Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was Mayweather forced to fight Alvarez?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some people tend to oversee Mayweather's intelligence. Floyd knows how to play the game, pure boxing skills alone haven't made him the P4P king. Floyd is as opportunistic as a fox. He has chosen his battles wisely, he makes a move when needed (DLH, Hatton, Cotto, Mosley), avoids temptations or plays out of them swiftly (i.e Pacquiao, Prime Cotto, Prime Williams).

The only time Floyd took a risk he almost lost (Castillo) Top Ranks fault. After that, Floyd learned his lesson. The Canelo Alvarez fight is nothing different. Canelo been looking forward to Floyd for a while like many other fighters have done so. As Canelo was steam rolling class C competition and over the hill champs, Floyd had no interest. (You never know how good Canelo may be). That's until he fought his first real test in Ausin Trout. Many of us know that Canelo didn't look to good besides his power. He presented stamina issues, could be outboxed in spurts and doesn't have a good defense down the stretch of the fight.

That being said, the fight is a no brainier for Floyd. Canelo is a young rising star, who could only get better or maybe lose if matched incorrectly. Still he has developed a strong fan base, could bring in numbers (specially in a Mexican holiday) and is not yet the threat GBP has made him to be. If Floyd had left this opportunity pass by he could have risked Canelo getting better or losing.

In the end, Floyd played his cards well once again and has already won.

Comment

Based on the fact that Canelo tried to get a guarantee prior to the Ghost fight and Mayweather told him to GTFOH. I would have to say yes. Mayweather doesn't seem like the type to let Canelo get a pay day despite him pulling out of the Ghost PPV. Just doesn't fit his MO.

The fact that the fight was contracted at 152 lbs. further adds to the suspicion that Mayweather isn't supremely confident fighting the younger Alvarez.

I personally think Mayweather is going to give this kid a boxing lesson but I don't believe Canelo would have been his first choice after Robert. I think Mayweather was going to feast on lesser fighters and wait to fight Alvarez at the end of the 6 fight deal.
      Last edited by Shad0wB0xer; 06-30-2013, 10:27 PM.

Comment

i wouldnt be surprised if Floyd gets injured in sparring ! :WORD:

Comment

Of course he was. Showtime wasnt going to and couldnt afford another flop like the guererro fight. Floyd would have fought Alexander if he could have gotten away with it, but showtime were having none of that.

Comment

lol I think he genuionly just wanted to embaress Canelo's fan base

Comment

Originally posted by junior gong View Post
              Of course he was. Showtime wasnt going to and couldnt afford another flop like the guererro fight. Floyd would have fought Alexander if he could have gotten away with it, but showtime were having none of that.
              ^^^^ very true

if mayweather cherry picks his next opponent again most probably showtime will file for bankruptcy and go out of business.

Comment

this is all about MONEY Showtime was not going to let Floyd have his way. anybody who thinks otherwise is a moron

Comment

Originally posted by Flash13 View Post
                  No floyd did not tell canelo he would fight him next actually the opposite. Canelo was tired of "empty" promises so he wanted it in writing... Floyd refused so canelo was not on the Guerrero undercard. Then showtime lost 12m and yes in every sense of the word showtime "persuaded" floyd to take canelo.

Gb yes but floyd no. Floyd wanted to use canelo to boost his ppv numbers throwin him empty promises that he would fight him eventually. Canelo got wise to the act and floyd showed his true colors.
                  Yea he showed his true colors, in signing a contract to fight him huh? LOL. You all made this fuss about whether he would fight him or not, and this whole time I been saying he was a bum with speed and power. Canelo is a 4 round fighter. Just another Zab Judah. Floyd been planning on fighting this dude for the past several years, he has never been a threat, and never been on a Pacman level. He's a bum, period.

Comment

This fight is the end for Floyd.

Comment

Originally posted by MurkaMan View Post
                      Yea he showed his true colors, in signing a contract to fight him huh? LOL. You all made this fuss about whether he would fight him or not, and this whole time I been saying he was a bum with speed and power. Canelo is a 4 round fighter. Just another Zab Judah. Floyd been planning on fighting this dude for the past several years, he has never been a threat, and never been on a Pacman level. He's a bum, period.
                      Floyd showed his true colors in may when he thought he could fight anyone and do 1.2 million buys. For the record I don't think canelo has a shot; poor footwork and no volume or stamina. I was shocked floyd ducked him in may.

Comment

Working...
                      X