Holy Crap! Anyone Remember David Reid? What a sad story

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by emurgencee View Post
    Will do bro. @ GR Boxing.
    Thanks...does he ever mess about on the internet or twitter or anything? He should write a book.

Comment

That loss to Felix Trinidad must've really broken his spirit.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
        You don't have to be a psychologist to see that David is mentally ill. How ill I'm not qualified to say, but it seems evident that he's in a pretty bad state. And you don't have to be a doctor to guess that Reid's boxing career might've had something to do with his present mental condition. It's not very likely that David is capable of making sound decisions.

Reid probably didn't earn nearly as much in his short career as many people think. Even if he did, it's pretty heartless to imply that he deserves to be where he is today.
        The man had a multi-million dollar HBO contract when he came away from the am games into the pros. he used that money up. Even earning a million is damn enough for anyone with sense on how to look after his money. Obviously young star athletes can be taken advantage of, it probably happened, but this guy had a great chance of improving his life, he let it slip.

I'm sure he does have mental health issues but surely the United States has a social care system for people such as him. Maybe his family and friends should get involved, maybe someone near where he lives.

I feel sorry for him, I do but I'm not gona go fight his battles. There are countless millions around the world who never even had the chance to earn millions, they never had the chance to make something of themselves, those are the type of people I'd like to do something about. Not former superstar athletes.

ANy this is irrelevant and this story doesn't concern me all that much. If anyone on this forum wants to go help him then by all means do it. Sitting behind a keyboard and talking about it doesn't help him or you.

Comment

Originally posted by champion4ever View Post
          That loss to Felix Trinidad must've really broken his spirit.
          And his promotional company basically dumped him after that

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
            Sad story, indeed. David is clearly suffering from mental illness.
            Seems more like Chronic traumatic encephalopathy, a degenerative brain disease.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
              The man had a multi-million dollar HBO contract when he came away from the am games into the pros. he used that money up. Even earning a million is damn enough for anyone with sense on how to look after his money. Obviously young star athletes can be taken advantage of, it probably happened, but this guy had a great chance of improving his life, he let it slip.

I'm sure he does have mental health issues but surely the United States has a social care system for people such as him. Maybe his family and friends should get involved, maybe someone near where he lives.

I feel sorry for him, I do but I'm not gona go fight his battles. There are countless millions around the world who never even had the chance to earn millions, they never had the chance to make something of themselves, those are the type of people I'd like to do something about. Not former superstar athletes.

ANy this is irrelevant and this story doesn't concern me all that much. If anyone on this forum wants to go help him then by all means do it. Sitting behind a keyboard and talking about it doesn't help him or you.
              How many times are you gonna mention that he mad millions? The whole point if the article went right over your head. This article is about a champs fall from grace, mental illness, self exile and depression which are all probably a result of boxing. It has nothing to do with money, it won't solve his mental illness.

Comment

Originally posted by GRboxing View Post
                And his promotional company basically dumped him after that
                Yes indeed; He was being promoted by Main Events. Not only that, he suffered a detached retina in that Trinidad fight also, which was never surgically repaired and now I believe he has permanent vision loss in that eye because of it. How can a detached retina go undetected in a sport like boxing and how can a boxer pass a physical examination with compromised vision?

Comment

The man had a multi-million dollar HBO contract when he came away from the am games into the pros. he used that money up. Even earning a million is damn enough for anyone with sense on how to look after his money. Obviously young star athletes can be taken advantage of, it probably happened, but this guy had a great chance of improving his life, he let it slip. \
                  Okay, no.

Dude has to give a big piece to his promoter. Then take care of everyone (manager, trainers, his team) with the piece he has left. Not to mention those that took care of him on his way up, training expenses, etc.

THEN he has to pay taxes on the entire purse, even though he gave roughly half of it away already.

Dude didn't just have millions sitting around that he blew through randomly. More money more problems.

Comment

You're acting like the dude was some rich millionaire. No. He was a young upstart and made at most probably a million after paying everyone.

Even then, it's not about the money. How many times does someone need to tell you money can't buy happiness?

Comment

Originally posted by junior gong View Post
                      This is a truly idiotic post, completely disrespectful to the sport and to its participants. You wanna make a point about how much you love froidpureboxerdrainducker, why dont you just do it in WSHH or FLoydhype.
                      It's idiotic to you, because you are too simple minded to appreciate real boxing. Please explain where I disrepected the sport or it's participants? (This coming from a guy who uses the term "coward","duck", "runner" in reference fighters in almost every post!) I'm sure you would give much more respect to two guys fighting in an alley, then guys who actually put in the time perfecting their offense AND DEFENSE and actiually learning the art of boxing. I love a good toe to toe fight as well, but I am certainly not going to knock fighters for knowing how to keep from ending up like David Reid.

I used Floyds name because he is one of the fighters called "boring" by many as well as the fact that his quote fit the sentiment I was trying to get across.

You can go back to the Pub and watch real boxing now!

Comment

Working...
                      X