Forbes says Mayweather lost Showtime

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
    Maybe for Viacom but Showtime losing that much is a very big deal
    Showtime is owned by CBS, the most watched tv network.
    Last edited by RespekonMyName; 06-11-2013, 10:05 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tha_Greatest View Post
      manny pacquiao is , lol, im not even a pacman fan and his fans are legitimate fans, floyd fans are basically riding on floyds **** till he loses, lol, then your next favorite fighter will be broner or ward, ward doesnt even have fans but he at least deserves all the accolades he gets while floyd is vacationing or dancing with the stars again , lol, broner sukks and that aint no joke either , resume wise he is overarated by morons that watch boxing like ross, lol, he said broner was a top 10 p4p fighter then i made his azz recant what he said , floyd will wind up destroying gbp relations with showtime for being a cherry picking dilusional arrogant basterd that he is, lol true ****in story lil homie
      In the in the 7 years that I've known you this is the best post I've read from you, nothing but truth......

Comment

• Originally posted by Master Chief View Post
        Who out there for the remaining 4 fights will generate the profits?

So is Mayweather to only make 32 Mil each fight?

How much do you think he will make with Canelo?

Mayweather is a proven PPV star, I would think that Showtime offered him the deal because they felt he would make them a profit from the very first fight.

Investing in a boxer is always risky, especially a 36 year old one. It sounds fairly stupid to go into it assuming a big loss such as 12 million when a fighter can get injured... maybe he will go prison again etc...

1) Outside of Canelo and Pac there are no opponents for Floyd who will push them past the break even point. This has to have Showtime terrified. I think it's safe to say they are praying that Canelo makes it a very tough fight that justifies a rematch that would give them one more profitable endeavor.

I get a kick out of the British people who think Khan is a big time name who makes a worthy PPV adversary for Floyd. Somehow to them backyard attendance in the UK makes their fighters big PPV stars worldwide. Go figure.

2) I think Mayweather could make quite a bit of money for Canelo. That does nothing for Showtime however. Once they are past break even Floyd keeps a huge chunk and if they are paying him 50 million like some people allege then they will have to do around 1.8 million buys just to break even and over 2 million buys to recoup any losses and close to the 2.5 million record if they want to brace themselves for the future losses. We should keep in mind Canelo will make significantly more money than Guerrero did, further hurting Showtime's financial predicament.

3) We shouldn't act like ****ty contracts are unheard of. Or that one awful contract can't destroy an entire long term business strategy.

Look at baseball and ARod's 200 million contract he signed with the Texas Rangers. It sunk the entire franchise and set them back 4-5 years and only after relieving themselves of that contractual burden did they become a World Series winning franchise.

Did they give a crap about having the best player in baseball at any cost? No. Did they talk about how it was worth every dollar because it attracted new fans? No.

They cut ties with him and shipped him off to the next sucker on the line (Yankees) and Texas has been the much better team spending less money ever since.

Now the big difference here is that some billionaire sports franchise owners, unlike Showtime, don't care about losing money if they think they can win. They have private wealth and nobody can tell them how to spend their money.

Showtime on the other hand is part of a publicly traded entity and they are responsible to their share holders to not only show a profit, but to consistently show more profit year over year.

I saw someone earlier talk about how many million CBS made last year and how losing 12 million doesn't matter as a result. Pure stupidity and financial ignorance.

Stock analysts take that profit from last year and project a greater profit for this year. If/when CBS fails to hit that number their stock takes a significant hit and it costs the company tens of millions of dollars in market cap.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vilicious86 View Post
          Showtime is owned by CBS, the most watched tv network.
          Vilicious86, you are one of the sheeple!! you do not understand anything about money!!! Your answer to the arguments presented to you Floyd lovers was, its ok because CBS is the most watched tv network. haha What does that have to do with anything that has been said. I have read ( so you can too,presumably) that showtime boxing is a division of CBS. I am quite sure that is true and therefore, they have a budget. If CBS has major losses in the boxing division of their company, changes will be made; either Floyd goes or the boxing goes, but they will not continue to take a loss.

Has anyone else noticed that there aren't many *****s on this thread? I think it is because they know the truth on this one or they can't count. Where are they????

Comment

• Originally posted by Paragonpony View Post
            Vilicious86, you are one of the sheeple!! you do not understand anything about money!!! Your answer to the arguments presented to you Floyd lovers was, its ok because CBS is the most watched tv network. haha What does that have to do with anything that has been said. I have read ( so you can too,presumably) that showtime boxing is a division of CBS. I am quite sure that is true and therefore, they have a budget. If CBS has major losses in the boxing division of their company, changes will be made; either Floyd goes or the boxing goes, but they will not continue to take a loss.

Has anyone else noticed that there aren't many *****s on this thread? I think it is because they know the truth on this one or they can't count. Where are they????
            Originally posted by Vilicious86 View Post
            I stand by what I said. Losing $12 million won't destroy the company and can be recouped in the future. Showtime is owned by CBS, the most watched TV network. CBS made a NET PROFIT of $363 million in 2012, up 80% from $202 million in 2011. It's not the end of the world.
            My original post is above. I couldn't care less what Mayweather or Showtime makes. I just think people need to calm down drawing so many conclusions from an unconfirmed number. No company wants to lose $12 million, but I'm sure Showtime will take lessons from this if they really lost that amount. Floyd-Canelo will be huge, so we'll have to wait to see how things turn out.

Comment

• I still can't believe some of you guys are defending a 12m dollar loss.... To the first point of exposure, by exposure you mean Floyd's worst ppv numbers since he's been the a side of a ppv? Next you have no idea about the boxing business, the profit margins for showtime and hbo are extremely thin. They make money obviously but with how it is all split up their margins are minimal. In other words a 12m loss for one card is just unheard of. I bet Espinoza is on the hot seat as we speak praying to god this canelo fight is a monster 1.5+. Cause if this fight turns out to be 1.1-1.2 he's definately losing his job along with mayweather. I wonder if hbo dropped golden boy planning on the mayweathers fights to suck up a large portion of the showtime budget, forcing gb to come back on their knees. I also agree that hbo probably fell out of their chairs when al Hamon asked for 30+ mil gaurentees to fight the likes of Alexander and Guerrero.
              Last edited by Flash13; 06-12-2013, 02:40 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by lfc19titles View Post
                I find it hilarious at the fools who think this is nothing big, "you don't understand business"

like the guy who posted above me, what are you smoking?

do you seriously think they signed floyd as a long term investment? are you stupid? floyd is a short term investment which is backfiring

you pay someone millions, you expect a return of some sort, golden boy is the long term investment for showtime, they would want them to be their partners for the next 30 years if they can do so

this will sting, like any investment, if 5 are made, 4 make a profit and 1 makes a loss, you get rid of the loss, simple as that, floyd is on a last chance, all of his next fights must be big, one more flop and showtime will fire his ass, mark my words.

it does not matter if they are making hundreds of millions profit, its the fact they are so far making a loss on the mayweather investment

boxer15 whatever, please educate yourself in how investments work dude, what you just posted was incorrect in so many ways
                It's not exactly subjective......a six-fight deal is a long term investment....It doesn't have to be 30 years to be a long-term investment. I understand business, whether you acknowledge it or not doesn't exactly concern me.

Comment

• Originally posted by racer59 View Post
                  Where did you get your MBA? University of Phoenix??? This was not an M&A deal here. Long term investments as a result of acquisition MAY result in an early reported loss due to financing of the deal.

This investment was based on projections. You don't provide guarantee's if the projections dont justify it. The fact is, the Guerrero fight missed by a country mile.
                  I'm currently in an MBA program at the University of Massachusetts. I'm not even going to respond to anything else, because I will just be repeating myself, but just understand your reply didn't have any influence on my opinion/statement at all.

Comment

• It takes 2 to tangle, Floyd has no one else to tangle with. IE...Other huge draws in the sport. See...Tyson had Lewis, Holyfield, and etc...all of those dudes were draws on there own.

And people stop comparing Floyd to Pacquiao, Im sure that Pac couldn't fulfill a 32 million fight contract either..lol all of his PPV buys are way less than Floyd.

Comment

• In the end it's Showtimes fault for not knowing the sport well enough and doing research that would have told them "Hey, this guy can't draw and live up to his end of the bargain due to the level of competition or draw power out there"

They should have never offered it

Comment

Working...
                      X