Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was Mayweather forced to fight Alvarez?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Floyd was forced to fight Canelo but only in the sense that there was nobody else for him to fight that he could reasonably make money on besides Pacquiao.

At welterweight GBP has Devon Alexander and Amir Khan that they could have tried selling as opponents for Floyd. But Alexander hasn't really gotten a signature win at WW that would "earn" him the fight and he's been booed in almost all of his recent fights since his Bradley loss. Khan looked terrible earlier this year and he'd be a tough sell as "the most competitive fight for Floyd." Neither of these guys would do better numbers than Guerrero, maybe Khan would match that fight.

Alvarez is the only guy that GBP had to throw in with Floyd, the only guy that fans would want to see him fight after that one-sided Guerrero match. No other fight would make them a profit right now. I don't believe Floyd was literally forced into taking the Canelo fight but rather that given his options Canelo was the only really viable choice.

Comment

I voted yes although I don't think it was "forced". The pressure was on after RG numbers which I think would have made Floyd consider what seems a "harder" fight. In all truth I just can't get overly hyped for this fight. Although I really like Alvarez I don't consider him unbeaten by any means. He kind of plods in and his output in low, ideal for even this less nimble on his feet Floyd. Take him down that extra couple of pounds, have the usual ref breaking the second Alvarez gets within 2 feet of Floyd and it's pretty much the same old as far as I'm concerned.

As always I'll be delighted if I'm wrong. Not that I'm hating on Floyd or anything, love his skills but he is not the sort of character that should personify the sport.

Comment

The 147 is weak on the GB side, they won't fight TR guys, so Canelo is the only sensible money fight for Floyd, so by default he has to fight Canelo.

Comment

Yes. There's really nobody for him to fight he basically cleaned out the division at 147 Amir has only had 1 fight at 147 and it was crap.
          Alexander has no name yet. And Bradley and PAC are with top rank and who gives a **** about Berto.

There's no names he can pull outta his hat anymore and him being exclusive to show time means he can really only fight golden boy fighters and Canelo is really the only pick left sure there's trout and Lara but ones coming off a loss and even with Lara Prbly ending Angelo's career he doesn't have a big enough name and he's already beat cotto so what's left really? That will sell?

Comment

Originally posted by boxingfeind View Post
            Shortly after Floyd signed to fight Guerrero,Floyd told Canelo he would fight him next.Canelo didn`t believe him so he asked Floyd to sign a contract promising to fight him next or else he would pull out the under card. Floyd told GTFOH you clown,who is your red headed a$$ to be giving me ultimatums. Then Canelo pulled out the under card and started running around claiming Floyd is ducking him.Then the Mayweather haters ran with it claiming that Floyd is ducking Canelo.Now they look stupid and moved on to "Floyd is ducking Golovkin".Its only a matter time til they resort to saying "Floyd is ducking Klitschko".
            Well put....... exactly what I've been saying! An they say Mayweather fans have low IQ's lol!

Comment

Originally posted by The Ninth Layer View Post
              Floyd was forced to fight Canelo but only in the sense that there was nobody else for him to fight that he could reasonably make money on besides Pacquiao.

At welterweight GBP has Devon Alexander and Amir Khan that they could have tried selling as opponents for Floyd. But Alexander hasn't really gotten a signature win at WW that would "earn" him the fight and he's been booed in almost all of his recent fights since his Bradley loss. Khan looked terrible earlier this year and he'd be a tough sell as "the most competitive fight for Floyd." Neither of these guys would do better numbers than Guerrero, maybe Khan would match that fight.

Alvarez is the only guy that GBP had to throw in with Floyd, the only guy that fans would want to see him fight after that one-sided Guerrero match. No other fight would make them a profit right now. I don't believe Floyd was literally forced into taking the Canelo fight but rather that given his options Canelo was the only really viable choice.
              Beat me to it.

Comment

You forgot that lucrative contract he signed with Showtime.... they didn't want no ducking lmao.

Comment

Originally posted by dudeiknow View Post
                  Mayweather Vs Guerrero went on to do horrible numbers, and Showtime said "oh hell NO you arent going to play us like you did HBO..you fighting Canelo next whether you like it or not b1tch we paying you u better make us some money get yo ass out there hoe" Floyd had no choice but to fight Avarez he had been trapped into a corner and he would have no excuse to duck canelo since showtime hyped the fight during the post interview for may/guerrero and its a fight everyone wanted to see and it made sense and canelo had been chasing him for a long time and earned it after beating trout... so floyd got pissed and made alvarez drop 2 extra pounds below weight out of spite and now he cant even take his shades off because he says he has vampire eyes which is a result of him losing sleep cause showtime is feeding him to the wolves and he knows his days are numbered as being on top

Comment

Originally posted by Flash13 View Post
                    Floyd showed his true colors in may when he thought he could fight anyone and do 1.2 million buys. For the record I don't think canelo has a shot; poor footwork and no volume or stamina. I was shocked floyd ducked him in may.
                    When did Floyd duck him? He's fighting him bro!

Comment

The fight was always going to happen. Canelo is a big draw, mexican, promoted by Golden Boy and is fighting at 154 where Floyd fought a couple times. Anybody who knows a little about the boxing business could have seen that fight coming 2-3 yrs ago.

Comment

Working...
                      X