Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

whos face the better competition, nathan cleverly or Sergey kovalov?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by slimshandy69 View Post
    im starting to agree. Just watched Clevs last fight against Robert, and he looks so big in there. Sure hes not disposing guys like Sergey is, but hes got a very good chin, very well conditioned, if Sergey doesn't knock clev ot, clev wins a comfortable decision for me.
    That was my take as well. Cleverly is very very busy, in the Calzaghe mould. People used to say the same about Calzaghe as they are now with Cleverly, and this does remind abit of the Lacy-Calzaghe situation.

Originally posted by HWChampion View Post
    What one must remember that kovalev isn't just a ko artist. You don't win 190 odd amateur fights without being able to box on a high level. The only reason kovalev hasn't had to box because his power has been too much. That shows how good he is, jut wait until kovalev shows his true boxing ability with that power is a recipe for a P4P fighter.

Kovalev doesn't lose this fight unless robbed. He will box cleverly knock him down a few times and win comfortably.
    Lots of 'punchers' have great amateur records and experience. That certainly doesn't mean they are unbeatable. And even though he had a good amount of amateur fights, didn't he fight mainly at domestic and European level? Regardless, he has a very good style for the Pro game, because he's a devastating puncher. But I don't see how he can win on points against Cleverly who threw 1000 punches in his last fight.

And getting robbed? I don't know where this is coming from, I don't think fights in Britain are known to be crooked. The only title fight I can think of in recent times was Dirrell-Froch and no matter how you look at that fight, it was close.

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
      Kovalev has beaten a good contender, Boone, a couple of times and has KOd Campillo who's a good fighter, but was coming off a loss.
      actually campillo was coming off a win...anyone who actually saw the cloud fight would tell u...kovalev's destruction of campillo gives him the edge imho

cleverly's best win is bellew and bellew's greatest effort was in this fight...he hasn't impressed me since

Comment

Originally posted by Arsene Knows View Post
        Most guys back up against him. No one has really ever tried to stake the centre of the ring and try to back him up. I have my doubts about his ability to fight going backwards.
        The reason they back up is because they get hit with absolute bombs. I don't even think Bhop would be able to control the centre of the ring. But it will be interesting to see how kovalev fights being backed up. But like I said 190 + wins I think he will posses the ability to fight going backwards.

Comment

Agreed being from the UK I want cleverly to win but I'm a fan of kovalev. I think cleverly will lose, but will put up a fight to the point that fans will give him his dues for giving kovalev a tough time. And major props to for taking on a fighter Bhop avoided like the Black Plague. I hope for the best for these two fighters.
          I love kovalev. But how good ishe on the inside. Clev is very good where sergey avoids it like the plague?

Hows is his conditioning?

Chin?

Is sergey is 3-1 or more im betting on him due to pot odds, but as a completely neutral, I feel clev is just such a physical beast.

Comment

The reason they back up is because they get hit with absolute bombs. I don't even think Bhop would be able to control the centre of the ring. But it will be interesting to see how kovalev fights being backed up. But like I said 190 + wins I think he will posses the ability to fight going backwards.
            Exactly, The opposite is more likely to happen and that is kovalev making Cleverly back up. It really is an interesting match up because of the styles of the two fighters.

One thing that concerns me about kovalev is that we don't know how good his stamina is, The Russian last night looked good until he shot his load for example. I know Clev has great Stamina

I agree with Arsene (who really should win some silverware next season, or its starting to become a joke) That Cleverly's best chance of winning is Backing kovalev up but its a lot easier said than done.

Call me a pessimist, but i still have my doubts this fight will happen, seems to good to be true for a Fish eyes promoted fighter. remember kovalev isn't even mandatory.

Comment

. The only title fight I can think of in recent times was Dirrell-Froch and no matter how you look at that fight, it was close.
              wastn even close, 4 rounds to froch fro outlanding dirrell, landing the better shots, utput, ring generalship and dirrell should have been deducted more than one point for illegal clinching and ducking below waist line exposing back of the head.

Urban myth that it was even close.

Comment

Originally posted by slimshandy69 View Post
                wastn even close, 4 rounds to froch fro outlanding dirrell, landing the better shots, utput, ring generalship and dirrell should have been deducted more than one point for illegal clinching and ducking below waist line exposing back of the head.

Urban myth that it was even close.
                I agree that Froch won, but one thing is for Certain and that is the fight was terrible and would be a torture to re watch.

Comment

That was my take as well. Cleverly is very very busy, in the Calzaghe mould. People used to say the same about Calzaghe as they are now with Cleverly, and this does remind abit of the Lacy-Calzaghe situation.

Lots of 'punchers' have great amateur records and experience. That certainly doesn't mean they are unbeatable. And even though he had a good amount of amateur fights, didn't he fight mainly at domestic and European level? Regardless, he has a very good style for the Pro game, because he's a devastating puncher. But I don't see how he can win on points against Cleverly who threw 1000 punches in his last fight.

And getting robbed? I don't know where this is coming from, I don't think fights in Britain are known to be crooked. The only title fight I can think of in recent times was Dirrell-Froch and no matter how you look at that fight, it was close.
                  Agreed, he isn't unbeatable but I don't think cleverly will create that many problems for kovalev. He will back him up because physically he is big and could bully him around the ring. But kovalev's power is too much IMO. Throwing 1000 punches is impressive but meaningless if they don't do anything throwing. 100 effective punches is much better than throwing 1000 punches that may not even hurt opposition. Last crooked fight that comes to mind was bellew chilemba 1&2. Most people that didn't have that British bias had chilemba winning.

So I would say there is a good chance of robbery considering its warrens child. Lol

Comment

To me it's Kovalev. Different people look at things differently, Campillo should've had wins over Cloud and Shumenov, but I know some people feel fighters should only be rated by the official results.

Bellew is a good win but it was close and I recall a lot of people seeing it differently to the judges. Murat I don't really rate at all, although Clev did perform well that night and raised his stock at least in my eyes.

Kovalev just has that one notable win, but knocking out Campillo in 3 is much more impressive than a close decision over Bellew, and Cleverly's other wins aren't significant enough to give him a better resume imo.

Comment

Originally posted by shenmue View Post
                      Exactly, The opposite is more likely to happen and that is kovalev making Cleverly back up. It really is an interesting match up because of the styles of the two fighters.

One thing that concerns me about kovalev is that we don't know how good his stamina is, The Russian last night looked good until he shot his load for example. I know Clev has great Stamina

I agree with Arsene (who really should win some silverware next season, or its starting to become a joke) That Cleverly's best chance of winning is Backing kovalev up but its a lot easier said than done.

Call me a pessimist, but i still have my doubts this fight will happen, seems to good to be true for a Fish eyes promoted fighter. remember kovalev isn't even mandatory.
                      Agreed, it's likely that kovalev will make cleverly back up. Because the power is very much a big player in this fight. Stamina is also on my mind I didn't expect rakhim to gas out like that. And competing with an athletic fighter like cleverly will cause a few issues for kovalev

Comment

Working...
                      X