreal to win, but Duran from most other 147 fights to lose.
            Last edited by BennyST; 09-18-2013, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
              You read the entirty? It's a great read.

There's a Documentry that came out a while back, I forget the name, where he talked about the frustration of that fight and that he thought to himself "Forget this, I gave Leonard a rematch so he will give me one." During the fight.

Duran has elluded to this a list of times since the second fight.
              Yes Irondan, I did. It's one of the best boxing books I've ever read. I also saw that documentary and his comments but I can't seem to find anything about it online. I don't even remember the name of it

Comment

Originally posted by Money Team. View Post
                I say if Leonard frustrated Duran and made him quit then Whitaker makes him pull his hair out and sit in the middle of the ring Indian style
                that was one fight man. bizzarro and viruet ran for their lives. duran doesn't just quit because he's frustrated by somebody running.

Comment

i dont know id take whitaker but man would i of loved to see this

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
                    I would never believe that Duran is afraid of anything, but that quote sounds more like fear of getting stopped than frustration over Leonard's antics.

Comment

Originally posted by ßringer View Post
                      That's an NSB fanboy myth. Whether or not Duran quit due to being "frustrated" is entirely open to debate and will never be known for certain. That said, the scorecards at the time of Duran's quitting indicate a much more competitive fight than what these NSB idiots who never saw the fight outside of clips on Ray Leonard's "Beyond the Glory" would have you believe.

Duran was definitely live in that one until he quit.

Regardless, it's one quit in a career that spanned 119 fights. If you're counting on Duran to quit then you're really risking it all on a pretty slim (0.8403%) possibility.
                      The only myth surrounding that fight is that he said no mas. He said something along the lines of I'm not fighting this *****. But he just wasn't good enough to catch up to leonard.

Comment

Working...
                      X