No announcement yet.

Sergio Martinez - pronounced how?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sergio Martinez - pronounced how?

How do Argies pronounce the name Sergio? Is it "Ser-gee-oh", "Ser-jee-ohh" or "Ser-hee-oh"? I seem to hear the 2nd one a lot, especially by broadcasters, but I also remember hearing something about the 3rd one being native.

(And yes, I know that they speak a funny kinda Italian-sounding dialect of Spanish in Argentina.)

Surge-e-oh

Comment

Reminds me of all the different ways people was pronouncing Rigo's name.

Ri-gon-dough
      ri-gon-de-ow
      ri-gon-dow

Etc etc

Comment

With a lisp. Thergio.

Comment

"MartinMurray'sbitch"

Comment

Sexio Martinez IIRC

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
              Reminds me of all the different ways people was pronouncing Rigo's name.

Ri-gon-dough
              ri-gon-de-ow
              ri-gon-dow

Etc etc
              Oh yea, I've heard all the variations from ESPN to HBO. Funny stuff. I tend to say "Ri-gon-dough" these days, with a rolled R. But since the latter part of it sounds kinda French-like, maybe the R shouldn't be rolled...?

Originally posted by ИATAS View Post
              With a lisp. Thergio.
              Not sure if serious, but if so - proper Spanish-Spanish-style, but the G is not an H?

Comment

the G sound is different as you move through the latin American world. certain spanish speaking people are going to say it differently.

argentina has a very european sounding spanish, at least ot my ears, for south america .

Comment

Spaniards had a gay King that talked with a lisp so they copied him since Spaniards are fruity by nature, so most of them still today have a lisp. Imagine saying Sergio as gay and feminine as humanly possible - that's how you say it properly. Sometimes it helps to make a limp wrist when saying his name as well.

Comment

I don't really give a **** about pronunciation, everybody has a different accent any way.
                    Last edited by DARKSEID; 09-17-2013, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X