Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would you rate this HW era?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

everyone who carries the pounds of a heavyweight says the division is **** ! so please come to the gym and show us what you got to offer in the gym in NJ / PHILLY or where ever. the division is hot. just the Russians are better than everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by VG_Addict View Post
      Said Cruiser was featherfisted and STILL managed to floor Fury.
      Fighters get knocked down all the time, that's a weak line of argument. Fury wasn't hurt, just got caught, he fought on and stopped SC inside 7 rounds.

Comment

He also got floored by ANOTHER featherfist in Pajkic.

Comment

Originally posted by Weltschmerz View Post
          At lot of it undoubtedly has to do with exposure in the US. Wilder is hyped at the moment but has yet to have a real test.
          I think that's fair; but more importantly I noticed this.

You're from Germany, so, of course the heavyweight division is not going to be that bad from your perspective. In the states, right now, there's a tendency to latch on to any hope 'cause our heavies have been sucking wind since Evander passed his prime.

Perception is everything. Other posters on here from the states would be more inclined to agree this is a poor division.

I'll never forget, years ago now, when the Klitschko's first started dominating the scene, Larry Merchant very astutely observed there was a shift occurring. And that "shift" had to do with the power base in the heavyweight division: it was going back to Europe and away from the "colonies".

This could be the secret to the whole mess, really. Boxing, by nature, has always been a demographic-oriented sport. That's why in it's hayday (pre-television era) local clubs would put on shows with the Irish fighter against the Italian, or the ***ish fighter featured in a predominantly ***ish neighborhood, etc. Even today a good Puerto Rican fighter taking on a good Mexican fighter is a guaranteed sellout. Who can forge the drama of the ring walk of Andrew Golota in Madison Square Garden as he approached Rid**** Bowe the first time......or the second time, for that matter?

Across the board, those, like myself, who feel this heavyweight crop isn't up to par are predominantly Americans who don't really have a dog in the fight at this point, while those who think it's among the better eras have plenty of fighters out there representing.

Interesting point. Props.

Comment

Originally posted by VG_Addict View Post
            He also got floored by ANOTHER featherfist in Pajkic.
            You cannot really say he has a weak chin since he hasn't been knocked out yet. Seems this thread is about rallying against Fury for some reason rather than having a sober discussion.

Comment

It's pretty weak but there's a few decent guys out there. Wlad and vit are obviously solid. Haye and povetkin are okay ... pulev is alright a couple of others but it doesn't have the depth of say the early 90s even.

Comment

The Klitz are here but the new crew is coming in now so we'll see how it works out! Hopefully their ALL active and fight each other! Thats the only way it can with stand the distain for the weight class!
                If the talent level isn't high its ok as long as they compete with one another!!
                Ray

Comment

Originally posted by K-DOGG View Post
                  You're from Germany, so, of course the heavyweight division is not going to be that bad from your perspective. In the states, right now, there's a tendency to latch on to any hope 'cause our heavies have been sucking wind since Evander passed his prime.

Across the board, those, like myself, who feel this heavyweight crop isn't up to par are predominantly Americans who don't really have a dog in the fight at this point, while those who think it's among the better eras have plenty of fighters out there representing.
                  This makes me wonder that if all the top welterweights were European and all the top cruiserweights were American if Cruiserweight would be considered the best division in boxing. I think it might...

Not complaining, US media should promote their own fighters. Just saying.
                  Last edited by Weebler I; 08-24-2013, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
                    The Klitz are here but the new crew is coming in now so we'll see how it works out! Hopefully their ALL active and fight each other! Thats the only way it can with stand the distain for the weight class!
                    If the talent level isn't high its ok as long as they compete with one another!!
                    Ray
                    This is exactly the key for when the Klitschko's retire. There's just the doubt whether it happens, since all of the contenders (i.e. their management) are so hesitant fighting each other, which is a huge part of why the situation sucks. Fighters are sitting around for too long.

Comment

I don't watch the HWs anymore. After Tyspn, Ruddock, Lewis, Bowe, Holyfield... I just don't give a fack about 6'7 overrated Ukrainians. Era is DRY as far as I am concerned. I like David Haye though but... This era ain't shet.

Comment

Working...
                      X