No announcement yet.

How would you rate this HW era?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Freedom2013 View Post
    100 years ago, many said Jack Johnson was only champion because it was a bad heavyweight era.

Nowadays, many say Wladimir Klitschko is only champion because it's a bad heavyweight era.

The world has changed 180 degrees, but prejudice still exists. It's just prejudice against different groups nowadays.
    As usual, you're playing the race card.

Comment

Counter question:

If the Klitschko's had been from America, had this HW era been considered stronger than it is portrayed by the (American) media?

Comment

In reality I think it's in-between, like a 6 or 7 out of 10.

However, the perception is that it's a 3/10, so for that reason it's heavily underrated.

Comment

Originally posted by K-DOGG View Post
          Not the worst, I don't think; but far from the best. I believe a lot of the problem, at least in the states, is that there isn't enough exposure of the current crop to accurately access their abilities and worth.

That being said, the moment someone decided it was better to be 250 lbs and abandon any subtleties of the game is when we started getting into trouble.

Case in point: Sam Peter...waaaay too fat. Always has been. A man of his height should weigh no more than 230. The more weight you add on, the more speed you lose; and you don't necessarily gain any power. Your stamina suffers, your foot speed suffers, your hand speed suffers, the fans suffer from watching you fight. It's a downward spiral.

I'm not necessarily picking on Peter. There's Arerola, Brewster (after he picked up Buddy McGirt....course he's long gone; but I'm making a point about bad beginnings), etc, etc, etc.

The game will pick up when some young fighter out there who has the want to, comes in the ring around 220 Lbs under the lights of major network exposure and kicks some giant's ass.

I don't harp on this too much 'cause I know I'm in the minority; but one of the reasons, outside of lack of exposure, that the division has the rep it has is simpley that most modern heavyweight are physically incapable of putting on a good show while fighting. They're too damn slow, too inactive when they're in the ring, and don't fight enough in a calendar year.

Nothing to watch........division suffers. What to watch is dull.......division suffers more. Simple.
          At lot of it undoubtedly has to do with exposure in the US. Wilder is hyped at the moment but has yet to have a real test.

Comment

Only era that may rival the current one is that of the 90's.

Other than that this is definitely the strongest era of all time.

The boxers are in general lb for lb faster

in general More athletic

more powerful

stronger

and trained and managed more effective than ever before.

Fury is better than Michael Grant and Haye would be a top opponent/belt holder in any era!

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom2013 View Post
              A boxer like Tyson Fury would not only be a contender in past eras, he would be the HW champion.

Primo Carnera

Even someone like Tye Fields who started boxing in his mid-20s could be a champion in past eras:

Jess Willard
              That has to be one of the ******est things you've ever said. And that's saying something.

Tell me how a slow, clumsy, china-chinned plodder like Fury would be champion in the 60s-70s.

That question also goes to Tommo.

Comment

I dare to say that people who claim this HW era to be the worst ever are Klitschko haters who want to discredit the brothers achievements.

Comment

Originally posted by VG_Addict View Post
                  That has to be one of the ******est things you've ever said. And that's saying something.

Tell me how a slow, clumsy, china-chinned plodder like Fury would be champion in the 60s-70s.
                  For a start, the heavyweight division of the past was basically the cruiserweight division today.

We just saw Fury knock a champion cruiser out cold. Fury is much bigger than those guys, and he's not slow, watch how mobile he is around the ring.

Comment

In the 60's he would be champ by knocking out Liston and beating up Clay.

In the 70's he would face stiff competition from Foreman and a more mature Ali but if Frazier and Norton managed to acquire a belt, Fury would have at some point!

Comment

Originally posted by The Weebler II View Post
                      For a start, the heavyweight division of the past was basically the cruiserweight division today.

We just saw Fury knock a champion cruiser out cold. Fury is much bigger than those guys, and he's not slow, watch how mobile he is around the ring.
                      Said Cruiser was featherfisted and STILL managed to floor Fury.

Also, Fury used his forearm as much as he used his fists.

Comment

Working...
                      X