No announcement yet.

Props to the management at HBO for putting on better matchups now

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Props to the management at HBO for putting on better matchups now

That was a thoroughly enjoyable tripleheader last night!

Since Ross Greenberg and his right-hand man Kery Davis (a lifelong friend of Al Haymon) left HBO and were replaced, HBO has been stepping up to a better quality of matchups.

Before, we'd see mediocre Haymon-managed boxers like Andre Berto and Seth Mitchell fighting journeymen. There is no way they would show very good matchups like Barker-Geale and Cleverly-Kovalev.

Now, we are seeing some of the most talented and exciting boxers from around the world.

It's important to the sport of boxing that HBO has now stepped up their game and are now putting on the matchups we all can enjoy.

It's been a hell of a year for both networks. The battle between showtime and HBO has definitely been good for fight fans to actually see some really good matches. I still hope in the near future that TR and GBP can finally make a peace treaty and allow their stables to fight each other.

Comment

Yep. I've said it since the day it happened- HBO kicking GBP off their network was the best possible thing that could of happened to HBO

Comment

Only Americans are willing to put on top notch (including the ref and judges) competitive fights featuring foreign fighters.

The foreign networks and fans are way too xenophobic to ever extend the same treatment to American fighters.

Comment

good thread, you are right Greenberg was the strong to positive correlation of hating Euro fighters, he buggered off and low and behold the American public get to see some real alpha males.

Comment

HBO had to do something. They were getting creamed. Too bad it took this long too live up to the hype. In all actuality I thank Showtime for forcing hbo to put on better cards.

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom2013
              Nonsense.

All the big fights in the USA are covered by Russia 1 or Russia 2, and have been for many years.

Most US title fights are covered by either BoxNation or Sky Sports in the UK, and many by PolSat or Orange TV in Poland.

that's very different from picking the fight up and being the lead broadcaster, the way HBO did last night. what HBO did, putting on two foreigners in a main event who don't fight out of america and have american fanbases, is risky. it's pretty rare.

i don't have a problem with it, and i think they'll do it again if the money is good. last night was a good card.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitman932 View Post
                Only Americans are willing to put on top notch (including the ref and judges) competitive fights featuring foreign fighters.

The foreign networks and fans are way too xenophobic to ever extend the same treatment to American fighters.
                Nonsense.

All the big fights in the USA are covered by either Russia 1 or Russia 2, and have been for many years.

Most US title fights are covered by either BoxNation or Sky Sports in the UK, and many by PolSat or Orange TV in Poland.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitman932 View Post

I disagree. How many American fighters actually go over seas to fight for a European promoter? They can't pop up out of thin air.

The guys who do decide to go get treated well. Steve cunnigham was an American world champion who fought multiple times in Germany.

I just don't think enough Americans are willing to travel to Europe for example as Europeans are willing to travel to America. Due to the biggest boxing networks and promoters being in America. The Americans who have and who come overseas In the future will get treated well IMO
                  Last edited by King_; 08-18-2013, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Showtimes doing it on a grander scale right now. Filling up big arenas like the MGM and Barclays center. Probably because GBP has most of the great young American talent. And they have 140 to 154 on lock. Last night was a good night but the Boardwalk Hall is like fighting in my back yard. Not the same as putting 18000 in the Barclays.

Comment

Working...
                    X