No announcement yet.

5 keys to defeating Floyd Mayweather: A 17 year study

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BUNGALOWS View Post
    Lara's a southpaw with a pop, and size. P-Will was Sergio's leftover at that point.

What happened in the rematch? Besides, Quintana was also a southpaw that was willing to scrap on the inside.

Floyd is neither.

P-Will is a nightmare matchup for Floyd.
    They didn't beat Williams because of the southpaw stance, they beat him by moving and boxing. Floyd is a better mover than both. Williams looked good when his opponents either came forward or stood in front of him. If you don't do that, you can take his volume away. Sounds like you spent years convincing yourself that Williams was the bogeyman so now that his technical flaws got exposed you're still in denial.

Comment

By calling you a Floyd groupie, and saying he's your idol, I'm putting into context, why you would go so far to defend him, and make it clear that you would say things just to say them in order to prop him up, and make him look like a saint.

No dude, I answered waxfondler's question. Did you not see that?

I know what you meant, I just used the word marketing. Floyd's stock was at the highest it could EVER be when he fought Oscar prior to Hatton. He recorded his highest pay day. He could've even rematched Oscar for an even higher payday, and kept on fighting the tough guys at WW. Yet he chose to retire. The salary excuse doesn't apply here.

AGreed his stock was high. Agreed he could've fought more. But he and Haymon made the decision and it worked. If you wish to attribute it to something other than finances fine. ANswer waxfondler's question yourself.
      What does his have anything to do with after the Oscar and Hatton fight? They could've easily made crazy amounts of money for that fight, while both guys were red hot. Floyd took a vacation, so there was no chance for that. Remember this?

"Why don't you step in the ring with Cotto?

Floyd: "Because he lives in Puerto Rico."

Nuff said.

YOu have no idea what they could've made. All you know is what they did make when they fought. Clearly they both made much more than they would have so for you to say otherwise is ridiculous.

Yes I remember that. Do you remember everything else said or just this one piece? what happened to context?

#1. Manny agreed to the cutoffs in 2010. Another thing, the cutoffs had nothing to do with avoiding drug tests, they had everything to do with posturing and dictating who was the man in negotiations. What good is a cutoff date, when you cycle off PEDs well in advance of a month out of the fight. Use some common sense. It was all a ploy to make Manny look bad.

Unlimited testing before the fight, but cut off dates can't be agreed upon. Use your brain.

YOu are entitled to your opinion but dont change course. WHat you posted wasn't true and left out other salient facts.

Floyd announced his retirement after the Hatton fight. Larry Merchant even asked him about Cotto, it didn't matter, he was retired and wasn't trying to think about boxing. He just happens to come back 2 years later, fresh and new, like nothing happened. If that wasn't obvious, then I don't know what is.

You have to be aware that Floyd took a 2 year vacation. We're talking about the period in his vacation when the WWs were fighting each other while Floyd was juicing up, and watching them all beat each other.

As I said in the 1st post, which somehow you missed, his retiremen was not totally about injuries. He had an alterior motive. You don't agree with what I said was the alterior motive.

It seems like you'd defend Floyd to the death.

Responding to your posts with facts and not agreeing with your opinion is not defending floyd to the death.
      NOw I've answered your questions. But its clear when you post things like floyd groupie or floyd was juicing up that its clear why you are responding to my post.

Comment

Originally posted by Arakawa Dunn View Post
        just ask yourself WHY would floyd retire temporarily??? then come back and bring up a 135-er to 147 simply to boast he beat #2 p4p guy but on suspect circumstances... people talk about context, that was a PERFECT example.

2 main reasons.

1. The hand injuries, although I think he could've come back in 6 months at worst.
        2. The larger reason was FLoyd and his team realized that boxing had become about personality driven ppv sales. The wagered that by limiting his appearances he could command a high salary.

It was also clear that all the people he begged to fight pre ODH that turned him down now suddenly were chomping at the bit to fight him for the huge payday. So he pulled a Sugar Ray Leonard and chilled. IMO it was completly financially driven.

Obviously the JMM comeback was because JMM had a cloe fight with Pac. WHile hardcore fans know triangle theories don't work, casual fans believe strongly if A beats B and B beats C that A will beat C.
        indeed. we all knew it was business moves. thats why i believe he sidestepped a few fighters because the risk was just too high. theres nothing wrong with that, all elite fighters have to make those decisions. he decided to wait for the dust to settle and pick up the crumbs.

while floyd was doing WWE & dancing with the stars, fighters were FIGHTING. you cant really blame fans for turning on floyd, the same way we cant really blame floyd for investing time in marketing. theres no debate, team mayweather formulated the perfect strategy. why put his health at risk to fight 2-3 times a year (adding wear & tear, possibly a loss), when he can fight 1 time and focus on marketing and make more money.

Comment

Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
          They didn't beat Williams because of the southpaw stance, they beat him by moving and boxing. Floyd is a better mover than both. Williams looked good when his opponents either came forward or stood in front of him. If you don't do that, you can take his volume away. Sounds like you spent years convincing yourself that Williams was the bogeyman so now that his technical flaws got exposed you're still in denial.
          1. Their southpaw stance had a ton to do with beating Paul. He was susceptible to the straight left. Something Sergio and Quintana taught Laura.

2. Floyd isn't a southpaw that is willing to **** on the inside to beat Paul. That's why they beat him.

3. I didn't have to convince myself of anything. The hardcore boxing fans always said Paul would beat Floyd, and it was a bad matchup for Floyd.

So, now that Sergio KO'd him, someone that Floyd fights nothing like, and Lara "beat" him, after the Sergio fight, so Paul was Sergio's leftovers, now I'm supposed to believe Floyd would beat Paul?

I didn't add Quintana, because Paul disposed of him like he should've in the 1st fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Arakawa Dunn View Post
            NOw I've answered your questions. But its clear when you post things like floyd groupie or floyd was juicing up that its clear why you are responding to my post.
            My man, don't come off like you're not a Floyd groupie.

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=607891

You're getting embarrassed in this thread, and you're only further exposing yourself as a Floyd groupie.

Comment

Only the only advantage Paul Williams has over Floyd is height and reach and since 95% he gave up those advantages what else did he do better than Floyd.

Comment

So basically, be Roberto Duran.
                ***n perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by waxfondler View Post
                  indeed. we all knew it was business moves. thats why i believe he sidestepped a few fighters because the risk was just too high. theres nothing wrong with that, all elite fighters have to make those decisions. he decided to wait for the dust to settle and pick up the crumbs.

while floyd was doing WWE & dancing with the stars, fighters were FIGHTING. you cant really blame fans for turning on floyd, the same way we cant really blame floyd for investing time in marketing. theres no debate, team mayweather formulated the perfect strategy. why put his health at risk to fight 2-3 times a year (adding wear & tear, possibly a loss), when he can fight 1 time and focus on marketing and make more money.
                  See the thing is those guys sidestepped him only to come calling when it was in their best financial interest. he didn't pick up the crumbs, he did excatly what SRL did-he fought the last guy standing. Only difference is floyd didn't rent out an arena and invite Hagler there to pretnd he was announcing the mega fight. but thats for another debate.

Floyd capitalized on his newfound marketability. yeah he did WWE and AT&T and DWTS. SHould he have turned them down?

The wear and tear argument is fair, the SRL argument-fighting once a year after turning 30-seems more applicable. I'm a floyd fan so of course we see it differently. But its also clear there is a precedent/blueprint floyd and haymon seem to be following.

Comment

Originally posted by dc3383 View Post
                    Only the only advantage Paul Williams has over Floyd is height and reach and since 95% he gave up those advantages what else did he do better than Floyd.
                    Sit down with your Floyd lickin self. You only say that because Paul throws a lot of shots.

His pressure is a tall man's pressure, with punches coming down to his opponents.

Even when he's pressuring you, hios distance is still far enough where there's good separation, and it's still gonna be uncomfortable for you.

We're not talking about Brandon Rios here.

You keep thinking about the Sergio fight, because Sergio brought that dog out of him. It was an ego match.

Nightmare matchup for Floyd.

Comment

My man, don't come off like you're not a Floyd groupie.

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=607891

You're getting embarrassed in this thread, and you're only further exposing yourself as a Floyd groupie.
                      Calling me a floyd groupie doesn't change the substance of my posts. If you had facts you would use them.

Comment

Working...
                      X