Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Professional 6 rounder bouts, are you fcking serious?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They should make Lara and Rigo fight 6 round championship bouts, especially before a big card, people don't want to fall asleep 15min into the main event

Comment

Originally posted by ElMeroChingon View Post
      They should make Lara and Rigo fight 6 round championship bouts, especially before a big card, people don't want to fall asleep 15min into the main event
      I've covered a couple UFC cards, and those shows just zoom by and the crowd stays energetic, because no preliminary fight is going to last longer than 15 minutes total.

Meanwhile, when I covered Peterson-Matthysse earlier this year, the undercard started at 3 p.m. and the main event went on sometime around 11 p.m.

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
        Who are you to judge how special he is? He won 3 olympic medals and 2 golds, and is very special to China as was Leonard. HBO picked it up, so what? It didnt take away from any boxing event or anything. It was either televise that or have no boxing. If you are mad that you pay for HBO, then drop HBO, its simple. But thats not the problem, youre just on you're usual Arum/Top Rank hatred tirade. Thats basically all your posts consist of
        got me there. Haha!

Comment

Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
          Here's the funny part. He keeps whining about it somehow preventing better fights from appearing on his TV, despite the facts, but when there's a beautiful fight like Estrada Viloria on the undercard of the same event, he doesn't even bother to turn it on. I bet he passed up on that quality Estrada Melindo matchup, just to come here and whine about Shiming.
          we actualy spoke about this fight. Good fight but Melindo got his arse handed to him and biased HBO crew tried to make it seem closer.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. David View Post
            I've covered a couple UFC cards, and those shows just zoom by and the crowd stays energetic, because no preliminary fight is going to last longer than 15 minutes total.

Meanwhile, when I covered Peterson-Matthysse earlier this year, the undercard started at 3 p.m. and the main event went on sometime around 11 p.m.
            Felt like that at the Garcia-Morales 2 card. Fights started at like 5:30 and so many of them went the distance and the last 3 fights before the main event were all full 12 rounders which included Bailey-Devon. It killed the crowd

Comment

Originally posted by Fetta View Post
              we actualy spoke about this fight. Good fight but Melindo got his arse handed to him and biased HBO crew tried to make it seem closer.
              Who are they biased for, Melindo? That makes no sense, estrada is the obvious upside in this fight

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. David View Post
                Did you see the fight between Genesis Servania and Konosuke Tomiyama? I hadn't seen them before and thought, going by records alone, that it was going to be a dreary distance fight. What a scrap that turned out to be.
                No i was hoping to see it, but that was the one fight not shown on UniMas. The stuff they showed was good but definitely cooldown material off that great Showtime card.

Comment

Who are they biased for, Melindo? That makes no sense, estrada is the obvious upside in this fight
                  Also, they weren't an HBO crew so much as they were a Top Rank crew, though all three — Ryan, Foreman and Merchant — are longtime pros that I don't believe would carry water for the promoter.

Here's Dan Rafael's report back before the first Macau card:

Top Rank is producing the show and responsible for hiring the on-air talent, but it made a deal with HBO to carry the card in the United States on its HBO2 service beginning at 2 p.m. ET/PT (on about a 4½-hour delay in the East and 7½-hour delay in the West), meaning Merchant and Foreman -- whose call will also serve as the English-language international broadcast -- will be reunited on HBO. Tim Ryan, who called fights for many years on CBS, will serve as the blow-by-blow man on the broadcast.

It will be something of a reunion between Merchant and Ryan, too. Merchant told me that the first fight card he ever called, on NBC in 1976 in Paris, was with Ryan as his partner. It featured a middleweight title fight between Rodrigo Valdez and Nessim Max Cohen and a heavyweight fight between Earnie Shavers and Henry Clark.

"Larry and George are like Abbot and Costello, they work so well together," Top Rank president Todd duBoef said. "You include Tim and there is nobody better to represent our boxing brand in the biggest, fastest growing market in the world."

Comment

Rewatch fight and tell me they werent.

Comment

Originally posted by boxingbrain28 View Post
                      De La Hoya headlined his first pro fight as well and guess what it was a 6 rounder, Amir khan was another guy who was in the main event for his first fight, that was a four rounder. Those were all big events
                      DLH and Khans pro debut is not as big and overhyped as zhimings 4 rounder bout... and i dont recall them drawing 300 million+ viewers.

plus this is not his debut, smart guy.

Comment

Working...
                      X