Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: “Fighting Words” — How Much Credit Does Broner Deserve?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hitking View Post
    This is an understandable stance, but it still doesn't mean Paulie won. Boxing fans have a tendacy to believe that when an underdog performs better than expected it means he won the fight.
    I agree, too many "robberies". IMO the very best Paulie could get was a draw, and that'd be very generous. But, I think this is pretty much his best case scenario, he won the event lol.

Comment

Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
      I agree, too many "robberies". IMO the very best Paulie could get was a draw, and that'd be very generous. But, I think this is pretty much his best case scenario, he won the event lol.
      Honestly, there's really nobody screaming robbery outside of the diehard Broner haters. I've read nothing from any of the boxing writers that thought Paulie won. And most had Broner winning 116-112 or 117-111. Like you basically said, there were enough competitive rounds (I won't say close rounds because to me, Broner landed the clearer, more effect punches in every round) that if you you were rooting really hard for Broner to lose, you could have a very close scorecard. But the reality is, AB won a comfortable UD. Very similar to the Floyd-Cotto fight.

Comment

Honestly, there's really nobody screaming robbery outside of the diehard Broner haters. I've read nothing from any of the boxing writers that thought Paulie won. And most had Broner winning 116-112 or 117-111. Like you basically said, there were enough competitive rounds (I won't say close rounds because to me, Broner landed the clearer, more effect punches in every round) that if you you were rooting really hard for Broner to lose, you could have a very close scorecard. But the reality is, AB won a comfortable UD. Very similar to the Floyd-Cotto fight.
        Don't ever compare Cotto to Paulie two completely different fighters in every way.

Even though you didn't say this but just so you know prime Cotto that fought a prime Paulie (and gave him the beating Broner promised but couldn't deliver) would have broke Broners ribs.
        Last edited by torosboxing75; 06-24-2013, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by torosboxing75 View Post
          Don't ever compare Cotto to Paulie two completely different fighters in every way.

Even though you didn't say this but just so you know prime Cotto that fought a prime Paulie (and gave him the beating Broner promised but couldn't deliver) would have broke Broners ribs.
          Are you illiterate homie? I compared the Broner-paulie FIGHT to the Floyd-Cotto FIGHT. You know, where an underdog performs better than expected, but is soundly beaten by a disliked favorite. Therefore the favorite's haters cry robbery.

Comment

credit for getting schooled by past prime paulie

Comment

Not much, he is still unproven, it takes a STRONG BODY OF WORK to become PROVEN not just one fukin fight finally against a decent opponent.

Comment

So are you saying Paulie was landing meaningful connects with regularity?
                Define "meaningful"? In doing so you'll fall into the realm of subjectivity. When is a scoring shot not a scoring shot...when it's thrown to the body by Paulie Malignaggi appears to be the answer of some.

Anyhow, Malignaggi was landing all night, not necessarily hurting Broner (only he can tell you that), but imo they were scoring shots regardless.

Again I didn't have Paulie winning (scored it a draw) but could see a case for him winning depending upon how you score a fight. I lean more towards Broner winning and it was no robbery although Broner is fortunate to once again get the close rounds in an opponent's backyard.

Comment

Originally posted by The Weebler II View Post
                  Define "meaningful"? In doing so you'll fall into the realm of subjectivity. When is a scoring shot not a scoring shot...when it's thrown to the body by Paulie Malignaggi appears to be the answer of some.

Anyhow, Malignaggi was landing all night, not necessarily hurting Broner (only he can tell you that), but imo they were scoring shots regardless.

Again I didn't have Paulie winning (scored it a draw) but could see a case for him winning depending upon how you score a fight. I lean more towards Broner winning and it was no robbery although Broner is fortunate to once again get the close rounds in an opponent's backyard.
                  I've watched the fight twice now and I've scored it 116-112 and that was giving Paulie a couple rounds that I honestly don't feel he won. A lot of the shots he "landed" to the head Broner was rolling with creating glancing blows. And a lot of the body work Paulie did to the body was jabbing to the chest. In every single round, Broner landed the cleaner punches. And the competitive rounds were competitive because Broner's workrate was too low, some of the crdit to that goes to Paulie of course. Personally, I'm a clean effective punching kinda guy. I don't get too excited about a guy throwing a lotta shoe shine punches and missing most of them. But that's me. If one is impressed with that, yeah, you could have a close scorecard. But if a score on clean effective punching, ring generalship, and defense, the fight really wasn't that close.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dunn View Post
                    broner deserves as much credit as cotto, hatton, and khan did.

why is this even being discussed.
                    this is how biased you are... why you giving the same credit to a guy who struggle to a faded fighter compare to those guys who fought and finished the guy in his prime?

Comment

Originally posted by tyotfo View Post
                      Anyone who had Broner on their pound for pound lists can now remove him.
                      Not so fast buddy... Give Malignaggi credit! If Broner looked sub par you can credit Malignaggi for that! He did not fight like the 11-1 underdog that he was. Most fighters fight like they're expected to when the odds are against them but Paulie showed up to fight and kept a lot of Broner's offense at bay. Were it not for Paulie's work rate and determination he probably would have been stopped early.

I marvel at how everyone speaks poorly of Broner's performance as if Paulie laid down the entire fight. Broner had a "live dog" in front of him who actually came to fight, something we have not seen from Broner's previous opponents except Ponce De Leon. Unlike Broner's previous opponents, Paulie wasn't flat footed, slow and intimidated. Broner will be just fine. I really hope he does fight Maidana next as many people here are calling for this match up. Maidana IS slow, flat footed and MUCH easier to hit. This will shut the mouths of the nay sayers :-)

Having said all of this I'm not convinced that Broner did enough to take Malignaggi's title. The fight should have been a draw at best.

Comment

Working...
                      X